Moved Corny = Cloudy Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teesquar

Reaction score
I know, you're saying, "Why sure it would." Thing is it was pouring clear before.

I gelatin fined the cold corny and had the usual few pour sludge removal. After that, alle ist klar. The keg is 4 weeks in the kegerator (slow carb & draw @ 10 psi, 35degrees F) and probably 3/4 full. I had to move it to the side, and back, about 10" to fish a new co2 line. Naturally, it got jostled a bit but nothing major.

Pulled a pint after a hot day mowing grass, and **slorp**, out comes the cloudy beer again. (no, I did not waste it ... was too thirsty and it tasted fine anyway)

Guess my question/observation is I thought after the gelatin fined it clear and I pulled the bottom sludge it would remain clear.

I have pulled another pint and it is looking about 50% clearer so I figure it will eventually re-clear. Just surprised there was still that much "gunk" still there.

Howdy! Ever finished a keg and upon opening it to clean it found that there was sludge at the bottom of it? Basically, there is a small space below where the output pulls beer where solids can collect and not get sucked up til a little agitation is introduced.

You could always consider fining in a secondary instead of the leg itself if you'd like to be able to move stuff around a little more confidently :)

The diptube in the corny will allow the first bit of beer to have some yeast sediment in it, but then the future pulls will be clear- UNLESS you move the corny as you've found.

If you feel that you have to move a keg, like to take it to a party, I like to jump the clear beer to a new keg. It's super easy. The key is to not move the original corny, and put a black QD on a length of beer line and then another black QD.

Put the first QD on the original keg, turn down the gas to about 5 psi, and then put the second QD on the "out" of the new keg. Pull the pressure relief valve on the receiving keg, and the beer will flow. Do it every minute or so, until you're done filling the second keg. If the beer is really clear, you can move that keg around alot and not stir up the sediment.

When you open the original keg, you can see that there is about 1/8 cup of sludge in it. That's the stuff that gets resuspended if you move the keg, and it'll settle back around the diptube.

Latest posts

Back