Moving on to hoppier things (Spicy IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beefygt

Reaction score
So I have already brewed two batches of beer which have been okay thus far. However I feel it is time to do something that has more hop goodness, but I would like it to be kind of spicy at the same time. Looking around on these forums for some time now I have built up on some ideas that I would like to blend into my brewing practice.

With that being said I wish to build a copper like IPA with probably about 8 to 10 ounces of hop additions (two ounces dry hopped). I am thinking about using a lot of Chinook hops seeing as how they have a spicy and pine like flavor and aroma. On top of that some cinnamon in the primary boil, then some oak shavings to add another spicy note.

What are some other common spices that would complement high hop flavors, or may be better then cinnamon or oak?

8-10oz is a whole lot of hops, I just bought the ingredients for the DFH 90 min clone and it was only 5 oz total for about 90 IBUs. 8 oz of 5% for 30 mins gives you ~90 IBUs. I'm assuming we're talking about 5 gallon batches here, if you're brewing 10 gallons it's more reasonable but still really hoppy.

With that being said I wish to build a copper like IPA with probably about 8 to 10 ounces of hop additions (two ounces dry hopped). I am thinking about using a lot of Chinook hops seeing as how they have a spicy and pine like flavor and aroma. On top of that some cinnamon in the primary boil, then some oak shavings to add another spicy note.

I love Chinook hops in an American IPA but never thought of them as being "pine like". Oak is ok..forget about the cinnamon.

8-10oz is a whole lot of hops, I just bought the ingredients for the DFH 90 min clone and it was only 5 oz total for about 90 IBUs. 8 oz of 5% for 30 mins gives you ~90 IBUs. I'm assuming we're talking about 5 gallon batches here, if you're brewing 10 gallons it's more reasonable but still really hoppy.

I am talking about a 5 gallon batch. I was initially shooting for 100+ IBUs, but still open to a wide idea options. I am also thinking about doing 2-3 dry hop additions at about 1oz each.

Sounds pretty hoppy but I'd say go for it. There are a decent number of clone recipes available here and in books so it should be pretty easy to look up an IPA that you like and see how it is hopped, or you can just make it up as you go along. No risk, no reward, right?

Just remember, if you make a 90+ IBU beer, it will need the body and backbone to support the hops or you end up with hop tea.

Shoot for an OG of 1.080+ for those levels of IBUs. I'd also suggest getting a few more brews under your belt before attempting anything like this, if anything just for the price of all those hops alone.

After seeking some good recipes and looking up hop profiles I am definitely going to cut down on the hop additions. Still shooting for a hoppy beer (it is an IPA after all). I am working out an ingredient list I will post up here in a moment for some critical input. I am still new to brewing but I wish to start moving on from these ingredient kits. :rockin:

Shoot for an OG of 1.080+ for those levels of IBUs. I'd also suggest getting a few more brews under your belt before attempting anything like this, if anything just for the price of all those hops alone.

I am also not about to just jump into this. Next week I am doing another batch (Scottish ale) and some sparkling cider that I just pulled up from this forum. :D

Yeah 100 IBU's is a bit aggressive for your first IPA. Have you had a 100IBU beer? They can be a bit much. I absolutely love hops, but when I run into over 90 IBU's I mostly stick to just one, then move to something a bit lighter.

You might try to hit one in the 65-75 IBU range for your first try at an IPA. You'll still get lots of hop flavor at that level. Chinooks are a nice hop, but can have a bit of a bite, which is fine if you like that. Magnum and Warrior are two strong bittering hops that give you a bit of a cleaner bittering IMO.

Find a commercial example that you really like than look up a clone for it. Most commonly available IPA's have decent clone info available.

Enjoy

Looking more and more into this... Hahaha.

I have developed a great idea of what I would like to get into eventually, but for now I think I will work on these next two projects, then I will do a Bells Two Hearted Ale Clone... After that I will work on an Oak IIPA.

Latest posts

Back