Muscovado into Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdfmorais

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to add muscovado sugar directly to primary without boiling it to preserve the flavour. I believe the best time to do it is when the fermentation is done and the alcohol is already present to avoid any contamination but it's the first time I'm attempting this and I would like some advice about it. Is there any other way of doing this?

You should have no problems. After active fermentation is done, the yeast counts will be so high that nothing will be able to compete and get a foothold in there.

I use Muscovado sugar regularly, and just add it to the whirlpool, when the wort is down to about 135F. Just hot enough to help dissolve it in the boil kettle, but keep the subtle aroma & flavor alive. If I forget this step, I have just thrown the sugar into the primary fermenter, either before adding wort, or afters. You should be just fine.
:mug:
--LexusChris

Back