Multiple shoots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicoleBrewer

Reaction score
So this may be a very dumb question but do you need a separate string for every hop shoot the comes up from the same plant? Last year I only had one bine so it wasn't an issue but now I have 4 or 5. In the pics on here it looks like everyone only has one bine climbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No such thing as a dumb question.
And no, you don't need one string for each shoot.
If your support line is strong enough you can run everything up one.
I had around 3 or 4 shoots / bines on each of my lines, and I just used cheap 1/8" nylon string.

I'm doing one bine per line because I can. Right now, it"s making for an opened up plant. Good for light and air. In a month or so, I dunno. It may all be one tangled mess.

I use one sisal line for 3-4 bines and cut the rest back. JRTR I tried nylon when I first started and it seemed to stunt the bines growth, you having any issues with it?

I'm using that green string like people use for decoys and keep in tackle boxes. I think it's nylon. In 8 weeks, my hops are 6' tall.

I use one sisal line for 3-4 bines and cut the rest back. JRTR I tried nylon when I first started and it seemed to stunt the bines growth, you having any issues with it?

I haven't noticed any issues with the growth, but A) I don't really have anything to compare it with.
B) I had 2 years on the line, and the bines went up, over the top and back down with no issues (was a pain to get them down to harvest...)
C) If it did stunt the growth, honestly I wouldn't mind if it was still a similar yield. I have about 12 feet vertical to play with, so if it kept the heights down, I wouldn't mind.

Sounds like a different nylon. We ran out of sisal and sent the wife to find some twine. She came back with some cheap green nylon? stuff from the dollar store. It definitely was not working with the bines they only grew about 6 feet or so compared to 16 with sisal. I think it was the dye on the line.
Who knows? I would love to se a comparison between coir, sisal, nylon etc. to see if there is a big difference.

Sounds like a different nylon. We ran out of sisal and sent the wife to find some twine. She came back with some cheap green nylon? stuff from the dollar store. It definitely was not working with the bines they only grew about 6 feet or so compared to 16 with sisal. I think it was the dye on the line.
Who knows? I would love to se a comparison between coir, sisal, nylon etc. to see if there is a big difference.

I've no idea the make or model of what I'm using. I found it on the lake shore. It doesn't bleed color in water.

That's great, I think I might of just had the bad stuff that one time. What I do now is use farmers sisal bailers twine, about 1 roll each spring. It is thicker than sisal twine and holds up well for the growing season and also composts. I live in an area that it is available easily.

Back