Mushroom Beer?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerisgud

Reaction score
I took on yet another hobby this year starting shiitake mushroom oak logs. If anyone is interested in the process I’d be happy to share. Has anyone tried one of these brews? What style was it? I’d love to use my homegrown in a batch. Thanks.

I'd just saute the 'shrooms in butter and/or olive oil, serve with favorate meat and/or vegitables, with bread, rice or perhaps pasta.

Enjoy with a nice chilled pint of homebrew.

A local brewery makes an annual mushroom ale. Not a huge fan. It’s essentially a very malty ale with just a hint of chanterelle aroma.
Normally I’d say it’s a waste of good eating shrooms but it sounds like you may have an abundance.
I think anything hoppy would overpower the delicate flavor and aroma. Shoot for malty and throw the shrooms in at the end of boil as well as dry hopping, although I don’t know if it would be susceptible to infection.

Good luck and we will only believe you if you include pics.

Maybe it takes a while to grow mushrooms.

I'm interested in anything uncommon wines, beer, liquor ect. But I think mushroom brandy might be interesting.

I just bottled a candy cap brew a few days ago, and it should be carb'd within the next week or so. I might try the caps in a few other styles if it works out okay in this one.

Nice, did you use the candy caps for the fermenting process or did you add yeast?

I just bottled a candy cap brew a few days ago, and it should be carb'd within the next week or so. I might try the caps in a few other styles if it works out okay in this one.
Sounds great I’ve read about the use of these.
Where did you find these? Did you pick them yourself?
I’ve used chanterelles is a recipe before but wasn’t too impressed. Honestly, I’d rather save the chanties for eating but I’ve never tried candy caps.

Nice, did you use the candy caps for the fermenting process or did you add yeast?

Still added yeast.

Sounds great I’ve read about the use of these.
Where did you find these? Did you pick them yourself?
I’ve used chanterelles is a recipe before but wasn’t too impressed. Honestly, I’d rather save the chanties for eating but I’ve never tried candy caps.

My neighbor has a few spots he forages, and he's a park worker so he knows all the local parks ("gotta get the mushrooms out of there so no on slips, trips, and falls" he tells me). We just got our first rains of the year, so I'm going to hit up the trails this weekend and see what I can find (only oysters and cauliflowers so far this season).

I got a bottle of grappa in Italy few years ago.... aged with black truffle.... i went back and tried to get some more but was not able to find it any anymore.
It was a very nice parfumed grappa...

The one recipe that I’ve gotten the most compliments on in the past 29 years has mushrooms in it. I don’t take a chance with the wild ones but buy a mix at the store.

Basic brewing has a podcast episode from a few years ago that got me started with mushrooms.

I have done chaga and black trumpets both were great beers but not much in Mushrooms flavor. Foraging mushrooms over twenty years.

Back