Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Temp in the room was between 68-72 the whole time. No thermometer on the lbk yet.

Fermentation is exothermic, so the temperature in the LBK was probably about 5 degrees higher than that. I haven't brewed with Mr Beer ingredients for a long time, but I think the yeast they use is pretty forgiving of temperature ranges, so you're probably ok. When the room temperature was at 72, you were likely at or a little above the optimal temperature range, but I don't think it should be too bad.

My lbk started leaking. The nut backed off on the spigot and I lost about a half gallon of my brew. I had to tighten the spigot back up. Contacted Mr. Beer. Stated they had never heard of this and never responded back. Has anyone else ever had this issue?

My lbk started leaking. The nut backed off on the spigot and I lost about a half gallon of my brew. I had to tighten the spigot back up. Contacted Mr. Beer. Stated they had never heard of this and never responded back. Has anyone else ever had this issue?

If you read back over the last few months people have had similar issues with the spigots not fitting on correctly d/t issues with the plastic not being smooth on the hole. Mine would pop the gasket every once in a while if I over tightened it.

I opened my first bottle of my classic American light, first brew ever. Spent two weeks in fermentor and two weeks bottle conditioning. With all the problems I had with my lbk leaking, my beer turned out tasting like a draft domestic in comparison. I used two carb drops per instructions for the 740ml pet bottles. It's a little over carbonated. Excited to see how this does with more age. Definitely will brew it again and now not only am I hooked buy so is my wife!

I opened my first bottle of my classic American light, first brew ever. Spent two weeks in fermentor and two weeks bottle conditioning. With all the problems I had with my lbk leaking, my beer turned out tasting like a draft domestic in comparison. I used two carb drops per instructions for the 740ml pet bottles. It's a little over carbonated. Excited to see how this does with more age. Definitely will brew it again and now not only am I hooked buy so is my wife!

Cool! It gets even easier as you understand the steps better each time.

Cool! It gets even easier as you understand the steps better each time.

Hello,
I noticed that in my first and second batch ( 2 weeks for fermentation + 2 weeks for carbonation + 3 days in fridge ):
1- American lager and czech pilsner refills have the same taste!
2- Not carbonated as I thought ( I put 1 drop in 0.5 LTR as mr beer recommended)!
3- have no head at all!

Please help

Hello,
I noticed that in my first and second batch ( 2 weeks for fermentation + 2 weeks for carbonation + 3 days in fridge ):
2- Not carbonated as I thought ( I put 1 drop in 0.5 LTR as mr beer recommended)!
3- have no head at all!

Please help

1 they probably are the same beer
2 did they seem undercarbed (sweet/maybe slightly viscous/green apple) at all? If not then I'd venture it's mr beer preferring not to have bottle bombs/gushers
3 higher carbonation may help that. Also clean glassware with no residues. Also more malt and Pilsner malts. Kinda the hazard of an easy kit, you get what you pay for.

Of note, they also weren't lagers so I'm sure they are missing some sulfur aromatics and flavors.

Solution, find your LHBS and get them to make up a 2 gallon kit (extract is okay) for a cream ale and use your existing equipment. Watch out though, you'll get addicted as Mr Beer kits are just a gateway kit ;)

1 they probably are the same beer
2 did they seem undercarbed (sweet/maybe slightly viscous/green apple) at all? If not then I'd venture it's mr beer preferring not to have bottle bombs/gushers
3 higher carbonation may help that. Also clean glassware with no residues. Also more malt and Pilsner malts. Kinda the hazard of an easy kit, you get what you pay for.

Of note, they also weren't lagers so I'm sure they are missing some sulfur aromatics and flavors.

Solution, find your LHBS and get them to make up a 2 gallon kit (extract is okay) for a cream ale and use your existing equipment. Watch out though, you'll get addicted as Mr Beer kits are just a gateway kit ;)

Thank you for your reply. I will try and maybe my beer need more time ( 3 weeks for each stage)

Thank you for your reply. I will try and maybe my beer need more time ( 3 weeks for each stage)

Depending on what you are tasting in the beer the extra time may help but it may also do nothing. If you answer the previous questions about off flavors/mouthfeels we can help you work through it. Alternatively, one of us is probably pretty close to you and can maybe taste through it with you if you let us know where you are (there are members of this group internationally)

Since I seem to be up and brewing with my LBK now. Anyone have any Mr Beer refill suggestions for my next batch?

Yes - forget the refills and brew 2.5G all-grain batches with the MrB equipment. You'll enjoy the beers so much better that way.

:D

Yes - forget the refills and brew 2.5G all-grain batches with the MrB equipment. You'll enjoy the beers so much better that way.

Agreed. At least try a mini/partial-mash or at the very least extract with some steeping grains. Gets you familiar with using fresh ingredients while getting more accustomed to the rest of the process. Lots of lbhs's and online stores have good kits from steeping grains, paritial mash to all-grain.

I don't think too little yeast is what's happening, (I guess the video attachment isn't working :(). If this high gravity wort is still rolling and churning at two weeks, I'm going to wait another week before I start checking it's gravity. ;)

I made a near 12% barleywine in the MrB keg and it was still active after 2 weeks, even using US-05 yeast. It did finally calm down before week 3 was up, so you seem to be right on track.

It

Briess.com has some all extract recipes on there website. They are five gallon batches so adjust the amounts accordingly. ... you could go to your LHBS and purchase Briess 3.3 lbs LME or 3 lbs Briess DME, a pack of dry yeast, and hops. Research which yeast gives what flavors, hops too.

The 3 lb DME or 3.3 lb LME's are good for 2.5 gal batches. They "fit" in the LBK, but when my last couple of batches were brewing the lid has pushed off during high krausen, (high gravity, extra sugars..;-) ).My next high gravity Beer I'm going to try just 2 gal. (I believe the LBK is 2.113 gal??)

Do you have a hydrometer and testing tube? You can check to see if you're done by checking the gravity after a couple of weeks. If it doesn't change over two or three days, it's probably finished.

Also check out the free"Biermacht" app. I've learned a lot about recipes by trying different combinations of ingredients. Also informative about different beer Styles. There's also a forum here about it, the author is a HomeBrewTalk member.
Cheers

It will probably mellow out if you give it enough time.
Just brew another batch and come back to that one in a couple of months and see if they still taste like green apple.

So, I've left the bottled beer in the fridge for quite a while now (last sampling was July 7). Cracked open a couple of them with a bud of mine this afternoon. The extra time really helped mellow the green apple taste. Was all but gone. :mug:

Good to hear fedoradude. In my experience it never really went away or I ended up with gushers. You can try cracking the cap on the mr beer Bottles to bleed some pressure a few times if your carb level gets too high.

So, I've left the bottled beer in the fridge for quite a while now (last sampling was July 7). Cracked open a couple of them with a bud of mine this afternoon. The extra time really helped mellow the green apple taste. Was all but gone. :mug:

I think even the best beers need a week of cold conditioning.

It

Briess.com has some all extract recipes on there website. They are five gallon batches so adjust the amounts accordingly. ... you could go to your LHBS and purchase Briess 3.3 lbs LME or 3 lbs Briess DME, a pack of dry yeast, and hops. Research which yeast gives what flavors, hops too.

The 3 lb DME or 3.3 lb LME's are good for 2.5 gal batches. They "fit" in the LBK, but when my last couple of batches were brewing the lid has pushed off during high krausen, (high gravity, extra sugars..;-) ).My next high gravity Beer I'm going to try just 2 gal. (I believe the LBK is 2.113 gal??)

Do you have a hydrometer and testing tube? You can check to see if you're done by checking the gravity after a couple of weeks. If it doesn't change over two or three days, it's probably finished.

Also check out the free"Biermacht" app. I've learned a lot about recipes by trying different combinations of ingredients. Also informative about different beer Styles. There's also a forum here about it, the author is a HomeBrewTalk member.
Cheers

I agree on Briess - www.brewingwithbriess.com. They have a lot of recipes that you can search based on style. And that's right - a can of liquid extract or a 3lb bag of dry is perfect for a Mr. Beer sized batch.

I don't know what the Mr. Beer refills cost these days, but you should be able to make a better batch with the ingredients for about the same cost, if not less.

Hello,
3- have no head at all!

Please help

You need at least 3 weeks for carbonation with Mr. beer. If you really want it to turn out, I'd go 3 to 4 weeks just on the fermentation, then another 3 weeks for carbonation depending on the temp of course. JMHO.

Yep, that's what I do, as recommended in the Mr. Beer Forums. 3 weeks fermenting and then 4 weeks carbonating/conditioning, works great for me. I just put it on my calendar so I know when to bottle and then when it's ready to drink.

It's about yeast health then if you "need" 3 weeks to ferment and 4 weeks to carb up. With healthy yeast you can ferment fully with cleanup of byproducts in 7-10 days safely. I've had beers fully carbed in under a week as well though I usually give it 2 weeks as the beer needs a short period to come back together after disturbing it for packaging. If you do nothing else, get some healthy yeast from a LHBS for your next batch.

I didn't start with Mr. Beer, but I was on a brewing hiatus and was coincidentally given a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas 2014.

After spending some time on the Mr. Beer forum, which I found to be a rather odd place where some not-exactly-100%-correct advice is taken as gospel and defended rather militantly, I noticed that some are of the mindset that using Mr. Beer products is somehow different from "mainstream" homebrewing. For example, when I was new to the forum I was chastised by a senior member when I mentioned that I had boiled my hopped extract. I was informed that I had ruined my beer by doing so. Seriously. There were a number of real head-scratcher threads, but the final straw for me was a rather heated argument I had with a noob over conditioning time. Maybe I got off on the wrong foot when early on I told everyone that, in addition to boiling the s*** out of my cans of Mr. Beer light lager extract, I had used them to make an ESB and a saison. Whatever.

Anywho, "Mr. Beer brewing" basically consists of 1. A uniquely-shaped small batch fermenter (which works well), 2. kits from Coopers which brew 2 gallons of beer, and 3. the use of plastic screw-top bottles and carb drops. Other than that, you're making beer just like every other extract/partial mash brewer.

Don't get me wrong. I think the Mr. Beer system is a good product for the beginning brewer, or one who is happy doing small extract batches and/or wants to try small partial mash recipes. For me it was nice because the fermenters were small, and until recently I had serious limitations on space. I never used the carb drops or plastic screw-tops, not because I had a problem with them but simply because I preferred batch priming and glass bottles. Once I had used up the Mr. Beer extract I had accumulated (thanks to the clearance aisle at Target), I went straight to 2.5 gallon all-grain batches that were fermented in Mr. Beer LBKs.

Does Mr. Beer offer any advantages over the more conventional homebrew kit I bought at Price Club (aka Costco) 22 years ago? No, although some of Mr. Beer's features might be preferable to some brewers. Ymmv.

Mr. Beer products are fine, and I wouldn't tell anyone to avoid them. However, I have a few words of advice for new Mr. Beer brewers who might be reading this. First, don't think for a minute that you have to stick with Mr. Beer kits. There are bazillions of great recipes available for free online, plus formulating your own recipes is fun and easy. (You should be patronizing your local homebrew shop anyway.) You can make just as good or better beer without using Mr. Beer kits, so don't be afraid to branch out if the spirit moves you. Second, do not rely solely on the Mr. Beer forum for homebrewing advice. No offense meant towards members of that forum, but in my experience there are better options available. This site and the AHA site are outstanding resources, for example.

Cheers! :mug:

Did you look at the mrbeerfans forum? I always thought they were helpful. Ideas for how to tweak the kits or create scratch recipes.

But they're right about boiling it. It's already been boiled for the full time. It's like doing a 2 hour boil. But it's your beer!

Did you look at the mrbeerfans forum? I always thought they were helpful. Ideas for how to tweak the kits or create scratch recipes.

But they're right about boiling it. It's already been boiled for the full time. It's like doing a 2 hour boil. But it's your beer!

The mrbeerfans forum no longer exists. It started as an independent forum before mr beer had a forum. It was later bought by mr beer and was eventually shut down.

Most of the former mrbeer fans denizens have migrated to http://www.beerborg.com/forum/

Nope, the dude was wrong. I was using the Mr. Beer hopped extract to make a bitter. I wanted to add additional bittering and flavor hops which required boiling. I already had brewing experience before I went on that forum, so I kinda knew what I was talking about.
:mug:

I've been a lurker of this forum for quite some time.
I started homebrewing a few years ago for the wrong reasons...
Make cheap beer and drink a few too many.
This led to rushed beers and giving up the craft far too soon.
I made a couple beers from extracts, then did a partial mash, but by the time it was finished we were in the process of moving. I was also in the process of moving out of homebrewing.

Here I am a few years later, starting from scratch and once again with the Mr. Beer Kits.
I have a hard time starting with the basics so I have a few things bottling and others fermenting (one of which is the hard root beer kit that I'll sweeten with sucralose rather than using their funky "breathable" caps).

Happy Brewing!

I've made a few MrB brews. Only one was the kit straight-up, and it wasn't good. All the others had hops and/or DME added, as well as possibly other specialty grains. They weren't bad.

Since then, I've continued to use the MrB barrels to ferment in, but have gone on to making 2.5G all-grain batches. Beer is awesome.

If you dare venture to the Mr. Beer site's forum, stay away from that one pompous ass that thinks he knows everything (not naming names here, but let's say his name rhymes with Tick Deer). Most of the other guys seemed pretty cool, a few definitely were.

I've made a few MrB brews. Only one was the kit straight-up, and it wasn't good. All the others had hops and/or DME added, as well as possibly other specialty grains. They weren't bad.

Since then, I've continued to use the MrB barrels to ferment in, but have gone on to making 2.5G all-grain batches. Beer is awesome.

If you dare venture to the Mr. Beer site's forum, stay away from that one pompous ass that thinks he knows everything (not naming names here, but let's say his name rhymes with Tick Deer). Most of the other guys seemed pretty cool, a few definitely were.

They don't hand out "Mr. Beer Brewer of the Month" awards to just anybody ya know. Frankly I think you're just jealous of the incredible number of "likes" he's received on his posts, which he casually mentions in his frequently updated signature. :D

Hello everybody. I'm just getting into brewing with a goal to become a pro. I don't want to brew the kits that come with Mr. Beer. I want to use the fermenter to make all grain test batches. I just noticed not many people say they use it for that purpose. I'm actually collecting 8 of them to brew a 5 gallon batch per week but divide the batch and ferment 2 different ways. Thought it would be a good way to test different recipes.

Any thoughts on this plan would be appreciated.

Brewdude, A little advice.Take Baby Steps. Read more about brewing than maybe 3 pages on a forum.(not saying you did this)Ask many questions. You sound like you are diving into this addiction really fast. I hope after a batch or 2 that have maybe less than stellar results,you don't become one of the mindless multitude that throws their fermenter into the closet and gives up brewing.Every brewer has made mistakes.Learn from them and don't repeat them.Brewing can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be. I use Mr. Beer and Brew Demon extract products and with the additions of different hops and steeped grains I produce some pretty tasty beers.Anyhow,good luck in your plan.Cheers.

Thank you for your response. I absolutely expect to mess up a lot. This is why I intend to brew every week til I become really good. I learned to ride a motorcycle in 10 minutes I think within 2 years I can brew a few world class brews. If not world class, at least something people wouldn't mind spending a few bucks to drink.

Hello everybody. I'm just getting into brewing with a goal to become a pro. I don't want to brew the kits that come with Mr. Beer. I want to use the fermenter to make all grain test batches. I just noticed not many people say they use it for that purpose. I'm actually collecting 8 of them to brew a 5 gallon batch per week but divide the batch and ferment 2 different ways. Thought it would be a good way to test different recipes.

Any thoughts on this plan would be appreciated.

They would work for that, and the size is convenient. I think that would be a tough pace to keep up. But more importantly, you need the time between batches to learn what's good or bad with each test batch. It takes at least 2 weeks in the fermenter to finish, then a couple of weeks to condition. There are people who make beer in 10 days, but I always find that it takes 6-8 weeks to get good.

I would suggest having 2 more LBKs than you have batches fermenting, so you always have an empty set waiting each week. If you did a 3 week cycle, you could do it with 6 LBKs (assuming you package a batch then refill the fermenters) or 8 if you want it to be a little easier.

I am wondering if that is cost effective compared to 2 gallon buckets with airlocks. It might be pretty close in terms of price.

What kind of test batches do you have in mind?

Hello sir and thanks. I'm not sure what LBK'S are? But I will start with smash beers to first learn more of the taste of 1 hop and 1 malt with 2 different yeast strains in 2 different fermenters. Maybe dry hop 1 and not the other. I'm taking a year to just experiment before creating solid recipes of my own.

Brewdude,how many extract batches have you brewed and how many AG batches are under your belt.You mentioned brewing beer that folks would spend their bucks on. I don't think its legal to sell homebrewed spirits in the USA.Or maybe you live elsewhere.Any way good luck again.

I have one extract brew under belt. No all grain yet. I'm not planning to sell beer illegally. I hope to open my own brewort pub or nano brewery in a few years.

Back