Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slightly warmer-than-optimal temperatures brings out what people describe as "cidery" flavors in their beer, correct? I'll look into the tub idea, but it might require outgrowing my current allotment of space for brewing. I had thought of getting some ice packs like that and putting them in my little end table, just to bring down the ambient air temperature in there. A small amount of weather stripping around the door, and I bet I could get enough of a seal going to keep the temperature a few degrees cooler than outside the end table. Basically McGuyvering myself an ice chest. Would just need to monitor the interior temperature so I'm not going too far the other direction.

Though that raises a question. As a fan of hard and soft ciders, what's so bad about a cidery beer flavor? Is it just that beer isn't supposed to taste like cider and that's not what people are really shooting for, or does cidery refer to something slightly different than beer that tastes a little like cider?

If your beer tastes fine to you, no need to change. But I was getting some off-flavors from 70F+ ale ferments, so I went cooler. One flavor/aroma that sprang up was diacetyl, and once I went with cooler ferments, it went away.

For more info, How to Brew - By John Palmer - Common Off-Flavors

Though that raises a question. As a fan of hard and soft ciders, what's so bad about a cidery beer flavor? Is it just that beer isn't supposed to taste like cider and that's not what people are really shooting for, or does cidery refer to something slightly different than beer that tastes a little like cider?

I think all of us Mr. Beer brewers who've read this ENTIRE thread (which is now up to 125 pages... it only took me like 3 days) should receive some sort of merit badge lol. Even Rezzy gave up posting to it :)

To celebrate, this weekend I'm brewing up some Apfelwein!

+1 for Brewinator

+125 for Silenti (I have read it twice)

As for OP and follow-up, the flavors that you get with +75 temps(internal to fermenter) will be more than cidery I would say. It is More like that banana smell after the peels have been in the hot dumpster for a few days. If you are brewing a pale, or subtle flavor, it will change it dramatically. If you are brewing with Fruit, or a wheat beer, then maybe not so bad. I don't think you will want that with too many styles. Would be good with Apfelwein maybe.

Another note about the temps. If your ambient is 70, then your fermenter temp inside during peak fermentation will be 3-6 degrees higher. That's what counts.

I liked your idea of sealing your end table up a little and sticking some ice packs in there. You could get a big garbage bag to line it to protect from condensation from the icepacks. Keep the ice packs right against the keg, but let the top (where the vents come out from under the tap) breath and be free to exhaust.

Hope this helps. Good luck. I am a big fan of the "MacGyver" approach. Also, do it the way YOU have to, to make it work within your constraints. All of us are just providing suggestions to help, no-one, except the holy Revvy, has the RIGHT answer.

Just remember the lessons and flavors, so that you can make improvements when you can. HAHB!!

Bottled it yesterday, don't think it got above the danger line cause I didn't notice any cidery flavor or any banana flavor, just the flavor of bland and flat beer. But bland and flat beer that I made, damnit.

I've read most of the thread in fits and starts. I go to a random page and read until the posts look familiar. There's been so much great advice, and I apologize if I already have, or will in the future, repeat a question, just because I'm sure I can't remember everything that's been asked.

Investigating the end table, it might be a little harder to seal than I thought, as there's a lot of gaps where the bottom was attached to the rest (I got this table for free when no one else wanted it at a church yard sale, it didn't even have a top til I added in a piece of plywood). That probably means that caulk would also be needed to get a really good seal going. It's also been relocated to the bedroom under a drawing table, which gets it even further out of the sunlight (which is good, since it's kinda painted black).

Gonna stick the first bottle in the fridge in about 10 days, then one a week after that, mostly as a learning experience for myself to see what changes the beer undergoes with extended carbing. The pale ale that came with the kit seems like enough of a throwaway kinda thing that I can play around with it like that.

Next two brews: a wheat beer, probably with some fruit extract from my LHBS (conveniently called My LHBS) and then their double-can premium IPA.

thurdl01,
Sounds like a great plan. I did notice earlier that someone suggested a cooler. That is also a great idea if you already have one. Just keep it where it is stored, put your fermenter in it and rotate ice-packs in it every day. But, if you are able to keep the temp stable at 70 (without sunlight heating up the black box... I mean end table) then you should be good.

I recommend that you check out the recipes on Mr. beer for some other ideas. I have made the American Gold Premium, added 1lb of light DME, left in the booster, fermented for 4 weeks, and it came out very good. Next batch I plan to add some malto dextrine to add some viscosity and head retention.

Also, the Atonement recipe was recommended to me. I am making it right now. This is one that you can make quick, (meaning Mr. Beer kind of time-frames) and because there is some fruit in it, your fermentation temps won't effect it that much. It was recommended to me that it should be comsumed green, meaning don't condition it too long. 1-2 weeks for carbing and then drink.

Lastly, I have joined the Mr. Beer club, If you are going to stay with that it can be worth it. I plan out my recipes and ingredients, put it on my club list and let it happen every 2 months. This way, I am only paying $5 shipping, no matter how much I get. Also, if it is over $100, then it is free shipping.

Do you have a local source for bottles? I am trying to figure out how to get more.

"I recommend that you check out the recipes on Mr. beer for some other ideas."

Oh yeah, I've been pouring over those, especially since I discovered that my local Harris Teeter carries all the same Oregon canned fruits for $0.50 less than Mr Beer and no $9 minimum shipping. Probably grab some of the pie cherries tonight on the way home to add to the Wheat, cause I do love a good cherry wheat. I'll also keep in mind about the brew club. Might be something that waits until after I move, but I have been eyeballing this and this. Probably start the latter right after my honeymoon in August so it's nice and aged for mid-to-late October.

Man, it's like fashion. Gotta constantly be thinking a season ahead.

As far as bottles? There are the 8 I got with the Mr. Beer kit and the 8 more I ordered when I used the buy-one-get-one-free coupon that came bundled with the woot shipment. I kinda assumed My LHBS in Seven Corners carried bottles, but ya know what they say about when you assume. Hate to keep going back to Mr. Beer for them, but at least when you add bottles to an order that already includes some HME the shipping doesn't go up much.

Edit: While getting the links for the recipes, I noticed there's totally a Cinco de Mayo sale on their premium refills (apparently ends today). Premiums for almost as cheap as Standards. Not sure if I can pass that up...

"I recommend that you check out the recipes on Mr. beer for some other ideas."

Oh yeah, I've been pouring over those, especially since I discovered that my local Harris Teeter carries all the same Oregon canned fruits for $0.50 less than Mr Beer and no $9 minimum shipping. Probably grab some of the pie cherries tonight on the way home to add to the Wheat, cause I do love a good cherry wheat. I'll also keep in mind about the brew club. Might be something that waits until after I move, but I have been eyeballing this and this. Probably start the latter right after my honeymoon in August so it's nice and aged for mid-to-late October.

Man, it's like fashion. Gotta constantly be thinking a season ahead.

As far as bottles? There are the 8 I got with the Mr. Beer kit and the 8 more I ordered when I used the buy-one-get-one-free coupon that came bundled with the woot shipment. I kinda assumed My LHBS in Seven Corners carried bottles, but ya know what they say about when you assume. Hate to keep going back to Mr. Beer for them, but at least when you add bottles to an order that already includes some HME the shipping doesn't go up much.

Edit: While getting the links for the recipes, I noticed there's totally a Cinco de Mayo sale on their premium refills (apparently ends today). Premiums for almost as cheap as Standards. Not sure if I can pass that up...[/QUOTE]

Warning! ^^^^ Your are exhibiting classic signs of addiction. Your are very bordering on obsession. LOL.

Welcome to the club!!!

In my instructions it says in gigantic caps to keep the hop sack with the wort the entire time.

I called the brewmaster at Mr Beer and they told me the same thing....keep the hop sack in the fermenter at for the duration of fermentation.

My first beer is bottled now: a little clumsy work and I ended up half a bottle short of what I should have, but it seemed to go well and I'll hopefully have an easier time next batch. Currently making up some stout.

Alright, here's a question that might be weird, but also hasn't (as far as I could tell) been asked before.

So I brewed my second batch tonight. It's a cherry wheat (yum) with the honey-for-booster substitution. So I've got this cup of extra booster, and me hating to waste anything, had this thought: "Self," I thought, "on the forum they keep saying to not not not use white table sugar, but rather dextrose." Has anyone ever tried using booster to carb with? Does it/would it work? And if so, better than table sugar?

Alright, here's a question that might be weird, but also hasn't (as far as I could tell) been asked before.

So I brewed my second batch tonight. It's a cherry wheat (yum) with the honey-for-booster substitution. So I've got this cup of extra booster, and me hating to waste anything, had this thought: "Self," I thought, "on the forum they keep saying to not not not use white table sugar, but rather dextrose." Has anyone ever tried using booster to carb with? Does it/would it work? And if so, better than table sugar?
save it and use it to bottle prime.Booster is dextrose and works fine.

Hey everyone!

I recently made the move to 5 gallon extract brews (made 6 so far), but I had some leftover cans of Mr. Beer so I decided to use them. I made a batch of Blarney Stone Irish Stout last weekend. My question is simple: anyone make this, and did it turn out good?

Thanks!

Hmmm...

So, adding dextrose to a recipe is really just the same thing as adding corn syrup?

Corn syrup, the commodity found in Boone's Farm, Ripple, NightTrain, etc.

Corn syrup, one reason Coke's, and ALL soft drinks, don't taste like they did when I was a little kid?

Pogo

Eh, I'll stop being cheap, pitch the booster (layman "pitch" not brewman) and get some dextrose.

And Pogo: Look for Pepsi Throwback. It's a limited run thing, but it's sugar-sweetened Pepsi. I think they're only carrying it at the big box stores. Damn good stuff.

I was at Harris Teeter the other day and next to the cans of Oregon fruits was a can that intrigued me. Lychee nuts. Man do I love those things. But the juxtaposition, especially since I had "I'm buying beer ingredients" on my mind, had me wondering about the potential for a lychee beer. The problem being that lychees have such a delicate flavor that they make pears look like cherries, but I found online someone who made a lychee blonde ale with some success. So I'm thinking grabbing from Mr. Beer the blonde ale, the pale UME and a can of lychee nuts from the store and going to town.

Anyone ever brewed with lychee? Am I throwing money away hoping to be able to taste them through the beer?

Though since I also have a batch in the Mr. Beer, another on stand-by and two more arriving on Wednesday with a plan of doing something pumpkin-y for the fall, this whole lychee scheme might end up sidelined until I'm doing *real* brewing.

Hmmm...

So, adding dextrose to a recipe is really just the same thing as adding corn syrup?

Corn syrup, the commodity found in Boone's Farm, Ripple, NightTrain, etc.

Corn syrup, one reason Coke's, and ALL soft drinks, don't taste like they did when I was a little kid?

Pogo

Pretty much, though if you buy corn syrup at the supermarket it's going to have other ingredients, such as vanilla flavoring, that would make it a poor beer addition.
That doesn't mean it's bad, though: it's just sugar without much flavor to it. A little of it for priming or to slightly boost ABV without making the beer maltier is harmless, just if you make dextrose or other "pure" sugars a large percentage of your fermentables(like a Mr. Beer basic refill) the quality of your beer will suffer.

PS: The corn syrup in soft drinks is high-fructose corn syrup, which is a bit different. For that, about half of the dextrose(glucose) is converted to sweeter fructose, for an overall sweetness similar but not identical to cane sugar. Chemically it's the same as honey or invert sugar, just with different flavoring agents. Plain corn syrup is pure glucose and about half as sweet as cane sugar - not that it matters to the yeast. :)

Thanks guys, for the input!

Yeah, I bought a case of Mexican Coca-Cola's last week from a vendor at a farmers market.

King-size, 12-ounce, glass 'pry-top' bottles, sweetened with REAL sugar!

MAN!!! It was great!!!

I doubt if most anyone under thirty, has ever tasted a REAL Coke!

Pogo

BTW - I'm going to re-use the bottles with some homebrew!

Hi, another Wooter! n00b here, just finished reading the last of the 127 pages of this thread this morning. Whew, lots of great information and knowledge but I think my brain is full.

The day of the Woot I also went to the Mr. Beer site and ordered the American Devil IPA and the Black Tower Porter, along with a Mr. Beer T-shirt and joined the Brew Club to get the shipping down to $5.

When the little brown keg finally got here I started with the IPA because I want to add some hops to the Pale Ale that came with the kit and hadn't bought any yet. I mixed the IPA up last Monday (I think it was the 26th). I was planning on leaving it in the basement but the temp down there was 63* and Mr. Beer's book said to look for 68 - 76 so I have the keg up in my dining room where it's been between 65 and 70. After reading this thread I guess the basement would have been ok after all.

The day after I started I had a big layer of foam on top of the wort, then it settled down. There are still a bunch of particles floating on top, an nice ring around the keg where the foam had been and a nice layer of trub on the bottom. It's now 9 days in and the upper inch or so of beer is starting to clear up, the rest is still pretty cloudy. If I shine a light in the end I can see little particles (yeast? hops?) slowly moving up and down, kind of like a tiny lava lamp.

I've snuck a little taste out of the handy spigot, very cloudy but it smells and tastes like a flat IPA. I'm hoping to bottle on Saturday because I'd like to have some ready for a Memorial Day weekend party we're having and that will give it 15 days to carb. I know that it will be pretty young then, but there are a bunch of people who will want to give it a taste that day.

If you've read this far, thanks, and I have a couple questions. Are the suspended particles normal? Should it be really clear before I bottle or is partly cloudy ok?

Thanks for this thread, it's gone a long way towards educating and inspiring me. Oh yeah, I just bought another keg, another batch of IPA and a batch of stout. Hey, it was on sale. Plus I want my free Brew Club goodies that come with the 2nd order.

Mark in Pittsburgh

Hi, another Wooter! n00b here, just finished reading the last of the 127 pages of this thread this morning. Whew, lots of great information and knowledge but I think my brain is full.

The day of the Woot I also went to the Mr. Beer site and ordered the American Devil IPA and the Black Tower Porter, along with a Mr. Beer T-shirt and joined the Brew Club to get the shipping down to $5.

When the little brown keg finally got here I started with the IPA because I want to add some hops to the Pale Ale that came with the kit and hadn't bought any yet. I mixed the IPA up last Monday (I think it was the 26th). I was planning on leaving it in the basement but the temp down there was 63* and Mr. Beer's book said to look for 68 - 76 so I have the keg up in my dining room where it's been between 65 and 70. After reading this thread I guess the basement would have been ok after all.

The day after I started I had a big layer of foam on top of the wort, then it settled down. There are still a bunch of particles floating on top, an nice ring around the keg where the foam had been and a nice layer of trub on the bottom. It's now 9 days in and the upper inch or so of beer is starting to clear up, the rest is still pretty cloudy. If I shine a light in the end I can see little particles (yeast? hops?) slowly moving up and down, kind of like a tiny lava lamp.

I've snuck a little taste out of the handy spigot, very cloudy but it smells and tastes like a flat IPA. I'm hoping to bottle on Saturday because I'd like to have some ready for a Memorial Day weekend party we're having and that will give it 15 days to carb. I know that it will be pretty young then, but there are a bunch of people who will want to give it a taste that day.

If you've read this far, thanks, and I have a couple questions. Are the suspended particles normal? Should it be really clear before I bottle or is partly cloudy ok?

Thanks for this thread, it's gone a long way towards educating and inspiring me. Oh yeah, I just bought another keg, another batch of IPA and a batch of stout. Hey, it was on sale. Plus I want my free Brew Club goodies that come with the 2nd order.

Mark in Pittsburgh

hey mark, everything sounds normal and your beer will clear up with time. Correct me if im wrong, but doesn't the MR. Beer brew club automatically send you ingredient kits and charge you for the monthly?

Customizable to every 1, 2, or 3 months. I've heard it's a decent deal if you're planning on sticking with Mr. Beer brewing for awhile, since the shipping is where they get you the hardest.

If you plan on keeping up with Mr. Beer ingredient kits, it's handy enough: you just need to edit your order if you don't want exactly the same thing as last shipment. I figure after my second order and the stuff that comes with, I'm going to cancel out and buy most of my ingredients elsewhere, all the same, since I want to go with more involved recipes.

hey mark, everything sounds normal and your beer will clear up with time. Correct me if im wrong, but doesn't the MR. Beer brew club automatically send you ingredient kits and charge you for the monthly?

True, but you can edit the order at any time, including changing the frequency of the shipment and the next ship date. They just had the premium refills on sale for 13-something so I put the two I wanted in my order, added the extra keg and changed my ship date to yesterday.

Unlike many of the posters in this thread, I don't have any current plans to switch to a 5 gallon setup although I may scale down some recipes to fit my kegs. Just kind of keeping it simple right now, I don't have a lot of free time and if I can make decent IPAs and stouts for under $20 a case, that's good for me right now.

Mark in Pittsburgh

mgeorg,
Your beer will clear, but it takes more time than you are going to give it. If you left it in the fermenter for 4 weeks, it would clear nicely. You can also try Whirfloc tabs(during boil), or cold crashing in the fridge for a few days before you bottle. All that said, I would let it ferment longer, but I am also a newb and understand the impatience to get something out quick and share it around.
So, the next best choice is make sure you have your next batch of ingredients ready to brew, so you can bottle and then brew and re-fill the fermenter to get your pipeline going. Better yet, get a second, third, or ninth fermenter and get them all going. :rockin:

I got my start with a Mr. Beer in college. It was a Christmas present from my parents who were tired of paying for my undergraduate in beer appreciation theory. Anyway, after two miserable attempts (following the instructions to a fine point) I threw the damn thing into a dumpster and never looked back. The best batch I had still tasted like carbonated sugar-free syrup. Had two bottle assplode on me, thus the loss the deposit on my apt. That crap is REALLY hard to get off of a popcorn ceiling.

I hate Mr. Beer but I have to respect it since it's what sparked my interest in home brewing.

Well I finally broke down and got a Mr. Beer kit after many a review reading.

It is a very simple start to the hobby for sure and something that I hope brews into an all grain recipe someday.

I followed the instructions to the T and I really hope my first back of West Coast Pale Ale comes out good. Heck, even if it doesnt I have 3 more refills ready to brew.

So far its been fermenting in the keg since this past Saturday and I know that I should go two weeks instead of the minimum 1 week but I figure if it comes out good with the bare minimum time it should be really good if left alone longer. I didnt peek into the brew keg until yesterday which I know is prolly a bad thing to do but I had to look and smell. I didnt really have the area lit well so I couldnt see its clarity but I could see some minute amounts of bubbling. Of course now I am paranoid that I screwed something up in the process or maybe contaminated it. We will see but so far it smells dang good. I have a hyper sensitive sense of smell and I can def. smell the alcohol.

I got my Mr. Beer Premium Ed Kit that came with the WCPA and I also purchased a standard refill pack of High Country Canadian Draft. Free shipping via Amazon.com!!!

I also signed up for the beer club to get my lil gift set of tools and with my first shipment today I got two Premium brew packs: Witty Monk Witbier and Pilothouse Pilsner as well as the Mr. Beer Bottle Labels for each of my 4 beer kits.

Another good find at Amazon but only purchasable via HSN, ladies you know what this is, guys its the Home Shopping Network. Well I found a kit that was normally $15 plust $5 s/h but it was on sale for $10 plus the s/h. What is it you ask? Well it was an extra set of 8 - 1L bottles with caps and 2 Mr. Beer logo'd Beer bottle carriers that hold 4 of the 1L bottles. Did I go overboard before I even had a first batch finished... Probably but its still fun win or lose and is but a stepping stone to the world of all grain brewing I wish to graduate to some day.

:mug:Cooo Coooo Cachooo Mr. Beer!!!:mug:

mgeorg,
Your beer will clear, but it takes more time than you are going to give it. If you left it in the fermenter for 4 weeks, it would clear nicely. You can also try Whirfloc tabs(during boil), or cold crashing in the fridge for a few days before you bottle. All that said, I would let it ferment longer, but I am also a newb and understand the impatience to get something out quick and share it around.
So, the next best choice is make sure you have your next batch of ingredients ready to brew, so you can bottle and then brew and re-fill the fermenter to get your pipeline going. Better yet, get a second, third, or ninth fermenter and get them all going. :rockin:

No worries, if it's not ready to bottle on Saturday, then it won't be bottled. The 2nd keg is already on the way...:cross:

Well I finally broke down and got a Mr. Beer kit after many a review reading.

Did I go overboard before I even had a first batch finished... Probably but its still fun win or lose and is but a stepping stone to the world of all grain brewing I wish to graduate to some day.

From all I can tell, the only two things that decide whether you've gone overboard are your wallet and whether you're finding the hobby fun or a chore. I'm still waiting on my first beer to finish carbonating, but I've gotten more stuff than the Mr. Beer already and my only regret is not having done this years ago.
Excuse me, I've got to go squeeze the bottles and see how they're firming up again. :)

Good call, JHendrix! The Apfelwein is awesome, though it takes quite a while to brew. Just set it and forget it...

Did I go overboard before I even had a first batch finished... Probably but its still fun win or lose and is but a stepping stone to the world of all grain brewing I wish to graduate to some day.

Perhaps you did, but you wouldn't be the first. I've yet to open my first bottle, yet I've already bought another 8-pack of the PET bottles, 4 refills (two-for-one coupon with my Woot purchase and then the sale on premium refills), the locking spigot and the bottling wand.

About a month ago, I got a Mr Beer from Woot. The day it arrived, I did the mix that came with it, West Coast Pale Ale. I've been reading the thread to get a feel for what others have done. I decided to let it ferment for 10 days and do the taste test. One piece of advice I read said if it tastes like flat beer it's done fermenting. If it is sweet/cidery tasting, let it sit. Well, it tasted like beer.:rockin:

I then bottled it up. Another piece of advice was once the Mr Beer bottles are hard, it is done carbing. It was about a week and they were hard.:ban: I have been impatient about wanting to taste it, so once they felt cold I decided to do the taste test. My expectation admittedly are low. First it should taste reasonable, meaning I should be able to drink a whole glass without wanting to poor it down the drain. Second, it has to have alcohol.:drunk:

I consider my first batch to be an extraordinary success!:mug: It was so good, I finished the first bottle! And, there is alcohol in it!:cross:

I'm letting the rest sit a bit longer then will start enjoying them. I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised with Mr Beer. It is incredibly easy and so far, the end product is worth it.:fro:

I'm about to start my second batch, Englishman's Nut-Brown Ale w/Mellow Amber. Can't wait for that to get done. I think I'll let this one ferment a little longer, just to see what happens.

I've only gotten to page 34 of this thread but it has been fun reading. I'll eventually get to the end.:D

My first batch has been fermenting for seven days as of today and I was gunna bottle it but before I sanitized my bottles I drew a lil bit into a shot glass and even though it smells like alcohol and tastes like flat beer it seems cloudy to me. I guess I am gunna let it set another 3-4 days and check it again. Hopefully its just cloudy from sediment and and not due to something I did wrong. Well, so much for getting my second batch going.

I tried my first beer(WCPA with some honey added): only nine days after bottling, but this was the half-bottle I had left over after doing the rest, so I didn't expect it to carbonate fully with so much head space. Sure enough, it's flat, but chilled down it's still drinkable. I have beer!

Popped my first bottle today. I can't say much in terms of the flavor department, but then I'd heard that about the pale ale. Nice head and thoroughly carbonated, it continued to bubble at nucleation sites throughout the glass. I HAVE MADE BEER!

Bottling my cherry wheat next weekend. I think I might try to collect enough empties by then and get a capper, even though I have a box of the liter bottles, since I've discovered that a liter of beer is a LOT of beer.

Thanks again for all the help of this thread. And yes, thank you Mr Beer.

Back