Munich Malt... appears to be a crystal malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I've been playing with Munich Malt, and plan to brew at least four brews with Munich malt exclusively or nearly exclusively.

I love the color and smell, and the flavor it imparts, and have been reading about the process by which it is produced. Reading about how Munich malt is produced, it is described as being stewed under progressively higher temperatures in a kiln where moist air is recirculated, the moisture content being reduced from 40-50% to 5-10% in 24-48 hours, until it hits 212 F, and kilned for as long as 5 hours.

This process is essentially the same as is used for producing crystal malts....... It appears to me that Munich 10 really is a type of crystal 10........... the difference being perhaps the long time involved in the stewing process.

H.W.

This process is essentially the same as is used for producing crystal malts....... It appears to me that Munich 10 really is a type of crystal 10........... the difference being perhaps the long time involved in the stewing process.

H.W.

No, it's more highly kilned than say, pilsner malt, but it's not crystalized like crystal/caramel malts and can be used as a base malt.

Crystal malt isn't dried before kilning. It's placed while green in a kiln with no way for moisture to evaporate and held for a lengthy amount of time. The temperature is much higher than for base malts as well. Because it's wet while being kilned, it does form some fermentable sugars (premashed, and preconverted, so to speak) as well as some unfermentable sugars. After the "stewing" portion is over, it's allowed to dry out and so it is vented while still holding the temperature.

Munich malt is dried first, then is kilned at a bit higher temperature than pilsner malt, but maybe 20-30 degrees warmer, and not nearly as high as crystal malt.

No, it's more highly kilned than say, pilsner malt, but it's not crystalized like crystal/caramel malts and can be used as a base malt.

Crystal malt isn't dried before kilning. It's placed while green in a kiln with no way for moisture to evaporate and held for a lengthy amount of time. The temperature is much higher than for base malts as well. Because it's wet while being kilned, it does form some fermentable sugars (premashed, and preconverted, so to speak) as well as some unfermentable sugars. After the "stewing" portion is over, it's allowed to dry out and so it is vented while still holding the temperature.

Munich malt is dried first, then is kilned at a bit higher temperature than pilsner malt, but maybe 20-30 degrees warmer, and not nearly as high as crystal malt.

I think you are completely missing my point........... Munich malt is put in a kiln green and wet, and held for as long as 48 hours, very slowly drying over that period of time. This varies only slightly if at all from how crystal is made. The moist air is recirculated and the temp gradually increased.

Munich 10 has a diastatic power of 40L........ enough to convert it. Of course much of the starch has already converted in the stewing process. I have been able to find no "real" data on Crystal 10. I'm curious enough that I may buy enough CR10 for a 2.5 gallon brew as a single malt just to see what I end up with.

My feeble brain says to me that a green stewed malt is a green stewed malt by any other name..... call it crystal, call it Munich......... it's still stewed green.

Here's a snip of the article on Munich Malt from Morebeer.com:

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

The Road to Munich Begins in the Malthouse

To understand Munich malt and how it differs from ordinary pils or domestic six-row malts, we must first understand how it is made. Like all European malts, Munich malts are made by steeping two-row barley in warm water and nurturing it through a warm germination phase; the steeping is what begins the germination of the seed.

Some large modern malthouses germinate grain in large drums or in a tower system in which grain is steeped at the top before being dropped into germinating chambers below. Other malthouses use the Saladin box, a long rectangular device with a track for the malt turning machine, which “walks” up an internal lane, turning and aerating the grain. In classic floor makings, the wet seed is spread out to form a bed about 3–6 in. deep to allow the seed to sprout. Over a period of three to six days, the seed develops a rootlet and a sprout. Many brewers prefer malt made from floor malting and Saladin boxes because it tends to produce plumper and more uniformly sized kernels.

The chemical changes that take place during this phase are complex and involved, generally fixing the malt’s protein modification and enzyme spectrum. Beta glucans present in the cell walls are almost completely degraded, and roughly half of the total barley protein is hydrolyzed. This protein modification liberates free amino nitrogen (FAN) and amino acids, which are beneficial to many brewing reactions.

At the conclusion of the germination phase, the rootlets and sprouts are removed and sold as a secondary product for feed. The product that remains for brewing is referred to as green malt. All malt begins as green malt.

Green malt is kilned under carefully controlled temperature and time requirements to yield a particular malt that has specific color and chemical composition. Different styles such as pils, caramel, black patent, or Munich malt are made by varying the temperature and duration of the kilning or by allowing the malt to be steeped warm before final drying to bring out the sugars. Roasted malts, such as chocolate and black patent, undergo the same germination and kilning processes as do base malts, but are then placed in a special roasting drum. Pils malt is characteristically light-colored and high in enzymes. To make pils malt, green malt is kilned at 185 °F (85 °C) to yield a malt of between 1 and 3 °SRM (Lovibond).

Munich malts, on the other hand, are meant to be much darker, typically around 7 °SRM; they are also available in even darker versions of between 10 and 20 °SRM. To achieve these colors, the green malt is “stewed” under progressively higher air temperatures, which promotes a degree of saccharification of the malt before it is finally kilned at 212 °F (100 °C). The longer the malt is held at 212 °F, the darker the Munich malt will be.

In the beginning of the kilning process, green malt has considerable moisture content, typically in the 45–50% range. Early in the kilning, this water content is reduced to 5–10% moisture over a period of roughly 24–48 hours. In Munich malting, the moist air is recirculated in the kiln, helping to accelerate the production of amino acids and reducing sugars that will subsequently form coloring compounds through Maillard reactions. As the moisture content is reduced, the maltster increases the temperature until it reaches 212 °F, and it is held at this temperature for as long as 5 hours.

The combination of a long drying phase at a low temperature and a high kiln-off temperature is essential to creating Munich malts. At lower temperatures, the malt dries and forms abundant amino acids and reducing sugars. At higher temperatures, the Maillard reactions are favored. The chemical changes that occur during this stewing/kilning process — including the production of melanoidins — are essential to the nutty/malty/bready/toffee characteristics that Munich malt imparts to beer.

The process starts similar but it's not the same. Here is another source that addresses the similarities and differences. The moisture content is kept higher with frequent water additions and no ventilation for crystal production, also all enzymes are lost not just a portion as with vienna and munich. Munich is definitely not a crystal malt.

I don't think they mean the same process as making crystal malts when they say the Munich malt is "stewed.". The malt isn't soaked in water and held at conversion temp the way crystal malts are treated (from what I gather); rather, the Munich malt is kilned under humid air so it doesn't dry out as quickly as something like pilsner malt. I think morebeer is just describing the humid kilning as "stewing," which is a little off the mark judging by how they later describe the process of making Munich malt.

I think you are completely missing my point...........

No, you are misunderstanding the actual process.

When the Munich is put in the kiln green and wet, it is kilned at a lower temperature to dry it. THEN it is kilned to a higher temperature.

Crystal malt is made differently from the beginning, as it's put in there green and wet but not dried before raising the temperature.

yeah eat a few grains of munich and crystal. They are entirely different malts. Or try making a beer with just crystal 10 and compare to your munich brews, I don't think the crystal one will be too tasty...

I don't think they mean the same process as making crystal malts when they say the Munich malt is "stewed.". The malt isn't soaked in water and held at conversion temp the way crystal malts are treated (from what I gather); rather, the Munich malt is kilned under humid air so it doesn't dry out as quickly as something like pilsner malt. I think morebeer is just describing the humid kilning as "stewing," which is a little off the mark judging by how they later describe the process of making Munich malt.

Clearly they are in the same family....... If 24-48 hours are taken to gradually dry the green malt at mash temps, the process may not be quite the same, but clearly in that 24-48 hours, a great deal of conversion is going to take place.

A very interesting test might be to crush half a pound of munich and steep it in boiling water, and do the same with half a pound of CR10 then take refractometer readings to compare the sugar content of the two unmashed grains.

I would maintain that while Munich 10 has a diastatic power of only 40L, it is already significantly converted. The stewing of the green wet malt at mash temps is inevitably going to result in some conversion.

I don't mean to suggest that Munich 10 is the same thing as CR 10 by any means..... just that it is in the same general family. The process is significantly similar.

H.W.

Clearly they are in the same family.......

If you are intending to expand your knowledge base of information on brewing then you'll need to look more into what makes them different rather than what's similar about them; afterall, they are all barley which makes them all part of the same family (but me and my sister are clearly and distinctly different ;)). Base, Munich, Vienna, Lager, Pilsner, toasted, roasted malts are malted and dried using various methods, whereas crystal and caramel malts are malted, converted and dried using various methods. It's the methods and subtle differences in handling that differentiates all barley products from each other, after which they are given a name that we are familiar with.

Find out how these are differentiated by Briess if you like:

Malting: http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Malting101/The_Malting_Process.htm
Crystal/Caramel: http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/blog/is-it-crystal-or-caramel-malt/

Again, it's not about focusing on what's the same in the process, it's about noting what's different in the process and understanding the differences that leads to increasing your knowledge-base.

The most obvious of which is to note that Munich malt is not converted whereas Crystal/Caramel malts are. A less obvious distinction is that Munich's flavor profile is developed through malliard reactions whereas crystal's is developed through pyrolysis reactions, and this is partly what creates such a distinct flavor difference between the two.

Processing is significantly different, as is the state of the sugars in the grain. If you look closely at crushed grains, and taste them, they are rather different.

munich.jpg

crystal.jpg

The process starts similar but it's not the same. Here is another source that addresses the similarities and differences. The moisture content is kept higher with frequent water additions and no ventilation for crystal production, also all enzymes are lost not just a portion as with vienna and munich. Munich is definitely not a crystal malt.

Hmm... this seems to make the whole premise of this post bunk.

Well if you REALLY wanted to test that Munich 10L is "basically" the same as a Crystal 10L, you would mash it with a tiny amount of adjunct like flaked oats/rye/barley. Something with very high starch but no diastatic power of its own. Then do a couple dozen iodine tests on samples to determine if the added adjuncts converted. And add in a control test like half pound of 6-Row with the same adjunct as the other tests.

If crystal 10L is the same Munich 10L, you would see no unconverted starch in the tests (the control 6Row test should definitely convert all the starches). Testing if it tastes the same or ferments the same wont really give you good test criteria as people taste differently and yeasts ferment differently so you can't 100% perfectly control those two criteria. Use the same water, same amount of grain, same amount of adjunct, same mash temps (you'll want to mash, not steep or use boiling water).

The main difference between the two is their ability to convert a mash. If Munich 10L is 'basically' the same as Crystal 10L then they would be able to convert starches in a mash.

Keep in mind that similar processes don't make the same product. There are glaring differences in that process that make the differences.

For example, you can say that salt is the same as coal, as they are both mined underground in many cases. Similar methods don't make the same product, of course.

In this case, yes, they both are barley malt to start. But crystal malt is almost always 6-row, while Munich malt is 2-row- and that's from the very beginning. They are malted, and kilned- but kilned differently. The differences are huge.

When making Munich you raise the temp hogget than you would for pale or pills while the malt is still wry. This encourages maillard reactions which give Munich it's... Munichiness. With crystal malt in particular the temp is raised through sach rest temps and held long enough to completely convert the starches and then raised while still wet to temps that denature most of the enzymes. Colored crustal malts are raised high enough to begin some caramelization of the sugars. By the time the kiln temps reach 150 in Munich malting the moisture content is much lower than in the crystal process.

Back