Munton's *Extra Pale* Maris Otter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrheinous

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find out a lot about Munton's Extra Pale Maris Otter. Anyone try it?

Their standard Maris Otter has been my go-to base malt and I'm thinking about switching it up for lighter color with my next 55# buy.

I know breweries that use it. Regarding colour it is like US 2 row but with much more flavour. A brewer I met mentioned it as a clear advantage for British brewers making hoppy ales (APA IPA) over US brewers. I haven't found much info from homebrewers.

The homebrew stores online say it's around 1.5 lovibond, pilsener malt territory. Some other maltster (Fawcett?) makes 'low color maris otter'.

Is that light colored a malt prone to DMS like pilsener malt or is that more associated with the type of grain itself?

You might want to boil longer. Yeah, it's like UK lager malt here. Maybe tad darker and different character than Pilsner.

Zombie topic but as I'm doing some serious googling I thought I would reply.

We use Crisp brand Extra Pale MO as the base of most of our beers in our 6bbl Microbrewery.

Below you can see our IPA (3.8%, 94% Extra Pale, 6% Carapils, Bobek aroma hops.) The colour is much lighter than standard Maris Otter and the flavour of the malt can be quite subtle compared to the obvious biscuit in full colour MO.

It is DMS susceptible, but less so than pilsner and wheat as the manufacturer lists it as "moderately to highly converted." I once had a nightmare transfer that took about 6 hours and if the beer did suffer in terms of DMS, I didn't really notice.

It's reasonably consistent too, and I tend to hit around the same figures each time. Depending on your yeast, for lower abv beers you might find it wants some backup with light crystal (hence the carapils in ours.) We use Nottingham in some beers (sturdy reliable fermenter, we brew in an old stables with a tile roof so it's really fragile in terms of ambient temperatures) and find it really dries it out. With s-04 we get around 67%-68% attenutation and that leaves plenty of body to taste the malt without caramel etc, and it's very soft, clean and pleasant.

We also use this in a hybrid beer (lager recipe, ale yeast) at around 33% with 66% vienna, and it works great. Will be brewing a belgian blonde with it in the next week or two, so I'll report back when it's done.

Hope this helps - I know it's an old topic but it threw up on google as these things do, so thought I would offer my experience if anyone stumbles on this post in future - I have subscribed to this topic so although I'm not an active forum member, it should alert me if anyone has any questions.

cheers!

Untitled.jpg

Latest posts

Back