Moving past brew kits...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmarkk1

Reaction score
I've brewed quite a few batches. I get brew ingredients from Northern Brewer and have always been very happy. I've never made my own recipe...just use one of their kits.
My question is what would happen if I added ingredients to their kits? Adding extra malt and/or hops?
Can I mess up the batch?
Or, if I make my own recipe, what are the fundamental ingredients needed? Along with the right ratios?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

Yes you can improve or worsen the kits by adding your own ingredients. At the point you are at, experimenting should help your progression in brewing.

Partial mash kits are another good progression, as you can then start to get a feel on different malts and what flavors they add. Its then easier to add malts that need to be mashed. NB has some really good PM kits as well, like the Surly kits.

If you want to start looking at adding different things to existing recipes and kits you can plug them into a program like Beersmith and then add what you want to see how it will effect ABV, Color, IBUs etc.

I'd start with making partial mash beers and copying people's recipes from the internet. Leave their grain bill alone but feel free to substitute the hops with hops that you think might work. Then later on you can start playing around with specialty grains and then after that experimenting with different base malts combined with certain specialty grains and hops.

By that time, you'll probably be pretty pleased with all of the knowledge you've accumulated and all of the good beer you've made, and you'll either be happy to continue doing what you're doing or you'll want to delve into the world of all-grain. And then skip forward ten years and you'll be starting up a nanobrewery.

You might negatively affect a kit by adding something, but more than likely you will just change it, not kill it. If you've tried a holiday ale and thought "it's okay but a little bland" you can try adding more spices (cinnamon/nutmeg/ginger/clove) or if you want more hops you can add an extra ounce (either the same ones in the recipe or pick one based on the flavor profile).
If you want to dip your toe in first, search here for extract recipes. By reading people's comments you can decide which ones to try. It will also help you get an idea of how different grains affect flavor and which hops you prefer so when you attempt your first recipe creation you feel more confident.

I've brewed quite a few batches. I get brew ingredients from Northern Brewer and have always been very happy. I've never made my own recipe...just use one of their kits.
My question is what would happen if I added ingredients to their kits? Adding extra malt and/or hops?
Can I mess up the batch?
Or, if I make my own recipe, what are the fundamental ingredients needed? Along with the right ratios?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

Most recipes follow this formula:
1. A lot of base grains (2 row, 6 row, etc.) OR a bunch of DME/LME
2. Some specialty/steeping grains
3. Hops to be added to the boil on schedule
4. Yeast to match the style

Very generally, messing with #1 changes the OG and maltiness, #2 changes color and flavor, #3 changes bitterness and hop aroma, #4 changes flavor.

Go for it!

Back