my bar build-tracking my progress here-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PM me if you want. I have a BUTTLOAD of caps I can send you. Seriously. I have a foot tall "brandy snifter" sitting on my bar, overflowing with caps... and there are very few BCM ones in there.

From the look of the pics, i could finish your bar with them no problem.

Just bounce me your address if you want 'em and I'll ship 'em to you.

I won't even charge you. All I ask in return is two things:
1) you post a pic of all of the caps in the bar!
2) You admit that the New England Patriots are by FAR and away the most dominant franchise between them and the Colts.

That's all I ask.

wow. thanks man! i'll pm you my address.

i'll have no problem posting up pics, i plan on doing that once it's all done anyways.

and as far as admiting the patriots are better than the colts, sure, i'll admit that. but don't take my opinion too seriously, i don't even know the name of more than a handfull of the colts players, and the only patriot's name i know is tom brady. i didn't even watch the colts game when they were in the superbowl a couple years ago. i live, and was born and raised in INDIANA, we're a basketball state. :D all these "colts fans" are either transplants from other states, or are just confused from when bobby knight got fired. it wasn't more than 4 years ago when we were practically begging the colts to leave the state, and go somewhere else, and then they have a good year, win the superbowl, and they build some big a$$ stadium, and now when i buy chicken nuggets i have to shell out more money for a dumb freaking "tax" for a sport, stadium that is too big and expensive, for a sport that i don't care about! i honestly couldn't give two sh!ts about football. i'm just glad you didn't ask me to admit something silly like Boston College basketball was better than Indiana University basketball. :mug:

That got me wondering. I did some searching and this product looks interesting. I'm not sure what it costs, but it could work.

Californianeon

I called them. it sells by the linear foot. a 1" wide strand is $15 a foot, a 2" wide strand is $25 a foot. not too bad, BUT, it requires a special power adapter dealy, which is $300 :(

i'm really not going to be able to shell out quite that much, i'll probably just go with some l.e.d. rope lighting.

Wow, your bar looks stellar! I am also impressed with the speed of your progress. I spent 4 months last winter on my Man Room (cigar lounge) and there are still a few finishing touches to be done!

I called them. it sells by the linear foot. a 1" wide strand is $15 a foot, a 2" wide strand is $25 a foot. not too bad, BUT, it requires a special power adapter dealy, which is $300 :(

i'm really not going to be able to shell out quite that much, i'll probably just go with some l.e.d. rope lighting.

For backlighting, something cheap like LED ropes would probably work. If you have any shapes you want to outline though, check out EL (electroluminescent) wire. It's pretty commonly used by case modders making cool computers, but I've also seen it used in cars and things like that. Far and away the coolest use I've seen though was on a couch. All the seams had EL wire run along them, so when it was dark the couch was outlined in neon. That stuff is flexible and can be pretty tough too, so it was cool to be able to just sit right down on it. The couch also had two LCD TV's, two 15" subs built underneath, etc.

or you could just make a cool suit out of it
10_MeKeVoRkA.jpg

no problem at all. I remember building my bar and how anxious I was to get it done. You sitting there, having the whole thing held up because you needed caps, when I had a ton of them just sitting behind the bar... that's crazy.

Hell... I think it's cool that my caps are going to out to Indiana and are going to be part of a cool lookin' bar. That was worth the price of postage.

I'll print out a pic when it's done and tack it on the wall or something... that way I can tell my regulars, "Yeah, see that bar? It's out in Indiana... see all those caps?? A bunch of them were from beers your drank."

then i saw this and realized its just another delusional pats fan looking to get a deal on his bottle caps.

Greatest... team.... EVER!! :rockin::rockin::rockin:

Claiming anything else does nothing but place a white-hot spotlight on your shear ignorance of the sport.

joking... but the Pats do rule. 19-0 this year. It's comin'. They got robbed on it before and they're gonna do it this year.

sorry... :off:

enjoy the caps!

got quite a bit done this weekend, considering all the "other" work i had to do.
first off, i got the caps in the mail, once again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. it should be more then enough to fill up the top.

ok, i got my hand railing put up, got the rest of the bar top all trimmed out, got the plywood put up on the face of the bar, painted it white, put up two 48ft rope lights, difused the light with some plastic, framed out with 1x2's off the face of the bar to put the glass blocks 1 3/4" away from the plywood/rope lights, and anchored the glass blocks to the wall with 1/4" X 6" long chrome bolts on each corner.

also, framed up a sort of rectangle on the end wall of the bar where i was short the oak handrailing piece, and am putting 5 hooks inside to house five personalized beer mugs for the guys.

planning on staining all the trim dark walnut this week, and poly'ing the shiznit out of it all.

i'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and getting REALLY excited about this project, and it actually looks like a bar now. i'm still suprised that everything is as square, solid, and nice as it is. i had ZERO idea what i was doing, i have never built anything before really, as close to this magnitude, and i used mostly hand tools, nothing fancy, and i'm very damn proud of how it's come along!

close up of the trim
SANY0879.JPG

SANY0875.JPG

SANY0881.JPG

photos really don't do the block lighting justice. it's flippin' sweet in person.

SANY0882.JPG

Did the caps show up?? If they didn't make it Saturday, they should definitely be there today. It was supposed to be two-day delivery from Thursday morning.

Did the caps show up?? If they didn't make it Saturday, they should definitely be there today. It was supposed to be two-day delivery from Thursday morning.

yes, they showed up saturday. thanks again, thanks a TON, i laid them all out, and picked out the few BMC's out of there, and there are plenty to cover the whole bartop, so i'm in business! :ban:

i also got a little better photo of the illuminated blocks, with my better camera, and no flash.

this is more of how it looks in person, the plastic i used to diffuse the light evens it out more, and has less definition of the actual ropes, and more just even, diffused light, making the blocks kind of "glow".

DSC_4117.JPG

got the stuff stained last night. it looks AWESOME!

DSC_4113.JPG

DSC_4120.JPG

SANY0885.JPG

Goodgodman this is looking really great! I just noticed the old-timey phone hanging up in the background of the last photo. Is that an actual working bar-phone or is it just there for coolness?

-Tripod

Goodgodman this is looking really great! I just noticed the old-timey phone hanging up in the background of the last photo. Is that an actual working bar-phone or is it just there for coolness?

-Tripod

thanks!

it's a working phone, but we don't even have "land line" phone service at the house, so it's just for coolness right now.

started putting the caps on the bartop last night.
here's a few photos, had a lil help from my friends. :)

i just brushed on a layer of poly on the top, and then stuck the caps on it, and "dribbled" some poly on top of the caps, in hopes it would sort of "stick" them to the top so that when i poured the epoxy, it wouldn't make the caps float all around, and this morning they were stuck, so woo hoo, it should work!

stuff_443.jpg

us sorting through the caps-
stuff_477.jpg

the mug holder/shelf thingie
stuff_457.jpg

dude, money bar. love the light up blocks, the top, trim, it's all nice! can't wait to see the shot of a bunch of peeps in it drinking all your brew.

update_

glycol lines/trunk line has been completed, five perlick 525ss faucets are hooked up to 4" shanks onto a license plate box thingie i made, bartop is completely covered in caps now, 5 coats of poly on all the trim. all i really have left to do is a little bit more trim around the license plate piece, a little bit of trim around the corner of where the glass blocks meet, and epoxy over the caps, and barstools. woohoo! beer is flowing now!

sorry for the links, instead of the photos. i just realized i've been "demoted" to just "regular" member, and i don't have the cash to re-upgrade because well, i've been spending every last penny building a kick ass bar! :cross:

im using the magic chef 7.2cf freezer, it holds six kegs. five are for beer, and one is a corny with a bad lid, i took the lid off, and have a pond pump in the bottom of it pulling glycol/water mix up and out of the keezer through 1/2" id vinyl hose through the wall, then it's got 90 degree brass fittings to send it back into the keezer and returns back into the keg.

the five beer lines are then black taped directly next to those two 1/2" glycol lines, and the whole assembly was wrapped in pipe insulation, and then three layers of duct tape wrapped all around the insulation making my own sort of makeshift trunk line. it is working just fine so far!

Do you have the pump and the glycol on all the time?

Interesting idea and somehitng I may have to borrow

With the possible exception of boobies, that is quite simply the greatest thing I've ever seen. My man-crush has grown exponentially larger. Nice job. :D

I like all of the repurposed stuff you have: records, bottle caps, license plates... I'm totally living vicariously through you :)

Latest posts

Back