Multi-Keg System - Prime & Serve?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waunabeer

Reaction score
I have purchased a 4 keg system (4-way manifold, co2 tank, gas lines/beer lines) and have a question:

1.) If I have other kegs connected for serving and want to connect a new one for force priming (obviously at a much higher pressure), should I disconnect the others and connect the co2 only to the new one?

2.) How long can the other kegs go without co2 before there are issues with them?

3.) Could I force keg the one and leave the valves for the others open just slightly to keep some co2 going to them?

4.) Do I need or should I just have a 2nd co2 tank on hand; one for each operation (serving vs. priming)?

Thanks.

1.) If I have other kegs connected for serving and want to connect a new one for force priming (obviously at a much higher pressure), should I disconnect the others and connect the co2 only to the new one?
If you want to force carb at a presure higher than your serving pressure, then YES you will want to disconnect the other kegs so that you don't overcarb them.

2.) How long can the other kegs go without co2 before there are issues with them?
They will already be carbonated and pressurized, so they can sit like this indefinitely. However, if you pull a pint or two from them, that means that the pressure in the keg will drop (there is now more head space) so some CO2 will start to come out of solution in the beer to balance the system. If you pull enough pints out with the gas disconnected, the beer will start to go flat.

3.) Could I force keg the one and leave the valves for the others open just slightly to keep some co2 going to them?
No. It doesn't work like that. You can think of the gas valve as ON or OFF. There is no "in between" setting.

4.) Do I need or should I just have a 2nd co2 tank on hand; one for each operation (serving vs. priming)?
Personally, I say "no". But, I'm the kind of guy who doesn't mind waiting a couple weeks for a newly kegged beer to carb up. I either do that by connecting the keg to my tank at 10-12psi (serving pressure) and letting it sit for a couple of weeks, or by carbing my kegs with corn sugar instead of using gas from my tank.

You certainly CAN buy a second tank, or a regulator with multiple outputs, each with their own pressure control, but that's more expensive than just waiting. :D

Back