Motorized ball valve sticking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuBrew

Reaction score
Going through dusting off my system and discovered or remembered I have a motorized stainless ball valve on the bottom of my HLT that won't open. I changed out the yoke last time I used the system 3 plus years ago. The motor works fine but it doesn't have enough power to open the valve.

I took the motor off and manually opened the valve, it pretty easy with a wrench but I think it's tighter than it should be.

Any suggestions on loosening this puppy up so I don't have to replace this sucker?

Is it a rebuildable valve? I know that I took mine apart recently for the first time in a while and realized I should do that everytime I sanitize. They can get pretty packed up inside with residual wort.

I haven't a clue. I built the system 4 years ago and only got to use it a couple times before my son was born and you know the rest of that story :) it's been collecting dust in the basement for over 3 years but I'm in a place now when I can start brewing occasionally again.

I was hoping I could get away with not tearing into it but looks like that's what's going to have to happen regardless of it I'm able to salvage the valve.

Let me clarify - is it rebuildable meaning: are there 4 bolts at the corners that hold it together? This style is mean to be regularly dismantled for cleaning.
If not, then most of your "typical" ball valves aren't. It could simply be that it got a bit warmer than it was rated for and the seals mooshed so they're creating more friction. I'm not sure where you'd go about finding replacement parts for a plain ball valve.

Nope, not that type unfortunately. Once I wrap my mind back around this monster I'm pretty sure it isn't an absolutely necessary component of the system but I'm sure I can find a replacement if I dig hard enough.

Even if it isn't a 3 piece ball valve (the ones with the 4 bolts on each corner) you should still be able to take it apart by unscrewing one of the ends of the valve. Try taking it apart and soaking in PBW or other cleaner for a day or 2 to get any dried up wort removed.

Also I have had 2 and 3 piece ball valves come from the manufacturer where they are very had to open and close manually. I was able to adjust the nut on the top of the valve where the handle or motor mounts and get it to open/close much easier after the adjustment.

Back