Must Go Places in Nashville

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickle29

Reaction score
The wife and I are headed to Nashville for a few days next month. Does anyone have some recommendations for breweries, brew pubs, or anywhere else that's a must-stop while we're down in that area?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You absolutely must go to the Corsair distillery and do a tour. It is next to Antique Archeology in the bottoms

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You absolutely must go to the Corsair distillery and do a tour. It is next to Antique Archeology in the bottoms

Not sure where 'the bottoms' are... Corsair is in Marathon Village.

Check out the Flying Saucer, Edley's BBQ, Yazoo's taproom. Pick up a Scene Magazine (for free) when you arrive, plenty of stuff to see/do in there. There are lots of public music events and festivals going on in the summer that are awesome.
Not sure if you're travelling with kids, but if not you have to go honky tonkin down on Broadway. Check out the Country music Hall of Fame (even if you're not huge on Country, it's a blast) Also a tour of Ryman Auditorium is pretty awesome

I used to hit the old Yazoo tap room before they moved. Loved that place. The Sportsman Bar (or is it Grill?) is pretty good too over there by Vandy. Demos was another placed I loved.

Looks like a lot has been added since I've been there. I made need to make a return trip.

Thanks for the quick suggestions! We'll definitely be going to the Country Music Hall of Fame (one of the main reasons for our trip). I'll make sure we go check out Yazoo.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks for the quick suggestions! We'll definitely be going to the Country Music Hall of Fame (one of the main reasons for our trip). I'll make sure we go check out Yazoo.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Blackstone Restaurant & Brewery is pretty good. Been there a few times when up there and enjoyed the food. I pick up a sixer here and there of some of their beers down here when I'm out.

Jackalope is another one that may be worth checking out, though I have no experience of them. I did have their Thunder Ann pale ale at a place in Chattanooga and thought it was pretty good. If I ever make a trip back to the music city, I want to check that place out.

On another note, I (finally) brewed a Yazoo Dos Perros clone.

I appreciate the suggestions. I'm hoping to hit up as many of the small breweries as possible while we're down there.

If you want to get out of Nashville for an afternoon, Turtle Anarchy down in Franklin puts out some great beers. The Evil Octopus is a Black IPA that is my favorite of the style, and the Velvet Hustle is one of my wife's favorites. I've never been to their taproom, so can't comment on that but Franklin has a lot of Civil War sites that are worth checking out, and is a neat smallish town.

Jackelope is okay, Thunder Anne is the best that I've had from them, but the taproom is right near my Local HBS (All Seasons) and is worth stopping in to say hi.

Nashville's beer scene has stepped up substantially since i moved here in 2008, so it's not hard to find decent selections if you're just out and about and dipping into bars. Like I mentioned before, pick up a Scene and find some bands to go see, there will (probably) be good beer there.

I did a little looking around and found Turtle Anarchy, and I'm definitely gonna get down there and try it.

I'm assuming I can pick up a Scene just about anywhere?

My 2 favorites are Yazoo & Turtle Anarchy.
And while you're on Division st at Yazoo, Frugal Macdoogal is a pretty good place to get beer.

I did a little looking around and found Turtle Anarchy, and I'm definitely gonna get down there and try it.

I'm assuming I can pick up a Scene just about anywhere?

Yeah, just look around for those free weekly paper stands. Are you staying in a hotel? They should have them. Google 'Nashville Scene' and they've got a pretty thorough website

My 2 favorites are Yazoo & Turtle Anarchy.
And while you're on Division st at Yazoo, Frugal Macdoogal is a pretty good place to get beer.

I forgot about Frugal McDoogal. Love that place.

There's also the Gibson Guitar Factory. That's something I want to do myself on my next trip up there.

Not sure if it's your thing, but there is a kick ass restaurant called Husk located near downtown http://www.husknashville.com/ . It's a bit spendy and I felt a bit out of place, but I took my parents there last month and we all agreed it was one of the best meals we have ever had.

One of my favorites is 12 South Taproom. The PourHouse next to Frugal MacDougall is also good. M.L. Rose is another good beer/eatery. If you're a guitar player check out Cotten Music Center.

Best kept secret for great beer is a small place called craft brewed... its in downtown Nashville. Its more of a store with both a low gravity side and a seperate adjoining side for high gravity with sitting area inside and out along with about 30 crats on tap. Love the place.

I appreciate it, everyone. I got myself a pretty good list of places to check out while we're down there.

We hit up the following breweries while we were down in Nashville.

Yazoo Brewing Company
Turtle Anarchy Brewing Company
Cool Springs Brewery
Blackstone Brewing Company

Yazoo was hands down our favorite brewery, and had our favorite beer, a smoked porter named Sue. This place is a definite must-visit for anyone that's visiting or passing through Nashville.

Turtle Anarchy was a brewery I definitely want to go back to. They had some really nice offerings, including 5 different versions of their porter (standard, w/ chiles, w/ peanut butter, w/ coconut, and on nitro). All but the chiles were very, very good. They're also in the process of greatly expanding and will be canning some of their offerings by 2015.

Cool Springs was the most hit-or-miss brewery we visited. The Mango IPA was fantastic, and their Tripel and Quad were both very good, too. But they had this Mt. Dew ESB that was supposed to taste like Mt. Dew. It was completely awful. It tasted like someone pissed in Mt. Dew that had sat out in 110 degree heat for a month. To their credit, this was a "special" brew that was done by a winner of some contest. They don't ever plan to do it agian.

Blackstone Brewing Company was just your average run-of-the-mill restaurant/brewery combination. Nothing special there.

Fat Bottom and Jackalope both have great tap rooms. Jackalope is just down the hill from Yazoo

We hit up the following breweries while we were down in Nashville.

Yazoo Brewing Company
Turtle Anarchy Brewing Company
Cool Springs Brewery
Blackstone Brewing Company

Yazoo was hands down our favorite brewery, and had our favorite beer, a smoked porter named Sue. This place is a definite must-visit for anyone that's visiting or passing through Nashville.

Turtle Anarchy was a brewery I definitely want to go back to. They had some really nice offerings, including 5 different versions of their porter (standard, w/ chiles, w/ peanut butter, w/ coconut, and on nitro). All but the chiles were very, very good. They're also in the process of greatly expanding and will be canning some of their offerings by 2015.

Cool Springs was the most hit-or-miss brewery we visited. The Mango IPA was fantastic, and their Tripel and Quad were both very good, too. But they had this Mt. Dew ESB that was supposed to taste like Mt. Dew. It was completely awful. It tasted like someone pissed in Mt. Dew that had sat out in 110 degree heat for a month. To their credit, this was a "special" brew that was done by a winner of some contest. They don't ever plan to do it agian.

Blackstone Brewing Company was just your average run-of-the-mill restaurant/brewery combination. Nothing special there.

Sounds like you had a good time there. Glad to hear. I need to go back. It's been a long time since I've visited Nashville.

Turtle Anarchy is one of my EVERYTIME hits when I go to Tullahoma for business. Love their beer, and if I could fly home with a keg of Another Way to Rye, I'd be really happy.....

Turtle Anarchy is one of my EVERYTIME hits when I go to Tullahoma for business. Love their beer, and if I could fly home with a keg of Another Way to Rye, I'd be really happy.....

Oh man. Another Way to Rye was absolutely superb. Creepy Dunkel and Infidelis Helles were my 2nd two favorites.

Yazoo, Piranhas for food, Tin Angel by Vandy (I don't think they serve breakfast anymore though)

So I know the visit is over but as mentioned for future visits:
Craft brewed, flying saucer, hops n crafts, and frugals(good place to get beer).

I am actually not a fan of any of the TN breweries but to each their own.

Latest posts

Back