MP4 to AVI converter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the right direction to convert mp4 videos to an avi format? I'm looking for something free that's not going to impregnate my laptop with anything other than exactly what I'm looking for. I'm getting my feet wet in astrophotography and I'm unfamiliar with this conversion. I know I can pay for plenty of reputable software but I spend most of my money on grain, honey, fruit, equipment, etc, etc....

Whenever I need a free converter I just do a search online and then do much research - why are they free? Because they almost always install a bunch of crap software along with the converter. Most give you the option when installing to decline or untick boxes that preclude you from installing the tag-along software. If the install forces you to agree or quit, then I just exit.

Why do you need to do that? Usually it's the other way around and I'd use handbrake. Maybe Miro video converter will do it, I'm not in front of a computer at the moment.

I've been reading so many different forums on how to convert MP4 to AVI. Finally, I summarized three solutions:

First one: HandBrake . This tool is a free and open-source multi-threaded transcoding app.

Cons:

1. HandBrake is too professional to handle for most people;
2. It doesn't support MOV as output format.

Second one: there are many third party software which supports converting MP4 to AVI.I highly recommend this utility which can batch convert MP4 to AVI much easier, faster on Mac or Windows

I'm not sure why you'd want to go from MP4 to AVI these days, but in any case:

I have used Freemake and I think it does a good job.

I've also used Super, by eRight. It's got a LOT of options, and I usually end up running it a few times before I get the video I want, but it's very flexible and I don't recall it trying to install extra software, but in any case:

Pay careful attention when installing ANY software, because a lot of times they will attempt to sideload other software! You can usually opt out of them. It's mostly the "free" installs that do this, but even the bigger companies do it with their free versions.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to convert mp4 videos to an avi format? I'm looking for something free that's not going to impregnate my laptop with anything other than exactly what I'm looking for. I'm getting my feet wet in astrophotography and I'm unfamiliar with this conversion. I know I can pay for plenty of reputable software but I spend most of my money on grain, honey, fruit, equipment, etc, etc....

I use the following online converter to do non-video conversions, but it looks like they can handle almost anything. Nothing to install on your own computer; you upload file in one type, and then download the converted results when it's finished. It's locked up once or twice on me. When that happened, I just refreshed my browser and submitted again and it worked.

http://www.convertfiles.com/

If you're using an intervalometer (timer) and stacking images, there's some pretty good software out there for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back