Muriatic Acid (shelf life?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny9

Reaction score
Seems like this is getting hard to find. I have a gallon of pool grade stuff that I purchase about 4 years ago.

what do you think? Usable for water adjustments?:eek:

In a sealed contaner Hydrochloric Acid has a near unlimited shelf life. However, the stuff for pools is listed as "technical grade" and is not consider food grade. As to the differences, I dunno, I think it has to do with the purity.

If the container is well sealed there is really no shelf life issue at all. Hydrogen and Chlorine are elements; to alter them takes a nuclear reactor. They can evaporate, or you could get contaminants absorbed to alter the solution if it is not well sealed. Otherwise it will be hydrochloric acid forever.

Food grade used to require that it not come into contact in processing with substances that would potentially be hazardous to humans if consumed or inhaled. Technical grade did not have the same requirement. I am not current on these rules, though would be surprised if they had changed.

Back