multipack yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svthomas72

Reaction score
Asked this inside of someone else's thread a minute ago, but thought I'd throw it out to a wider audience.

I am brewing a RIS this weekend - a recipe I have made numerous times. But, I'm trying something different this time rather than US-05 (I usually use 3 packs). This time I have 2 packs of WL-001 that need to be used soon, so I am going to make a starter. How much starter do I need for two packets? Normally 1 yeast packet per liter is what I do for liquid yeast, but I only have a 2 liter flask. Can I just make a 1.5 liter starter to allow for headspace and then make the starter that way? Any thought? I've never made one with multiple packets before.

Asked this inside of someone else's thread a minute ago, but thought I'd throw it out to a wider audience.

I am brewing a RIS this weekend - a recipe I have made numerous times. But, I'm trying something different this time rather than US-05 (I usually use 3 packs). This time I have 2 packs of WL-001 that need to be used soon, so I am going to make a starter. How much starter do I need for two packets? Normally 1 yeast packet per liter is what I do for liquid yeast, but I only have a 2 liter flask. Can I just make a 1.5 liter starter to allow for headspace and then make the starter that way? Any thought? I've never made one with multiple packets before.

Go here: Homebrew Dad's Online Yeast Starter Calculator

There is a good chance most yeast starter sites will show that you will get more yeast if you make two separate starters. Make Starter 1 with the first pack and when it is done cold crash decant and put this yeast in a sanitized mason jar in the fridge. Make starter 2 with the second pack cold crash decant and you are ready to brew.

Back