MW Rocky Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redpenguin01

Reaction score
I brewed up a batch of Midwest's Rocky Pale Ale on 8/7/11 and I've gotta say, what an awesome brew.

The original recipe called for:
3lbs Breiss DME
3.3lbs Gold LME
1.5lb Caramel 60L Grains
6oz. Dark Crystal Grains
1/2 oz. Magnum Pellet Hops (13.1%AA) -60min boil
1oz. Ahtanum Pellet Hops (4.5%AA) - 15min boil
1/4tbsp Irish Moss
1pckt Wyast London ESB #1968

I modified the original recipe slightly. The kit came with an extra 1/2oz of Magnum hops, so I added that in for a 30min boil. I also grabbed an extra 1oz Cascade leaf hops to add to the fermenter. I added a little bit more Gold LME I had laying around to acheive an OG of 1.061. Man, what a balanced brew.
101_0659p.jpg

101_0665sp.jpg

Fermentation temps ranged from 68-72F the entire time. Dry hops added on 8/21/11. Bottled on 8/31/11. I am absolutely surprised by how this one came out. Dark amber color, slightly malty, slightly hoppy. Very similar to a Stone Pale Ale. Probably one of my best brews yet.

I am sipping on a glass right now in the middle of my physics homework (which probably won't help much). Just thought I'd share an experience and modification to the recipe that worked great.
Cheers.

~RP

Back