Mr beer biab?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrblessing1

Reaction score
Has anyone used the mr beer ferment keg to ferment a 2 gal batch of biab? I'm wanting to step away from extract and try biab without spending a ton of money

I have, it worked fine. I attempted to seal the lid with a bead of hot glue in the notches and drilled a hole in the cap for an airlock, with no success...but the beer still turned out well.

Has anyone used the mr beer ferment keg to ferment a 2 gal batch of biab? I'm wanting to step away from extract and try biab without spending a ton of money

This is how I stepped into all-grain. I did 3 Mr. Beer kits, then an extract recipe I designed myself, two partial mashes before doing my first BIAB brew at 8 liters. They work exceedingly well for this purpose.

I still use the MBKs for 4 liter SMaSH batches. I like the ability to test the different hops without making a full batch that I would end up with a bunch of test bottles hanging around for a long time waiting to be consumed.

I've done about eight all grain BIAB 2 gallon batches using the same mr beer fermenter.

It has worked as expected and made some quality beers. The spigot is alright, but can clog sometimes and let's some trub through if you're not careful.

the only downside to mr beer is the lid. I have used them in the past until i found some cheep 3g better bottles. Anything that you are turning around in 1-2 weeks or so should be (and has been for me) fine after that I think oxidation is a concern with that lid.

If you can find the old Nr beer fermenters that had the fully sealed screw on lids that took airlocks they work well. That's what I have one of. I was given it because I was already brewing so folks thought I would like it.

If you can find it the old version of the Mr beer keglet had a screw on lid that sealed completely and took an airlock. That's what I have, it was a gift because I already brewed and folks thought I would really like it.

Same here. I did it many times with no problems before I upgraded to 5 gallons. I never had a problem with oxidation.

I bought a gasket from the plumbing section at Ace Hardware that was for the sink. It seals up the notches well. I drilled a hole for a grommet and airlock. I use it as a secondary for my smaller BIAB batches.

I use the same 6 1/2 gallon bucket that I use for 5 gallon batches for 2 1/2 gallons. Works fine. The fermentation process puts out so much excess CO2 that it fills the extra space anyway.

MY LHBS has 3 gallon plastic fermenters for less than $20. Great for 2 or 2.5 gallon batches. Or you can go really cheap and ask at the bakery section of your local supermarket for leftover food grade buckets. Frosting and other baking items come in them and I get them for $1. Pick one with a tight fitting lid, drill a whole for a stopper and and airlock and your good to go. I used buckets for years to make wine and beer until I eventually upgraded to glass and plastic carboys.

Back