Munich Tett SMASH Category

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRGriffith

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently put together a SMASH with all German Dark Munich and Tettnang hops that went perfectly and came out awesome tasting in the sample. I'm thinking I'll enter it in a competition, but I don't know which category to submit it under.

Here's the basic recipe:

12 Lbs. German Dark Munich
5 Oz. Tettnang @60 Min. - 2.2%AA
1 Oz. Tettnang @Flameout
WLP001 California Ale Yeast

~37 IBU
9-12 SRM

Thinking about doing it under altbier, but they include other malts and this probably isn't quite dark enough. Could do American amber, but I'm not sure that really does this justice.

What do you guys think?

Cheers!

What's the tasting notes on it? I don't know that there's a style that really works so you might just have to accept that you'll lose a few points there and hope to gain some insight (and points) in the 'Overall Impression' section.

As a judge, I'd tell you to enter it into whatever it looks, tastes, and smells like. Judges don't see the ingredients list or any of the numbers (except for SRM which can identified visually, obviously), and if it looks, smells, and tastes like the style you enter it under, you'll do well.

Back