Motorized grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtd57032

Reaction score
Im tired of using a drill and want to make brewing days more simple so I purchased a motor setup on AllAmericanAleWorks. For those who motorized your mills, have you had any issues with keyless shafts on your mill when you install the love joy couplings? My current mill shaft is keyless and I’m worried about just using a set screw on the flat part of the shaft. I’m willing to upgrade my mill with a keyed shaft if it truly is necessary. Anyone have an opinion?

I have a motorized mill with a love joy coupling and had no issues with a three roller mill set to “normal” gap size. If you want to turn your crush into flour for improved efficiency on a BIAB, you may start to see slipping on the set screw / flat, but I haven’t pushed my mill that hard.

I would try as-is - if it slips, you may also just drill a hole into the mill flat and run a longer set screw to transfer the torque directly through the screw.

If either the motor or mill shafts don't have any flats on them, take a file and make one. IIRC, that's what the instructions for the Monster Mill motor setup I purchased for my mill (also from Monster) said to do. I didn't need to since the mill had flats and the shaft was good to go into the coupler from the start (since it came in the same order, and I selected the correct item).

It's really nice to load up the grain hopper of your mill, place a catch bucket under it, and just flip a switch.

Back