Must have grains/hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gclay

Reaction score
Ok so just spoke with the wife about a storefront. Basically I have to find out what the top 5-10 grains and 5-10 hops are to sell and where to get decent rates. I also have to find out how much it'll cost me to setup the store front. I'm a stay at home dad so I've got all the time in the world to work on this.

So what are the must have grains So far I figure...

2-row
munich
crystal (at least 2 degrees)
roasted barley
chocolate
pilsner
caramel (at least 2)

Hops are ...

Northern brewer
Challenger
Simcoe (I wish)
Amarillo
Warrior
Pride of ringwood (i like)
Magnum
Galena
Centennial

Feel free to change any of this list. I'm not looking to get rich. As long as I break even I'll be happy, it's just about having what people need. And the smell of fresh grains in the house won't hurt :)

I've seen them listed as seperate (Homebrew-supplies.ca) I've never used them.

Domestic 2-row
European Pils
British Pale
Vienna
Munich
Chocolate
Carafa Special III Dehusked
Roast Barley
Biscuit
Pale Wheat
C-40
C-80
Special B

Magnum
Cascade
EKG
Hallertauer
Centennial
Simcoe
Saaz
Tettnanger
Fuggles
Amarillo

What's local competition like? What's going to be your niche? You may find that carrying a wider selection will win you customers. It may be better service or lower prices on the standard stuff. Checking out your competitors and casually squeezing any info from them you can would be one of my first moves.

I've always thought of crystal and caramel as being the same - or at least US/Canadian and UK versions of the same thing. I would stock three varieties of the domestic version, for sure 20 L, maybe 60L and 120L.

So that frees up room for two more grains. Perhaps biscuit, or victory, or vienna? Or Maris Otter?

For the hops, I think you would have to include Cascades (might be the most popularly used and modest priced hop today), either East Kent Goldings or Fuggles (which are standard for english ales, and a noble hop like Hallertauer or Saaz.

Edit: basically what everybody above me said ;)

Just my $.02. I really only use my local homebrew stores for the selection on specialty grains, hops and yeast. I keep 50 pound sacks or 2 row, marris otter, munich, and carapils around and 10 pounds sacks of vienna, chocolate, crystal/caramel (same thing) 20, 60 and 120, and caramunich. I also have pound bags of magnum, hallertau, and sazz on hand for hops.

If there are many consumers like me, then your selection is what would win me over. If not, than your plan sounds good!

There's only the one LHBS here so local competition isn't a big deal and he only has 5 types of grains. I can't find anything in Barrie, yellow.ca doesn't really tell you much. For local shipping, within 30 mins my wife would deliver personally. I'll just start with 10 and if it works out I'll add more inventory. I've never ordered online grains, how are they shipped, hopefully not zip lock bags.

Grains:
British Pale
C-40
C-60
C-80
Carapils
Chocolate
Domestic 2-row
Munich
Pilsner
Roast Barley
Special B
Vienna

Below is the Hop and the substitute.

Hop and Substitute
Amarillo = Cascade, Centennial
Cascade = Centennial
Centennial = Galena, Eroica, Nugget, Bullion
EKG = Fuggles, BC Goldings
Perle = Chinook, Galena, Northern Brewer
Hallertauer = Hallertauer, Mt. Hood, Liberty, Crystal
Magnum
Saaz = German Tettnang, Spalt, Spalt Select
Simcoe
Tettnanger = Saaz, Spalt

Go to homebrewtalk and look at Group Buys. You will save alot of money!!!

There's only the one LHBS here so local competition isn't a big deal and he only has 5 types of grains. I can't find anything in Barrie, yellow.ca doesn't really tell you much. For local shipping, within 30 mins my wife would deliver personally. I'll just start with 10 and if it works out I'll add more inventory. I've never ordered online grains, how are they shipped, hopefully not zip lock bags.

In heavy duty vaccuum sealed bags.

Another thing to consider...Is there enough demand in your area for a homebrew shop? I don't want to take the wind out of your sales, but I would rather be considered a debbie downer if it saved you a lot of money in a failed business.

You could also stock complete starter kits and hold classes/demostrations where participants can opt to purchase the equipment or something. Just an idea to widen your customer base!

I'm not an extract brewer, but I know there are a LOT of them out there. It wouldn't hurt to have a 15 gal barrel of extra light LME and Wheat LME, or get the same in DME in bulk. Can't add much on grains (bases seem to be covered), but I would note that quality may be a factor to consider (e.g. I think British roasted barley is far superior to American). Also, are there particular beer styles that are more prevalent in your area that will clue you in on hops selection (e.g. here in the NW you better have a big supply of C hops and the like)?

edit: A mill would be nice, so you could give your customers the option of milling their grains for them.

Well with a store front and a legit business you will qualify to be a dealer for the supply companies and get wholesale pricing. Now you have to offer friendly service and the right ingredients. Customer service is very important in a store front where people doing business with you. Also, consider selling beer and wine to attract more than just homebrewers. How many stores around you sell really good mirco's? If you can get some good beers your local stores don't carry that will help.

Well I would start with say an initial investment of $2000, then I'd invest more as monthly sales demand. So $2000 isn't that much, I was planning on buying a boat next year but it can wait. I even thought about getting permission from board members to sell kits based on their recipes. Maybe even send them a cut of the pie :) Hell if it doesn't work I will have enough grain to last me 5 or 10 years :)

There's 4 wine making shops in town (that I know of) so wine is out, wouldn't be able to sell it. We only have LCBO and The Beer Store around here. We can't sell in stores like the states do, I wish. I thought about a barley crusher, or making one myself with large rollers and hopper. right now I do all my grinding with a rolling pin, sucked when I had to grind 25#'s.

Well I would start with say an initial investment of $2000, then I'd invest more as monthly sales demand. So $2000 isn't that much, I was planning on buying a boat next year but it can wait. I even thought about getting permission from board members to sell kits based on their recipes. Maybe even send them a cut of the pie :) Hell if it doesn't work I will have enough grain to last me 5 or 10 years :)

What my LHBS does is keeps the grains sealed up in their original bulk amounts. The customers come in and ask for a specific weight. The store employee then mills the grain if the customer wants it or not, then vacuum packs it for them!

If starting a business the boat will be out because you won't have time to use it anyway. Don't forget about money for display shelves and other type stuff. Advertising is key as well.

$2000 won't get you very far since you need a storefront, mill, storage containers, hop freezers, business licenses, and, of course, ingredients. You may try to get a zoning exemption to sell online out of your residence and save some up-front money that way.

WHAT WAIT?! SWMBO lets you stay home, and you get to make beer? WTF did I do wrong.

You should add Columbus and Cascade to your list. Fuggles or EKG, and a german noble hop.

You need some wheat malt. I think you could actually have a lot of different speciality malts, because, you won't need a ton. You could just order a couple pounds from another homebrew shop, just to have them if you need them. A lot of recipes only need a half pound of special b or something like that.

WHAT WAIT?! SWMBO lets you stay home, and you get to make beer? WTF did I do wrong.

I would be just having an internet presence, until it takes off that is. If I find I only sell say $200/month I'd never make it with a physical store.

I suffer from a type of agoraphobia, I can't go places where there's a lot of people so it limits my employment opportunities. I leave the house basically once a month to "get out" and go shopping, always when the stores aren't busy.

I would be just having an internet presence, until it takes off that is. If I find I only sell say $200/month I'd never make it with a physical store.

I suffer from a type of agoraphobia, I can't go places where there's a lot of people so it limits my employment opportunities. I leave the house basically once a month to "get out" and go shopping, always when the stores aren't busy.

I own an operate a internet store front. I am internet only and don't want to go store front because I have a very good full time job that I don't feel I could give up and benefit.

The tough thing about online sales is letting people know who you are and why they should buy from you vs. the other online stores in the same industry. My industry is not HBS and I have a large internet presence in my industry. In peak season I can do up to $30,000 a month in sales with very low overhead. As a matter of fact most of my product I drop ship from the suppliers. This may not be possible in the brew supply business.

To get sales you really have to promote. I do about $5000 a year in advertisement online and trade shows. None of this is easy but if you start slow you can start up with a fairly low budget. Then you have to push, push, push your business as much as you can to grow it.

I was in Orillia yesterday at the Country Style just down from Front St. If you were operational I'd have bought!

B

I'm just across from Teletech if you know where that is, just off Old Barrie Road. Let me know next time you're in town. I think a coffee shop is ok. Oh yeah I used to make donuts for that place.

Back