my Belgian Golden Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredthecat

The original homebrewer™.
Reaction score
Does this sound about right? this will be my second all grain batch, and i'm aiming for something simple in the form of a golden beer for summer. i would add aromatic (also no biscuit malt) but i cant get it around here and was trying to figure out if i should substitute 1lb of the pilsener malt for anything else? i want a somewhat dry golden here balanced between light biscuity malt and hop flavour, though i dont know exactly how it will turn out

-5kg (11 lb) pilsener
-0.5lb flaked oats (ask if you can just use quickoats)

-1oz styrian golding @ 60 min
-1oz saaz @ 30 min

safale t-58 yeast, recommended starter on their site (i dont have access to any liquid yeasts)

appreciate any suggestions at all, including style changes!

cool, i toasted them in the oven this afternoon and am letting them mellow as suggested on related oat toasting pages, hopefully ill brew this on friday or saturday!

not sure about oats in a belgian, i would also think you would want a little sugar in the recipe.....

You may want to ditch the oats, use a little biscuit or aromatic malt, sugar and pilsener extract.

Pilsen base
4 oz biscuit
1 pound sugar
belgian yeast
noble hops

sounds good to me

since you aren't brewing for a little while, get your hiney to the beer store and grab a chimay..harvest the yeast and use that. I have a nice light golden belgian that I brewed with Chimay yeast, pilsen and sugar......

does chimay bottle with their yeast though? im not sure? also, im hoping to definitely do this on the weekend while ive still got big chunks of ice around i can use for cooling (im poor)

also unfortunately dont have access to either aromatic or biscuit :( so i think im going to use 0.5lb toasted oat and 0.5lb wheat malt along with one pound of sugar or candy

Back