Multiple yeast packs instead of starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,
I plan on brewing BrewPastor's Dark Night of the Soul, which should come in at a very high gravity. The venerable BP suggests using a huge starter, and when I first brewed it I had a yeast cake. Unfortunately that brew didn't go according to plan and I need to redo it, but I don't have any brews going onto which I could pitch this.

I could make a starter, but I wonder, would I be alright pitching multiple packs of US-05/1056? Three packs of 05 or two XL packs of 1056? It just seems slightly more foolproof than making a starter.

Thanks for the input.

Yes that will work, but depending on what yeast you use it could be a bit spendier. Your call. This calculator will give you an idea of how much yeast to use and what each type (dry, liquid, starter) will provide.

check Mr Malty's calculator. There is an option to use more packs of yeast an smaller/no starter. Should give you an idea how many packs to pitch.

Edit: Guess that I type to slow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the purpose to a starter is to get the yeast eating and multiplying and then when you toss them into your wort, there ready to go to work. This is different from using multiple packets. Active yeast starts up faster than if you tossed dry into your fermenting vessel. A starter also provides proof of life because if the yeast doesnt start you know after a few days.

A starter also provides proof of life because if the yeast doesnt start you know after a few days.

It might offer a small piece of mind, but the chances of getting a bad pack of dried yeast is minimal, and with a smack pack you'll know if it's good or not within a couple of ours.

I could make a starter, but I wonder, would I be alright pitching multiple packs of US-05/1056? Three packs of 05 or two XL packs of 1056? It just seems slightly more foolproof than making a starter.

Thanks for the input.
Yup, sometimes the solution to the problem is, in fact, to throw more money at it :D. If you don't have the time or inclination to make a starter, multiple packs of yeast are your best bet. "Dark Night of the Soul" is a big ass beer, but two 11gm packs of US05 will do it, especially if they're properly rehydrated, i.e. 2 packets in 8oz of 80°F pre-boiled water. In many cases you don't need to rehydrate, but with this beer you really should because the cell membranes are NOT going to be ready for that much sugar. Rehydration will give them a chance to get back in fighting shape before dealing with the wort. Sprinkle the packets onto the water & let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Stir it in and let it sit another 15-20 minutes.

If you want to use liquid yeast, you'll need 4 packages according to Jamil's pitching rate calculator. You'd probably be fine with 3. In this case I'd go with dry yeast.

Hope this helps,
Chad

Thanks for all the feedback.

Chad, thanks for the recommendation of hydrating; I'd have just tossed the dry yeast in without hydrating. Then I'd have to post a "what happened" thread.:eek:

Latest posts

Back