Mounting Electrics Inside Control Panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyNameIsPaul

Reaction score
I'm working on a RIMS build, and I have a Hoffman C8C12 Console box ($20 bucks on ebay, score!)

It does not have a backplate to mount things too, so I was curious as to how I'm gonna accomplish mounting the SSR/Heatsink and Terminal Blocks to the 'floor' of this box. Any recommendations? I've already purchased the parts, otherwise I'd be going DIN rail, so that options out.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I would make a back plate. Better than having a bunch of bolts coming out the back of your box.

I would make a back plate. Better than having a bunch of bolts coming out the back of your box.

Do most ppl just make the back plate and then drill/tap the holes to mount things? I'm a stickler for a clean looking install.

I sourced a perfect condition metal enclosure from a metal scrap yard my neighbor took me to when shopping for stainless steel scrap and same problem as you it didn't come with a back plate. I thought about making one but after giving it more thought the only thing that would mount to the plate (for me anyway) would be the terminal blocks and they are really thick and heavy duty so no problem there. The SSR and heat sink I mounted just like Kal's design on http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-1?page=6. I guess it really depends on your wiring diagram

MyNameIsPaul said:
I'm working on a RIMS build, and I have a Hoffman C8C12 Console box ($20 bucks on ebay, score!)

It does not have a backplate to mount things too, so I was curious as to how I'm gonna accomplish mounting the SSR/Heatsink and Terminal Blocks to the 'floor' of this box. Any recommendations? I've already purchased the parts, otherwise I'd be going DIN rail, so that options out.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Hah I just got one of those this week, was it from dalewatkoski by any chance? I'm in the same boat as you. But I'm definitely going to make a backplate. It was immensely helpful when building my 30A panel not to have to reach in and wire stuff, but to do it outside. Plus then nothing pokes through the bottom to scratch the table.

That enclosure will fit an auberins PID, switches, SSR, and a few contactors just fine. RIMS will work but not any multi PID/element setup.

I'm using this for a 2 or 3 gal eBIAB "pilot system" so I can experiment without having to do 5+ gallon batches on my 20G system. Plus something to build over the winter.

Hah I just got one of those this week, was it from dalewatkoski by any chance? I'm in the same boat as you. But I'm definitely going to make a backplate. It was immensely helpful when building my 30A panel not to have to reach in and wire stuff, but to do it outside. Plus then nothing pokes through the bottom to scratch the table.

That enclosure will fit an auberins PID, switches, SSR, and a few contactors just fine. RIMS will work but not any multi PID/element setup.

I'm using this for a 2 or 3 gal eBIAB "pilot system" so I can experiment without having to do 5+ gallon batches on my 20G system. Plus something to build over the winter.

That's the one!
Too funny. I actually did the 'make me an offer' thing for $20 and he took it. Not a bad deal! I've found an online shop to get a small piece of aluminum to make the backplate for $7 bucks as well.

I was hoping this box would be expandable to maybe another PID but it does look like it will be a tad tight if I go that route

12 AWG Aluminium is great for backplates. I used an old parking sign from the scrap yard.

Hey DCBW,
I ordered a front plate from Front Panel Express for this box, it's 7"x11". I'm going to be cutting out the top and replacing it with the panel. Have you cut into yours yet? It's eating my Dremel disks like crazy, it's a thick box!

Or you could get DIN mountable equipment, mount a few DIN rails, and be done with it. I had a backplate in mine, but ended up going the full DIN route, so everything is mounted on 3 sections of DIN rail. Each section has 3 screws, so a total of 9 holes in the backplate. Assuming you drilled 4 holes to mount your backpalte, that's not a whole lot more for the ease and simplicity of the DIN.

-Kevin

Thanks BNB, but I already purchased non-DIN stuff. If I ever build again or upgrade, it'll be to DIN equipment for sure. I like how it looks better. Simplicity is a big plus too!

I used a old cookie sheet drilled holes for for the studs and mounted the rest of the components on the sheet. cheap and easy

That's the one!
Too funny. I actually did the 'make me an offer' thing for $20 and he took it. Not a bad deal! I've found an online shop to get a small piece of aluminum to make the backplate for $7 bucks as well.

I was hoping this box would be expandable to maybe another PID but it does look like it will be a tad tight if I go that route

I've got a similar enclosure and I am going to try to put in two PIDs. Where'd you order the back plate from?

I've got a similar enclosure and I am going to try to put in two PIDs. Where'd you order the back plate from?

Sorry I'm just now seeing this. I made the backplate from a 10"x7" piece of .125" Aluminum I got from discountsteel.com. I think it was $7 bucks or so. I used some 1.5" long bolts with some spacers to keep it off the bottom, and screwed my components to it.

Here is a look at the outside of the enclosure.

SAM_3714.JPG

SAM_3715.JPG

Back