Mountmellick Stout Kit... what to do with it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierhaus15

Reaction score
I have a few cans of Mountmellick Stout malt extract cans laying around and was wondering if they are good for brewing anything other than the kit?

I really don't want to follow their recipe and would much rather use the can in an extract brew with some specialty grains ect... Though I wasn't sure if this is possible as the kit seems to come pre-hopped and having roasted barley extract.

Anyone know of any good stout/porter recipes that could make use of the can?? I have plenty of DME/specialty grains/hops so if there is any recipe that you think is a must try, please tell.

Thanks for all your help!

I would sub DME for sugar in the kit. With the kit though your specialty grains are already in the malt extract, so adding more could possibly throw you off style. Same with the hops, however maybe a small addition for flavor and aroma would be ok.

Bummer... I was hoping for something a little more exciting than just kit beer with DME. I think I will try to jazz it up some. We'll see...

Thanks!

Look up the additions for a pumkin porter or pumpkin stout and do that...Get a couple cans of Libby's all natural canned pumpkin, and some spices and you're good to go for halloween or turkey day.

Or add anywhere from 1/2 to a whole pound of lactose and make a milk stout.

Or get some vanilla beans, soak them for a few days in bourbon, then in a week rack the stout to a secondary and dump the vanilla bourbon in...

Get some toasted oak chips and either steam them to add just the oak, or soak them in bourbon, and add them in secondary...

Or any of the above combinations....

Pumpkin stout... Sounds great! Though, will I have any problems brewing this in a 6.5 gallon carboy? All my pails are full atm.

Thanks!:D

Latest posts

Back