Move to secondary or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerBS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed an extract batch of Ferocious form Midwest 7 days ago. The instructions say to ferment in primary for 5-7 days and if using secondary(which I am), add hops to secondary and rack on top. I took a look this morning, planning on racking to secondary and here is what I found. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393601963.540811.jpg
I only have about 3 batches under my belt but I have always waited 2 weeks before racking to secondary. It looks to me like the fermentation hasn't completed itself yet.
Should I take a gravity reading to see where it's at?(I don't want to have to do it twice since that wastes valuable beer)
Give it another week to drop off the top?
Or
Follow the directions and rack to a secondary for the next week?
I use a secondary for clarity if that matters at all in this.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That looks like a pretty thick Kraesen layer. I'd give her another week before doing anything with it.
That 5-7 day recommendation is typical of older instructions. I'd ignore it and go with your practice of the 1st 3 batches.
Then whether you leave her alone for another week or two, or transfer to conditioning tank(trying to get away from the outdated term 'secondary fermenter') is up to your personal preferences.

When it's ready to rack, the surface will look like clear beer with maybe a few bubbles here and there. That picture has a ways to go, still way to much fermentation going on to mess with it.
Every beer is different and it still may not be ready to rack in a week.

Another, IMO better, option is to leave it in the bucket another week. Check to see if it's done fermenting and, if it is, dry hop it in the primary. No secondary needed.

Kit instructions like that are often based on outdated techniques that most knowledgable brewers no longer follow.

Back