MrShake's Magic Brewhaus or Top Hat Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I spent last night wiring and drilling and dremeling on my control panel box... and this is what I ended up with!!

main.php

USB Connector:

main.php

Temp Sensor Connectors:

main.php

120v Power Connector:

main.php

I'm totally geeked!!! I also feel much safer with everything mounted and not floating around in the box!!

The LED's are really cool. I have a similar setup with LEDs in construction now. I'm gonna go with cat5 / RJ45 for my sensor connection, but i like those metal XLRs.

No pics of the innards? Just wanted to see what you did with all the blue boxes.

No pics of the innards? Just wanted to see what you did with all the blue boxes.

I've got some innards pics taken, but they are on another camera... doh.

The blue boxes are just outlet boxes for the power run to the garage, they don't go in the control panel... hehehe

I've got some innards pics taken, but they are on another camera... doh.

The blue boxes are just outlet boxes for the power run to the garage, they don't go in the control panel... hehehe

Come on! We have all this substance and no flash! I just want to look at the pretty pictures and drool!

;) Very cool build!

I'll get you pics soon!! May even of BREWING with this monstrosity!

I thought just maybe the boxes were holding onto internal outlets or something making mounting components easier inside the box. That way instead of gluing down components, you glue the boxes and mount components more conventionally.

Did some more work on the control panel last night.... installed the single relay boards that are in the store, the pump outlet, as well as hooking up all the usable LEDs and such... its a mess, and doesn't all work yet, but here it is:

Preparing to make a hole for the outlet:
main.php

The tool, and the aftermath:
main.php

The hole:
main.php

One of the relay boards installed, and you can see my mounting method:
main.php

Both relay boards are in:
main.php

More in next post

Here is the control panel with all its components in place:
main.php

Outlet in place and screwed in:
main.php

Added an outlet insulation gasket... in hopes that it will provide a LITTLE moisture resistance:
main.php

Stainless cover plate:
main.php

Power run to the relays and outlet (not working in the end):
main.php

More in next post

Closup of the relay boards main power connected:
main.php

Inside of the top cover... or, Rat's Nest:
main.php

Manual ON leds work!:
main.php

Thats it for now. In a test run, the pump outlet is not working. Did discover I had my leads wrong on the 12 volt side... Now getting the relay board led to light up (dimly though) but no power to the outlet.

I'm going to start a wiring question thread to answer those questions thought.

So this weekend had a couple of advancements in the eHERMS build.

I received a TON of stainless parts for plumbing purposes on friday. It was a bulk classifieds purchase, so I still need to sort through and take some pics.

I also ordered a second set of contact blocks for my control panel switches. The plan, as it stands, is to use 1 set per switch for the Manual/Auto leds when the switch is turned that way, so that I can run them directly off the 12 volt source.

The reason for this is that when trying to power the Relays for the pumps with an LED and resistor in line droped the voltage enough that the relay wouldn't trip. Lesson learned. Thats one of the amazing things about these switches, you can continue to add contact blocks to infinity. As a reminder, here are the switches:
PBC-SS22PMA-3.jpg

The yellow part at the back is a contact block, and is removable or stackable... neat stuff.
as well, I didn't point out specifically the relay's I'm using for the pumps:
singlerelay.JPG

These are from the brewtroller store and work great with the brewtroller system, or with others.

If I haven't mentioned it much before, I am using the BrewTroller for this build. If you haven't checked out this platform yet, you should take a look... http://www.brewtroller.com
I believe there are a lot of misconceptions about this setup.... its not as techy/DIY dependant as a lot of folks think. If your considering PID controls and making a control panel that way, then you REALLY do have all the skills needed! I know BCS is popular right now here on HBT, but its really not any harder to setup a brewtroller. Feel free to ask if you have any questions!!

I also placed an order this morning for panel mount cat 5e jacks that will work with the thick plastic of these electrical boxes (I hope). I'll post pics once I get them.

The actual WORK done this weekend was on the secondary box housing all the 240v items. Specifically the SSRs, outlets, distribution block and fuses for the heating elements.
main.php

It still needs the incomming power hole cut and cord secured. And, I noticed this morning that one of the wires seperated from the spade connector. Gotta re-crimp and heat shrink that connection.

As well, one of the cat 5e jacks will be in this box. My plan is to use cat 5 to run the signal cable for the SSRs.

There it is right now.... Ask any questions you might have!

I got word today that my March Pump is sitting on the doorstep waiting for me!! WOO HOO!!! I hope some of the other parts arrive today as well.

Hopefully, more pics after tonight's work

A little more work and a few more parts yesterday.

I received my second set of contact blocks. So, I setup the first tier (closest to the switch itself) as the LED contact blocks, since they are least likley to have issues and easiest to test.
I also rerouted the wires for that so they are less tangled, and ran them to a 4 pin PSU molex, for easy connection to power in the box.
I also added one more 8 terminal barrier strip in the box, just to act as a 12 volt bus. I put the other side of the LED molex connector on that bus, now the LED's hook up easily.
Tested that and it works perfectly.

I then wired the servo leads to the second contact block on the switch to the HLT and BK. That was very simple. I can't test that until I have the 240v box complete so that I can see the SSRs power on.

I also recieved my march pump yesterday, but there is nothing more to do with that.

Now, the pictures:

New Top-side wiring with second contact blocks for BK/HLT:
main.php

Added 12v bus and wiring in the box itself:
main.php

And, march pump:
main.php

Looking great. I'm at a similar stage of my build for my RIMS. Will get pics posted this weekend and we can share notes.

I love all the space you have in there. I have 10 SSRs, 2 outlets, distribution block, a BCS, a wireless router and a 105 CFM cooling fan packed into one of those 12 x 12 boxes. I wish I could find a 16 x 16

I love all the space you have in there. I have 10 SSRs, 2 outlets, distribution block, a BCS, a wireless router and a 105 CFM cooling fan packed into one of those 12 x 12 boxes. I wish I could find a 16 x 16

Holy Crap dude!! I couldn't imagine fitting 10 ssrs into that box! I'd LOVE to see pics of how you got it all in there!

Holy Crap dude!! I couldn't imagine fitting 10 ssrs into that box! I'd LOVE to see pics of how you got it all in there!

I will have to get you some... it is tight. The key is very accurately cutting and bending the wires so that they go where you want. It is tight, which is the reason for the 105CFM 230VAC and cooling ports to help cool it. 8 of the SSRs have heatsinks... that is what wastes space. You have a clean box, I appreciate that.

MrShake,
I'm a about a week behind on my brewtroller build from you. I think our panels are going to look like twins on the outside. I still have to hook up a relay board and the same switches you have.

I planned on using some vinyl/plastic j channel from the paneling section of the local overgrown home store to trim up around my lcd screen. Just thought I'd pass that along if you wanted to cover up the panel edge around the screen.

MrShake,
I'm a about a week behind on my brewtroller build from you. I think our panels are going to look like twins on the outside. I still have to hook up a relay board and the same switches you have.

I planned on using some vinyl/plastic j channel from the paneling section of the local overgrown home store to trim up around my lcd screen. Just thought I'd pass that along if you wanted to cover up the panel edge around the screen.

Ohhh... I dig that idea... pics will be required

Hey man, if you can PM me your email address I can send you some photos. It took some VERY careful planning and using the right wire sizes to get it all in. The BCS control wires are all 22ga stranded, and there are so many that if I had gone to even 18ga, I would not be getting the lid on.

I mounted the wireless router so that the antenna sticks out the top for better reception... I call it "The Brain". A 12 x 12 x 6 wireless control box that will accept 4 temp. inputs and has 6 power outputs :D

(10) SSRs
(8) Heatsinks
(1) 120VAC duplex outlet
(1) 240VAC 50A outlet
(1) 105 CFM cooling fan
(5) shielded control box cooling ports
(1) Distribution block (3 LINE, 18 LOAD)
(1) Grounding bar
(1) BCS 460
(1) Wireless Bridge

All nestled in a 12 x 12 x 6 box that I control from my PC :mug:

It is really a modular, wireless power distribution center. You can bolt it to any E-rig and just run your hots, neutrals and grounds to the terminals in the box, log into the BCS and you can control anything. (4) temp inputs, and (6) outputs in the standard BCS. You can use all of the outputs, or just a few. I may end up building a few for friends.

God Bless you sir and your build

P1030866.jpg

Very nice capnr0n!!!

I see your from belleville.... I grew up in lebanon, still have family over there.... you MIGHT have even heard of my dad... "Shakey Dave"

So this weekend's work generated this:
main.php

Its not done yet, still needs some tweaking and I need to contact Derrin about a bad compression fitting (which I am sure he will quickly take care of).

I also still don't have the needed 240v in the garage... but its all comming.... SOON... hehehe.

Once I get the compression fitting sorted out, it will be time for a wet test!

No pictures yet, as they are on a friend's camera... but Phase I of my build is functional!!

I boiled and heated water in both kettles using Brewtroller on saturday. Took ALL DAY to run power to the garage, and I am still sore from the work... but the stand is ready to brew a beer on!!!

Pictures and maybe even video soon!!

Ok, grabbed a couple of pictures last night

Here is the entire brew stand, powered up and heating water:
main.php

Here is the control panel with my AWESOME new BLINGtastic CUSTOM made Stainless Steel Knob:
main.php

Thanks to the IRC chat folks on Brewtroller for helping me figure out the switch issues, next is to get the BK to stop tripping the breaker!!

Its almost time to brew with it!

So, after an aborted attempt to brew on Monday, and solving some latent issues, I got to brew on Wednesday!!

The first conclusion is.... pumps rock. I brewed by myself and wasn't exhausted after I was done!

Second conclusion, brewing IN the garage requires some care in handling water so as not to soak everything.

Now, for what you are really here for.. pics:

Here is the stand, mid brew
main.php

Another angle, mid sparge
main.php

Chillin Out
main.php

Cleaning Up
main.php

Now for the "interesting" thing that happened during the brew...

To set the stage, we are at the end of the brew, immersion chiller just went in the wort. In and Out garden hoses connected.

Turn on the cool water, and turn your back on the chiller to start the cleaning cycle.

Suddenly, I hear a loud pop and feel scalding water streaming onto my arm

main.php

main.php

main.php

I got the water turned off and hollered to SWMBO to get me a new shirt and I ditch mine since it was holding hot water against my skin.

Turns out, the house out into the yard draining the chiller had developed a kink and pressure built up.

Lesson learned... check your out hose!!

main.php

main.php

main.php

I want to throw out a BIG shout out and thanks to the guys at BrewTroller!

Without their help, I could not have accomplished this. Between the BrewTroller Forums and the IRC chat I was able to solve problems and create this thing from the ground up.

Back