Moving hops and light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

instinct2

Reaction score
Out of frustration I've moved my hops today. But I feel like I have picked the best spot for my lot in the future. First season I grew the hops in containers in the front yard and this year planted in the back corner of my yard where I received partial sunlight (second picture, edge of trees and next to neighbors fence). My father in law has the same hops planted at same time into the ground, but with more direct sunlight all day and producing full blown hops and 15-20 feet high. The location I moved to is between our home and the neighbors with no trees. I've timed the sunlight and it directly hits the plants for 7 hours. My thought... Could I add a reflecting device (sheet of silver insulation) to lean against the retaining wall to give me a few more hours of direct light? Or will 7 hours be adequate next season?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1437159422.628752.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1437159612.603055.jpg

FWIW, I am getting really good growth on my first year plants which receive direct sunlight only between 9 am and 4 pm so it is possible to grow in only 7 hours of direct sunlight. My plants are very bushy with lots of cones and burrs and they have each grown to the top of my 17 foot teepee and some of them have kept growing beyond the top.

However, it is trees that are blocking the direct afternoon sunlight on my plants and not a building as appears to be the case at your house. What time were your photographs taken?

This is where I moved them too... Trees were blocking light until 4pm when it crested under the trees. Spot between the houses gets light from 9 to 4ish, so I figure it's prime light too. Has to be better than before.... I hope! :)

Latest posts

Back