Mr. Beer Saison experiment critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elburrogrande

Reaction score
First of all let me say I am very new to brewing and I have an extra Mr. Beer kit laying around so I thought I would experiment with it. I probably added about $15 in extra ingredients. I plan on brewing this in the next couple days. Let me know if I need to modify anything or if I am in for a disaster. Here is what I have so far.

extract:
1.87lbs Kit came with American light malt extract

2 gallon batch

OG: no idea
FG: no idea

Grains:
.6lbs Gambrinus White Wheat
.4lbs Gambrinus Pilsner
.5lbs Great Western Pale 2-row
.5lbs Acidulated Malt

Hops:
1oz Hallertau
.5oz Amarillo hops?

Yeast:
no idea how old yeast is so im replacing it with belle saison yeast

extras:
zest of 2 limes
handful of hibiscus flowers
1whirlfloc tablet

I am thinking meshing the grains @155 in 3qts with the acidulated malt added after the initial mashing. Boiling for 60 minutes with hallertau added at the beginning and maybe adding .5oz of Amarillo with 10 minutes remaining along with the lime zest and whirlfloc. Ill add the extract at end and just follow the mr. beer instructions from there. Ill be adding hibiscus flowers after initial fermentation (should add a nice color) Anything I should do different or I am missing?

I didnt plug in the numbers to check the estimated OG/FG, but recipe looks good to me for a partial mash.

Belle saison is a good yeast. Definitely the only "authentic" tasting Belgian dry yeast I ever used. Apart from the spices you are adding, the fermentation temperature is what is going to largely determine the flavor. I would try insulating the fermentor with a blanket or something and letting it free rise form room temp. Dont be scared it it makes it above 80F. Itll give a great yeast character

2 limes might be a bit much for a 2gal batch. My lemon pepper saison used 3 lemons, but I didnt zest them, just tore the peel into pieces and added the juice.

How are you sanitizing the flowers?

Thanks for the input. The blanket is a good idea that I hadn't thought about. I was thinking of just boiling them in some water for a few minutes and adding the flowers and water to the kit around day 7

a little update. I added 1 cup of caramelized sugar and a bit of yeast nutrient. OG was 1.066. Im expecting the FG to be 1.010

nice, what do I win?

Ill make another wager: its gonna be tastier than the last beers youve made

Back