Multi Step Mash with Brew in a Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

durbo

Reaction score
I am going away for a month soon so I want to do a lager style that will require fermenting at a lower temp for this time so I don't have to play as long a waiting game.

With this in mind I want to try my hand at a bock but a lot of what I read calls for multi-step or decoction mashes, which I haven't played with yet.

Will I be able to do a style such as this with a single infusion mash as I would any regular beer?
or
Is it easy enough to do a multi-step mash with BIAB? Even a link to a resource would be helpful enough.

Cheers

Most here feel with modern malts the multistep mash is not needed. You could either step mash with hot or boiling infusions, or add heat to reach your steps.

I would keep it simple and due a single temp mash fwiw.

wilserbrewer is mostly correct, although there are some people that feel that if you really want to get the true german bock feel and taste, a decoction is necessary. Up to you, there are plenty of good bock recipes that utilize a single infusion.
However, if you want to experiment, it is possible to do a decoction with a BIAB system. You would need another kettle to heat the decoction in, but that volume may be only 3 qts. After 10-20 minutes at your 1st rest temp., scoop out the required amount of mash and heat that seperately. Braukaiser's website has a pretty good section on decoction techniques, and if you're interested, I'd recommend looking at it.
My dopplebock recipe was done in a hybrid BIAB system(2 bags in a cooler) and I did a 1 step decoction(147>157). Worked well.

Ok thanks. I guess the only way to find out for sure is to give it a go. You say that there are plenty of bock recipes for which a single infusion is sufficient. Does this mean that there are some where a decoction is necessary? If so what would differentiate these recipes?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ok thanks. I guess the only way to find out for sure is to give it a go. You say that there are plenty of bock recipes for which a single infusion is sufficient. Does this mean that there are some where a decoction is necessary? If so what would differentiate these recipes?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Probably personal choice. As wilserbrewer put it, with most modern malts, a single step mash is sufficient. There are a few old-style malts that are undermodified that would benefit from multiple steps, but their descriptions usually tell you that.
The benefits from decoctions are alittle higher mash efficiency, and most importantly a more malty taste and feel to the finished beer, because of the increased heating of the mash.You tend to get more melanoidins produced.
Plus, to me doing a decoction is kind of fun. The smell is incredible! But it does take more time........

There is some darkening and malty flavour that develops during a decoction. It's completely possible with BIAB, as long as you have another largish pot, and the time to fuss with it. You should also ignore the acid and protein rests if you aren't using undermodified malt. One long decoction from sacch temp to mashout can get you most of what you want in my experience.

Back