Moving to Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spartan21

Reaction score
So I've decided it's time to move to kegging and ditch the bottles. I'm a novice brewer at this point, maybe 12 batches under my belt but ready to step it up. I recently moved to AG, just completed my 2nd AG batch. I've made the purchases to move to kegs and to build a Keezer.

So here's my parts list so far:

2 5 gal. used Ball Lock corny kegs, $65 each free shipping eBay
4 extra sets of o-rings
2 keg basic kit for ball lock kegs with Taprite duel gauge regulator, 2 line manifold, lines, connectors and party taps (to use until the Keezer is complete)
2 Perlick SS Faucet/shank combos
GE 7 CU Chest Freezer - Homedepot
1 Johnson controls digital controller
Beer line cleaning kit

Other than a Co2 tank, lumber, and hardware I think i have everything I need to get things going. I plan to start basic with the Keezer by doing a Billy Brew type collar with the plans to maybe build a cabinet enclosure at some point.

I brewed a 5 gallon AG batch of Biermuncher's cream of 3 crops cream ale this weekend. I wanted something SWMBO may enjoy as the first brew from the tap to help justify the $$ being spent.

Anything I'm missing in my parts list? Any advise or tips for a 1st time kegger?

I use 3/16 ID lines for my taps. 10-12 feet seems to be the Goldilocks zone for most beers at 10-14#'s. I recommend starting at 14 feet and keep trimming it down until you get the pour you want. I curl mine up and zip tie them into a nice circle, then just lay them on the top of the keg. Never have a foaming issue again!

Get a small fan and a dehumidifier for the keezer. Make sure your freezer seals are air tight.

Get more kegs. You know you want to...

I use 3/16 ID lines for my taps. 10-12 feet seems to be the Goldilocks zone for most beers at 10-14#'s. I recommend starting at 14 feet and keep trimming it down until you get the pour you want. I curl mine up and zip tie them into a nice circle, then just lay them on the top of the keg. Never have a foaming issue again!

Get a small fan and a dehumidifier for the keezer. Make sure your freezer seals are air tight.

Get more kegs. You know you want to...

Thanks for the tips.

If you get up to the Cleveland area I would suggest getting a couple kegs from:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/members/thadeus_d3 $40-45 each, they need new rings but good deal.

I run 5 foot lines and they are just fine, I was told (and again what I was told), that the length doesn't matter. I, knock on wood, never had an issue. Look on craigslist for co2 tanks and regulators as well. Heck for most things. I've gotten some amazing deals there. Freezers are usually on the cheappppp there too, got mine for $40, unless you want new. Me, I'm super frugal (and poor).

Johnson is nice but cheap you can get a STC1000, also depending on where you'll have it, inside or out, outside you'll need some heat.

+1 on keg lube or food grade lube. Kegging is great wish I'd done it a long time ago.

Nice! When I bought mine a couple years ago I waited for it to go on sale, then used a coupon and coupled it with a 5% cash back deal w/ my credit card. I think I paid like $150 for the damn thing in the end. It's a great freezer.

I use MFL connections so I can easily swap between commercial and ball lock kegs. That might be a route you want to consider. Better to do it at the beginning that try to retrofit everything later.

+1 MFLs are the way to go. IMO even if you don't want to use commercial kegs they still have advantages since you can easily remove/clean QDs without dealing with barbs and clamps.

Read through this whole thread today…excellent information. Thanks to all for making it available.

I've been wanting to switch to kegging but it's been cost prohibitive as I've been upgrading my brewing equipment to AG instead. I decided to get a simple start on a keezer though and bought the freezer from HD today since they were on sale. I already have a JC temperature control module that I use on my upright freezer converted for holding bottles that I'll switch over to the keezer. Unfortunately, the shelves on the upright are the non removable cooling type so I can't use if for kegs.

So next on the list is to order a pair of kegs with the hardware to use them picnic style. That'll get me started on kegging and I can upgrade with the collar, another couple of kegs, and some taps later on.

I really had no intention of buying a freezer today, but this thread pushed me over the edge.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404441369.789978.jpg
Finished the Keezer build today. SWMBO allowed me to put it in the living room. Need too hook up the internals. Got the controller and fan installed, just need the C02 stuff hooked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yay! Every time a keezer is built... an angle gets it's wings.

At least that's how I feel. You know... the fat, balding comb-over angels with the "mom" heart tattoos and they're smoking cigars. They deserve wings.

Back