Mushroom Extract for Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbredy66

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting in here, but could use with some input.

I am brewing a lighter saison-style beer with a basic recipe, that should be a nice beer on its own ~5 ABV. But I was interested in bumping up the funky/earthy flavors by adding an extract from some mushrooms.

I have 2 oz. of dried chanterelle and 1 oz. of dried porcini mushrooms. I have pretty much decided that I want to add the extract before bottling so I can dose the flavor and make sure it is not a horrible idea.

What I am trying to decide is if I should make a vodka extract with letting it sit for a week or if I should make a mushroom stock with just water. I'm worried the vodka will add too much alcoholic heat on the other hand I'm worried that the broth may not extract all the flavors.

I've had a couple other mushroom beers, and they have been very complex and tasty, and would like this to work out. Any thoughts?

Sounds awesome! I have never heard of a mushroom beer but have often said that I would eat mushrooms on cornflakes "if they let me!"

Have you thought about dry "hopping" the shroom in the fermenter or secondary for a few days? I am going to do this with peppers in a pale ale I have in the primary. Others use vodka for peppers to lessen the heat but would not know the first thing about use with porcini or chanterelle mushrooms.

Back