Moving Kegs To Room Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkman15

Reaction score
I'm in the midst of brewing today and I need to figure out what the best option is for me as I only have room in my kegerator/fermentation chamber for either a keg and CO2 or a carboy.

Currently, I have a beer kegged that has been sitting at 12psi for about 2 weeks at 40 degrees and I'm going to be pouring it this weekend at a competition.

The ambient temperature in my basement fluctuates from 66-70 degrees this time of year.

Can I move my keg and CO2 out of the fridge and not worry about carbonation issues for this weekend? Or should I just leave it alone and let this other one go at ambient temps since it's technically less important?

I was wondering the same thing when I traveled with a couple kegs to a family reunion back on Labor day weekend.
In summary, took them out of the kegorator, they warmed up on the drive. Iced them down when we arrived and poured just fine when cold. I had to keep telling myself what I'd read here several times, it's just a really large bottle of beer.

I'd pick up a big rope handle tub and do a water bath/swamp cooler If your ambient temp is less than 70 it should be easy to keep it down into your ideal ferment range.

256.jpg

as your keg warms up the internal pressure will increase. So if you want to continue carbonating the keg outside of your kegerator you'll need to ramp up your Co2 pressure.

there are a few Carbonation charts floating around the forum that show what pressure you'll need to increase your regulator to to maintain the desired volumes of Co2.

Does that make sense? I can explain further if not...

So If I take it out, do I keep it at the same psi?
If it's been at 40 degrees and 12 psi for 2 weeks, it should already be carbed. Disconnect the gas and take it out. It will hold it's carbonation without being connected until you're ready to serve.

Thanks, guys. Opted to keep it in there for the next couple of days. Put the fermenter in a swamp cooler for the time being. The keg I have in there is a bit wonky and I've had issues with gas leakage, so the fewer times I have to move it before Sat, the better.

Latest posts

Back