MOving beer in a keg question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbulger

Reaction score
I have a beer in a secondary and a beer in the primary that i want to move about a 100 miles. If i put them both in kegs will they not get oxidized during the trip? What pressure should should i set it at if so?

It all depends on how good the seals on your keg are. If they are in good order you can purge the o2 from the keg by pressurising and releasing a couple of times, waiting 10 mins between each for the o2 and co2 to settle out.

Once you've done this you can pressurise as normal and the pressure in the keg should hold the seals shut for the trip. Make sure you have carbonated the beer properly before going, if you don't (depending on how cold it is) the co2 pressurising the keg could dissolve in to the beer (as per the shaking method of force carbing) and the pressure will drop so there isn't as much force behind the seals forcing them shut (although if they are in good order this shouldn't matter).

It's just 100 miles. If you can move the primary and secondary without letting air into them during the trip, you're fine. You're talking about 2 hours. Keep 'em out of direct sun, and avoid major temp. changes, and you've got it licked.

Back