Motorized Mill build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uSlackr

Gaughan Brewing... gone brewin'
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to build a version of the mill from this article and I'm having an issue with the drive mechanism. I have 1/2 nipple from the drive and a 3/8" shaft on the mill. No matter how tight I get the hose clamp as soon as grain hits the mill, it slips. I've considered grinding two flat spots in the mill shaft but I'm not convinced that will work.
20181102_184031497_iOS.jpg

Ideas welcome.

You could try cutting a V in the tubing so that you can tighten the clamp without having to compress as much of the tubing material. I would assume the reinforced tubing is providing quite a bit of resistance to the clamping force.

You could try cutting a V in the tubing so that you can tighten the clamp without having to compress as much of the tubing material. I would assume the reinforced tubing is providing quite a bit of resistance to the clamping force.
Thanks. It's not visible here, but I did that on the mill side. Seems as though the smooth shaft and vinyl tubing don't provide enough friction.

This is what you need. They are cheap can be found for around $10 a set. Lovejoy is the common manufacture brand but there are cheaper versions. I would sell you these that I'm not using but they are 1/2" and 5/8".. I think I paid $30 for all of them..
20180919_005053.jpeg

This is what you need. They are cheap can be found for around $10 a set. Lovejoy is the common manufacture brand but there are cheaper versions. I would sell you these that I'm not using but they are 1/2" and 5/8".. I think I paid $30 for all of them..View attachment 595910

Thanks. I’m not sure I know enough to buy one. Is it just the shaft size for the two ends? Any particular connector type? Just the basic one?

Last edited:
Back