Mount Pleasant Brewing Company

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Mount Pleasant, Michigan

Went camping by Mt. P. for Labor Day weekend with the wife's family. Snuck out for a bit on Saturday to check out the new Mount Pleasant Brewing Company. They just opened the week before, and this weeken dis they Grand Opening.

In case you are familiar with the Mountain Town Station, Mount Pleasant Brewing Company is a bar and production plant that is separate from the Mountain Town Station restaurant and brewpub. Same owner, same beer, just another location (not at a railway station, like Mountain Town).

Anyway, I get there and it's me a 2 other guys watching Michigan trounce Western. They bartender gets me a beer menu, and notices my White Labs T-shirt and assumes I'm a homebrewer. I chat with him and find out he's done many batches since April, when he and his brother first try it. Mention maybe starting a club.

I order samples of the Raspberry Wheat, and it's ok, but I really dont' care much for fruit beers. I get a Brown ale that is passable, but not outstanding. I order a Blackberry Wheat and it's ok, but just not into the fruit stuff. Now, if you do like the fruit beers, you will probably really like these!

I then order an IPA. This guy says that he could wish they would change the IPA recipe, but I try it and it's not bad at all! Now I'm late getting back to the camp, so I taste the Hefe and decide to get a growler. I have some the next day, and it's pretty good at the start, but by the end of the glass I'm just not that into it. I'm thinking that is pretty much the way I am with those beers. They call it a Wheat, but it's more like a Hefe than the Am Wehat, with it's hints of clove and banana.

The bar itself is modern. They have an overhead door in the front of the bar, so they can open it up towards the street. There is tons of room in back for more equipment, or maybe a place to have homebrew meetings!! Also an upstairs and there is talk about turning that into a poker room or something.

There was nothing going on there that day. But when Corina showed up for her shift, and I was the only one there, they took me back to had a look around. Turns out Corina also works at Right Brian Brewing Company in Traverse City when she is not at school in Central. Sometimes on the weekends when she goes home she'll work up there. So she knows Russ and John up there and we have a chat about their beer.

So I had a good time and the beer is standard craft beer fare. I'm guessing that the fruit flavors are probably quite enjoyable if you like those. It's new and time will tell if they find a way to make the place stand out from the rest. They don't serve food yet, but are working on doing pizza, grinders stuff I think. Plus you can order in if you like. The bikers watching the game with us had pizza ordered in.

If you are in the area, it's def a place to check out. But if you want some good food too, try the Mountain Town station. They have real good eats and the same good beer. And if you are lucky, you might see the train roll in and deposit riders right through the bar and restaurant!

Back