mr. beer green flash help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerisfood

Reaction score
hey guys, i recently relocated to a base where the beer selection is pretty much non existent other than Heineken and carlsberg, and i am craving actual beer to the point of frustration.

I have never brewed before and i thought id start with the a Mr. Beer kit, but i dont want to settle for their recipies and after a quick google search i found that theres a Green Flash WCIPA recipie that people seemed to brew successfully and i love that beer.

Problem is its a 6 gal. recipe and mr. beer only has 2 gallons kits. So my question is, A) is there a way to cut the ingidients for a 2 gal. kit? or B) is there a better all in one, cheap kit i can buy that will allow me to deal with the 6 gal.?

heres the recipe:

SG 1069
79% apparent attenuation
FG 1013-1014
SRM 8.8
7.4% abv
IBUs

90 minute boil

WLP001. Ferment starting at 68F, let it increase to 72F over the course of fermentation.

14 lbs US 2 row
1.31 lbs Crystal 40 (substituted for Carastan)
1.31 lbs Carapils

0.5oz simcoe @90m
0.25oz simcoe @60m
0.25oz columbus @60m
0.25oz simcoe @30m
0.25oz columbus @30m
0.75oz simcoe @15m
0.75oz columbus @15m
1oz cascade @10m
0.5oz columbus @1m
0.5oz simcoe @1m
0.5oz each of amarillo, simcoe, columbus, centennial, and cascade for dry hop.

Mash @ 152F for 35m or until conversion
Mash out @ 168F
Sparge @ 170F

thanks for any help.

You can scale down easily- dividing all ingredients by the size batch you want to make, say, in half.

Converting from all-grain to extract is easy. In general, one pound of base grain (two-row)= .6 pound of light dry extract. Keep the "crystal" or "cara" malts, which are steeping grains, the same.

So for that recipe, just dividing it in half for the grain (do the same for the hops):
7 pounds two-row = 4.5 pounds light DME (it's more like 4.2, but 4.5 is easier, and is fine!)
.65 pound carastan
.65 pound carapils

I'd skip the Mr. Beer, as the only item that would be useful is the little fermenter, and you'd be better off with a food-safe bucket, a lid, and an airlock. (drill a little hole in the lid for the airlock).

You need some siphon tubing, a bottling wand, a hydrometer, a racking cane (an autosiphon is most useful) and a few other items.

I'd recommend a kit from a place like northernbrewer.com or austinhomebrew.com. You can get by with the "basic kit". Here's an example: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/beer-equipment-starter-kits/essential-brewing-starter-kit

You can scale down easily- dividing all ingredients by the size batch you want to make, say, in half.

Converting from all-grain to extract is easy. In general, one pound of base grain (two-row)= .6 pound of light dry extract. Keep the "crystal" or "cara" malts, which are steeping grains, the same.

So for that recipe, just dividing it in half for the grain (do the same for the hops):
7 pounds two-row = 4.5 pounds light DME (it's more like 4.2, but 4.5 is easier, and is fine!)
.65 pound carastan
.65 pound carapils

I'd skip the Mr. Beer, as the only item that would be useful is the little fermenter, and you'd be better off with a food-safe bucket, a lid, and an airlock. (drill a little hole in the lid for the airlock).

You need some siphon tubing, a bottling wand, a hydrometer, a racking cane (an autosiphon is most useful) and a few other items.

I'd recommend a kit from a place like northernbrewer.com or austinhomebrew.com. You can get by with the "basic kit". Here's an example: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/beer-equipment-starter-kits/essential-brewing-starter-kit

thanks, very helpful, if i can get this kit shipped to where i am im def gonna go for the 6 gal brew.

the only thing im having problems with is mash and sparge

thanks, very helpful, if i can get this kit shipped to where i am im def gonna go for the 6 gal brew.

the only thing im having problems with is mash and sparge

If you're using extract, there isn't any mashing and sparging as the extract is already premade. You just steep some grain in grainbags, that's it!

Back