Muscadine grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reapernazara

Reaction score
I was given some muscadine grape juice to attempt to make some wine out of it. I would like some suggestions on yeast for anyone familiar with this grape.

I'm making muscadine wine from my own vines. Started the process last fall. Someone suggested using Lalvin EC-1118 yeast, which I did. At this point, I'm back sweetening and waiting to see if any lees start falling. At last racking, the wine tasted dry, as expected, but very pleasing. I'm back sweetening to get a semi-sweet wine. So I suggest EC-1118, as someone on this site suggested to me.

I'll probably try that then, because semi sweet is what im looking for too. How high of an SG did you have? And are you using the purple muscadines? Ive seen on google that there are sevetal types.

My SG started at 1.090 and dried to 1.000, maybe slightly less. I'm using purple: Southland and Black Jumbo, which also makes very good jelly. I'm trying to emulate Sweet Noble, a commercial muscadine wine from Natchez, MS. I was told they also use 1118 yeast, however, they use Noble muscadines. Sweet Noble registered 1.020 on my hydrometer.

Latest posts

Back