Mr. Beer shiver me timbers kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoSkillet

Reaction score
Has anyone brewed the shiver me timbers recipie kit from Mr. Beer? I just bottled my first batch today and am think about this one for my next batch. The fermentor is sitting empty and dry and just doesn't seem right.

Brew their doppelbock recipe (with 2 containers of Oktoberfest), buy an extra pack of hops, and some dry lager yeast. If you don't have a lager fridge yet, start looking on craigslist, I got mine off there for $50.

Sorry, I got nostalgic the other day and actually looked up how Mr. Beer was doing. They're getting into some interesting stuff. I still wouldn't want to try brewing with their extract again, though.

I was not a fan of their porter, but I bet adding some blackberries would make it more interesting. If you can find a fine mesh bag, sanitize it and use that to contain the fruit pulp when you add it. I made one of their recipes with pumpkin and each bottle ended up with a little pumpkin pulp in it. Didn't taste bad, but it made it look like crap.

My wife has been really intrigued by the possibility of the shiver me timbers kit. She likes porters anyway. We just bottled our first ever batch of beer a few days ago and our first ever batch of cider is in the fermentor now. We are looking at making some wine and I've been looking at the 5 gallon food grade buckets lowes sales to use as a fermentor as well. I've already got a lid from my lhbs and an air lock.

If you are thinking of making wine, I'll offer some advice. If you want to make small batches don't go as low as 1-gallon right away unless you are really confident you'll stick with it for a long time. I know there is a thread here full of people who love 1-gallon batches, and I have made a fair number of them as well, but investing in a lot of 1-gallon equipment only to find that larger batch sizes would be more appropriate can be frustrating.

We plan on doing ing full batches of wine and sticking to between. 2-4 gallons on beer and cider for right now. Eventually I'll move to 5 gallon batches on them but the wife is interested in wine so gotta wine her over on the other so she will allow me to spend more money.

I know a five gallon bucket will only do 4 gallons but at this time it's sufficient for us.

Oh, I forgot to mention that you can get food grade buckets from the bakery department. I got two sizes. One is a bit over 5 gallons and the other is about 2 gallons.

Back