My Brew Pot Stinks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaker33

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I was at a party this weekend and offered up my brew pot to boil about a dozen lobsters at a time. Once I was done, I made sure to clean it pretty good, but the pot still has the smell like the sea. Now, I was at the ocean, so it is possible that the water in general just smelled that way and that could be my problem. I will be cleaning it again tonight with clean tap water to see if that does it. If it doesn't what should I do? It's a stainless steel pot, so I would not think any odors would be absorbed or anything.

Do a hot soak with PBW (or Oxyclean) with as hot of water as your tap puts out. Let that soak overnight and clean it out tomorrow. You will be fine. Not so much if it were aluminum.

If it's aluminum, you could clean it but then you'd have to re-season it, FYI. Plus, the Aluminum would likely hold onto the odors more, because it's a bit more porous (the oxidation layer anyway)

If it's aluminum, you could clean it but then you'd have to re-season it, FYI. Plus, the Aluminum would likely hold onto the odors more, because it's a bit more porous (the oxidation layer anyway)

From experience, you will NEVER get an aluminum pot clean after boiling seafood in it. Seriously. Especially lobsters.

good thing he said in posts #1 and #3 that it's stainless :D

To talk yourself out of it, put some water in your lobster pot (sans more lobsters...at least to start:)) then smell that oily water when it get good and hot. If that makes you think, "Mmmm good beer" you have strange taste even by my standards.

:mug:

Do a hot soak with PBW (or Oxyclean) with as hot of water as your tap puts out. Let that soak overnight and clean it out tomorrow. You will be fine. Not so much if it were aluminum.

Could Oxyclean be used as the sanitizer on brewday as well? I see a lot of people referring to it, but I would imagine it would need to be rinsed like mad to get rid of the baddies...

Could Oxyclean be used as the sanitizer on brewday as well? I see a lot of people referring to it, but I would imagine it would need to be rinsed like mad to get rid of the baddies...

Oxyclean is not a sanitizer. Use Iodophore or Starsan for your final rinse. I much prefer PBW to Oxyclean because you have to rinse Oxyclean like a mad man. IMO it needs at least 3 hot rinses then a cold rinse. PBW needs one rinse of any temp and it is good.

1084262939_1c57183e85.jpg

My dad has a soap made by Vineco that will take just about anything out of brewing equipment. It even removes the red from red wine from his primary. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. It is a powder and mixes to a bright yellow green. That should work.

My dad has a soap made by Vineco that will take just about anything out of brewing equipment. It even removes the red from red wine from his primary. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. It is a powder and mixes to a bright yellow green. That should work.

caustic? I can't think of anything more powerful than PBW except for that.

Oxyclean is not a sanitizer. Use Iodophore or Starsan for your final rinse. I much prefer PBW to Oxyclean because you have to rinse Oxyclean like a mad man. IMO it needs at least 3 hot rinses then a cold rinse. PBW needs one rinse of any temp and it is good.

I rinse out Oxy once and its clean.

PBW is just Oxy with an acid added IIRC. They should only act differently if you've got really high ph/hard water.

Back