Moving to a 12 gal cooler as a mash tun. Which system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
I am doing BIAB in a kettle but my 9 gallons kettle does not fit for high ABV beers and I wish to move to the next level.

Aiming at a 12 gallons cooler is mostly for economy but I also like the idea that it will keep constant temperature during the mash.

1. What system would you suggest me?

Cooler + BIAB bag ?
Cooler + Simple Vorlauf ?

2. What sparge method would you suggest for a nice time efficiency / effort / time ratio?

Your help is appreciated.

I use a 48-quart cooler with a manifold and batch sparge. I have no problems maintaining temperature and typically have only 1-2 degree drop at most over 60 minutes. No problems with high ABV brews, even with a mash of 1.50 qt per pound of grain.

For me, it does what I want it to do with good efficiency.

For a long time, I used a 36 quart Colman Extreme with a PVC manifold. Then I switched to a boozoka screen.

I vorlaufed but didn't sparge and averaged about 66% efficiency.

I recently switched to BIAB in a keggle as an intermediate step on building a HERMS.

I know I was leaving wort behind with my manifold. It was probably just a cup or two but I hated seeing it after every brew. It was annoying putting it together on brewday. But vorlaufing took me about 1 minute.

I switched to the bazooka to try to stop leaving wort behind. I liked the bazooka screen a lot. Really easy to install on brewday. But vorlaufing would take a really long time (5 - 10 minutes). If I had a problem, it was a stuck mash. To fix that, I'd scrape against it with a spoon and Vorlauf again.

I've only done 2 BIABs in my keggle. The thing that worried me on both of them was even temperatures. I hadn't installed a thermometer or a valve yet. I just bought a thermometer and a bit for drilling the keggle.

When they get here, I'll get it and the valve I was using on my MLT with the bazooka screen installed. That way, if I get worried about temperature evenness, I can do some manual recirculating until I can pick up a pump.

The thing I like most about the keggle is direct firing. No more pouring gallons of hot water to dough-in and then pouring a gallon or two of boiling water into the mash for a step mash.

I am doing BIAB in a kettle but my 9 gallons kettle does not fit for high ABV beers and I wish to move to the next level.

Aiming at a 12 gallons cooler is mostly for economy but I also like the idea that it will keep constant temperature during the mash.

1. What system would you suggest me?

Cooler + BIAB bag ?

Cooler + Simple Vorlauf ?

2. What sparge method would you suggest for a nice time efficiency / effort / time ratio?

Your help is appreciated.

Have you tried a sparge using BIAB with your 9 gallon kettle? This would allow you to achieve higher gravity using more grain.

Coolers can be used many ways and they all work well. When I batch sparge with a cooler, I use a SS braid, runoff the mash, and sparge once such that the two runoffs are close volumes. Roughly 60% total water at mash in, 40% for sparging.

Some like to use a bag, some prefer a manifold, I like a braid. Really personal preference.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Have you tried a sparge using BIAB with your 9 gallon kettle? This would allow you to achieve higher gravity using more grain.

Coolers can be used many ways and they all work well. When I batch sparge with a cooler, I use a SS braid, runoff the mash, and sparge once such that the two runoffs are close volumes. Roughly 60% total water at mash in, 40% for sparging.

Some like to use a bag, some prefer a manifold, I like a braid. Really personal preference.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

I recently picked up one of your bags for my 10 gal cooler :rockin: I have been using stainless braid with decent results. Looking forward to going nuts on my crush and not worrying about a stuck sparge now though. Should be no issue to use a bag and leave the stainless braid in place right?

@wilserbrewer What are your average efficiency ?

Haha, I don't really track efficiency, I don't even always check my OG.

I do know that I can consistently make a 1/4 keg 7.75 gallon batch with an OG approx 1.050 plus, w/ 15 lbs of grain...about 9 gallons post boil.

OK, I think that's about about 85%. I care more about an efficient process that works, rather than how many ounces of grain I'm using. Yes, I buy grain by the sack priced right. If my OG is a tad high, I will sometimes add a water bottle or two to the fermenter.

I recently picked up one of your bags for my 10 gal cooler :rockin: I have been using stainless braid with decent results. Looking forward to going nuts on my crush and not worrying about a stuck sparge now though. Should be no issue to use a bag and leave the stainless braid in place right?

I have never tried a braid and a bag? Never worn a belt and suspenders either. My guess is that a biab and braid should work, but IDK???

I do know that some try and use a FB and a braid because Bayou Classic sells a pot combo that comes with both, this can be a problem in that the braid is trying to filter with only flour that passes the FB...sometimes a braid needs a mash with husks to create a filter??? A bag and braid could be similar, but almost nothing passes the bag besides protiens / trub, so I guess it should work hopefully.

With a bag what purpose does the braid serve?

Latest posts

Back