multiple mashes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E-rok

Reaction score
So I have a 5gal mash tun, but a 25 gallon brewpot. I would like to 1) make high gravity beers like a barleywine, 2) make large batches of some of my beers. So to make a large batch I could just buy more grain and mash half at a time to make a 10 gallon batch I assume. How would I mash for a high gravity beer in a5 gallon batch? Would I split the grain and use half the necessary water each time? I have done some searching and not found an answer to my question.

Thanks,
Erik

I think for simplicity, the easiest way about this would be to get a MT that is in line with your kettle.

But if you are open to the idea, you could try BIAB. You may need to search out or make a custom bag for your kettle.

When I first went all grain, I used a single pot. I mashed in the kettle, then drained the wort into a bucket(s). I then cleaned the pot, changed out mash filter to a hop filter and proceeded on with the boil.

It took a little more time, but it worked just fine

25 gallons. I want to make a a high gravity beer. How do I mash it.

There is no shame in using a little DME either. Don't get caught up in AG as dogma. It is a great approach, but use the tools available to you... I have frequently used some DME to reach target OGs on batches made from second (or third) runnings. It is pretty cool to add two pounds of DME and get a decent additional session ale out of your brew session for the price of an ounce of hops, a couple of extra specialty grains, and another hour on the burner.

I have also used DME to provide constant feedings to a barley wine that approached 20%ABV. I guess it's not "all grain" anymore... But it is mostly grain... And doesn't require crazy brewing gymnastics just to apply some superficial tag to what is bound to be a very special beer regardless.

What I would do in your case is come up with a recipe for a slightly weaker than normal beer. Take a first running to feed the barley wine, just a couple of gallons (once reduced by boiling) with a high OG.... And then take a generous second running to produce a respectable beer. And then, maybe take some third runnings, combined with some DME for a third batch. Doing it this way, you can give away a LOT of beer, or build up your reserves, and feed a barleywine project at the same time with minimal loss of grain efficiency.

Back