moving to all-grain by summer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish1225

Reaction score
hello all, this thread is more concerned with getting down the right checklist, and not necessarily places to find the equipment

so... wanting to make a move to all-grain in the next few months, i've figured out a list of equipment i'll need to save up for before then

MLT - i was considering a 10-gallon rubbermaid, round, water cooler for this. i figure i can start on the "smaller" side of the spectrum and build up if i ever want to expand to anything greater than 5-gal batches. i also liked the build directions on the wiki (i forget the OP, but thank you).

Larger boil pot - right now, i'm using a ~20qt stainless pot on my gas stove. i'm thinking i'll wait 'til warmer weather when i can find a turkey fryer at wal-mart and see what size they have; but i was thinking 40qt would be a nice size to start with for 5 gal. batches.

IC - thinking i'll just build it to save some cash.

and, in advance, i appreciate any help anyone can offer.

again, remember, i'm looking to build up from what i have and don't necessarily want to spend too much on something that wouldn't meet my immediate expectations for 5-gal batches.

Sounds like you are on the right track. The 10G cooler will work well and 40qt pot is about the minimum I'd recommend for 5G all grain batches. Hang on to your 20QT pot so you can heat sparge water on another burner, or in the house.

Good luck.

alright! found a 10-gallon rubbermaid at a local ace hardware - for $50 no less! best price i found considering shipping online and any other local store!

Back