motorcycles, who here rides one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely like the shadow, nice work :mug:

Here is my old ride, damn kids

Here is my latest toy...

2932640-4.jpg

supermoto up those roads? Get some knobs on that *****!

'98 klr650 - one of the few bikes capable in 99% of the terrain anywhere in the world.
img_2009.jpg

'88 zx600 - for when I feel like going to jail.
cimg3560.jpg

'73 ts125 of which I have no pictures of, but damn it's fun to play around with. Smokes the 600 to about 30mph, but that's a 2-stoke for ya. Oh course the klr will smoke the ninja to about 40mph. Damn peaky i-4's.

I have a 79 Yamaha XS750 Triple. I've had it for 25 years. I keep saying that when it finally dies I'm going to buy a Hog. I don't see that happening anytime soon...........

My baby, a 2006 Honda 919 (bought new in April 08). It's the best of both worlds, fast and comfortable, and handles extremely well. I will admit the windshield is a joke, but it's sporty.:eek:

DSCN1790.jpg

Honda Goldwing 76 GL1000... its my newest project.. it will be ready to ride by spring!

main.php

Yeah, but flat black makes me stealthy!

I love the flat black. I initially painted mine flat black because I could not afford a real paint job, and duplicolor is only 4 bucks a can. So I have 8 bucks in my paint job, and I dont think I will ever change it. I get more comments on the paint than anything else.

My baby, a 2006 Honda 919 (bought new in April 08). It's the best of both worlds, fast and comfortable, and handles extremely well. I will admit the windshield is a joke, but it's sporty.:eek:

Thats a damn fine Bike- Thats the same reasons I bought my Suzuki SV1000s

Thats a damn fine Bike- Thats the same reasons I bought my Suzuki SV1000s

Thanks! I was actually minutes away from buying the SV1000 but the seating position was a bit to forward for my old body. I could have bought risers for $300, but I found the Honda the next day by accident. The Honda was cheaper, and didn't need bars. I would've liked to owned a v-twin, but oh well.

I still have a license, but haven't ridden in 5 years or so. My last ride was unique... it was a 58 Harley frame, converted to rigid, with a fairly fat rear tire, and the lowest seat height you ever saw. It was bright yellow, with a multi-colored flame job. When I bought it (as a basket case) it had a springer front end... but the first ride out on the bike that got wrecked when I hit a deep pothole (let me tell you, it is no fun sliding down the road with your eyeballs inches away from the pavement, just knowing all those hours painting your ride are being instantly wasted!). I replaced it with a narrow glide front end cause it was cheap and there when I needed it.
The unusual thing about the bike? It was originally put together in the late 70's when Harleys were at their least reliable, so it had been converted to Honda power! The motor was a 750 4 cylinder Honda.
I'd love to have another chopper one day, but teh chances get slimmer every day.

06 Buell Ulysses

That's a cool bike, I've always wondered how it would compare to a dl1000 or 950adv though. And I guess a 1200gs would be in the same class as well.

What are the wheel sizes and are they tube type? Also with the exhaust being right under the bike, have you had problems smacking things?

The Uly is on my shortlist. They have standard sportbike sized rubber, tubeless 17 inch wheels 180 out back, 120 up front. The air cooled-hydraulic valved engine & belt drive are pluses in my book. Plus it looks cool. I would be buying for the pavement.

The Uly, Strom, & GS are just tall streetbikes IMHO, I wouldn't want to take them down more than gravel roads. That said there are folks that do take them off the beaten path, you need to be a skilled rider to keep them upright. I've helped a few guys pick up their GS's on logging trails, it's not alot of fun (although we do laugh about that sort of stuff around the campfire). The KTM has a bit more dirt cred, but still a it's still a pig. Then again I like my gutless litte KLX250...

Heres a nice ride report from a big group ride I was on this summer. 3 & 1/2 days 1100 miles in the UP...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352617&highlight=cannontrek

I have an 04 Suzuki Intruder 800 (and my wife rides a 03 Honda Shadow 600.) Some day I'll move up to something a little bigger, get tired of fighting the wind sometimes on long rides, but for now it keeps the knees in the breeze.

My first chopper was a basket case Royal Enfield... and after spending months putting it together I ended up with a couple of short rides, and many many hours of pushing that POS. I imagine there's no contrast between that old thing and a new one, but just the same name would keep me from even trying one out.

I've only seen one Royal Enfield. The owner lived at the top of a hill in SF and said about 90% of the time she could get it started by riding it down the hill. If I remember correctly, the front brake was about the size of a mini-bagel.

2006 VTR1000 - Honda v-twin - red :D

It's my eighth bike (I think)...

I've been riding since I was 19 - I'm 36 now.

Does anyone have or have tried one of the new Royal Enfields?

I wasn't going to be snotty about it but since others have said this is a bad bike I just have to know why you want one? I haven't seen or heard of them but after checking out their website I was unimpressed. You know you could buy an old Honda and get it way cheaper and you would be a lot happier.

I wasn't going to be snotty about it but since others have said this is a bad bike I just have to know why you want one? I haven't seen or heard of them but after checking out their website I was unimpressed. You know you could buy an old Honda and get it way cheaper and you would be a lot happier.

Oh I have no intention of buying one. I think they are cool looking. An old-timer friend of mine was looking at them.

I have my sights set on something that is a little more comfortable road machine than my on/off.

That's a cool bike, I've always wondered how it would compare to a dl1000 or 950adv though. And I guess a 1200gs would be in the same class as well.

What are the wheel sizes and are they tube type? Also with the exhaust being right under the bike, have you had problems smacking things?

Somecallmetim got the wheel sizes and specs right.

In my opinion, based on fact sheets, some good old bench racing, the Uly'd eat the Strom's lunch. The KTM I don't know enough about to make a statement about. I believe I did read that the engine specs were close. Also, the Triumph Tiger is pretty damn sweet, and makes roughly the same amount of power.

As far as the muffler goes, the Uly has a high ground clearance. Not a problem whatsoever. Even the "small" Buells in the lineup have the mufflers underneath. I haven't seen any owners on the boards complaining of any issues with that. Plus the muffler is engineered to be a jacking point. It's pretty strong. If you bottom a Uly out...you are not a sane rider! :D

Oh I have no intention of buying one. I think they are cool looking. An old-timer friend of mine was looking at them.

I have my sights set on something that is a little more comfortable road machine than my on/off.

Fair enough they do look cool, I'm always hesitant with a bike I'm not sure I could readily get parts for however.

Mine.....

Although I pussed out this year. I rode all winter last year, but not doin that again. Once the morning temps get back above 45 Ill get back on it for my commute

Current_0011.jpg

The Uly is on my shortlist. They have standard sportbike sized rubber, tubeless 17 inch wheels 180 out back, 120 up front. The air cooled-hydraulic valved engine & belt drive are pluses in my book. Plus it looks cool. I would be buying for the pavement.

The Uly, Strom, & GS are just tall streetbikes IMHO, I wouldn't want to take them down more than gravel roads. That said there are folks that do take them off the beaten path, you need to be a skilled rider to keep them upright. I've helped a few guys pick up their GS's on logging trails, it's not alot of fun (although we do laugh about that sort of stuff around the campfire). The KTM has a bit more dirt cred, but still a it's still a pig. Then again I like my gutless litte KLX250...

Heres a nice ride report from a big group ride I was on this summer. 3 & 1/2 days 1100 miles in the UP...

CannonTrek III - 1100 Mile DS, 3 1/2 Days, 15 Start, 8 Finish - ADVrider

I don't know a ktm owner that isn't a damn good rider. I usually end up following their tail lights all day. In fact I rode with a guy on a 950 the other day and I was playing hell to keep up on my 650. All dirt and some gravel.

Somecallmetim got the wheel sizes and specs right.

In my opinion, based on fact sheets, some good old bench racing, the Uly'd eat the Strom's lunch. The KTM I don't know enough about to make a statement about. I believe I did read that the engine specs were close. Also, the Triumph Tiger is pretty damn sweet, and makes roughly the same amount of power.

As far as the muffler goes, the Uly has a high ground clearance. Not a problem whatsoever. Even the "small" Buells in the lineup have the mufflers underneath. I haven't seen any owners on the boards complaining of any issues with that. Plus the muffler is engineered to be a jacking point. It's pretty strong. If you bottom a Uly out...you are not a sane rider! :D

Never ridden with a dirt rider eh? :rockin:
I've eaten a lot of rocks with the bash plate on my klr, and I would be that has more clearance than a uly. The small front tire is a bit of a downfall for the uly in my book. When I get a dual sport, I need to to be able to do everything but go 150mph.

For all around the ktm is much better than the strom, but quite a bit more $$$ to. But I'm more biased towards seeing all of the country/world, not just what is next to the roads.

74 R60/6 BMW
02 1100 vee star yamaha..waiting a clutch/starter repair
04 R1150 BMW

that vee star is a great engine with a poor starter design:(

GD

I have been riding a just shy of a decade now I guess. A little over 100,000 miles on the road so far. I average about 10,000 miles a year since I ride year round. It is pretty easy to get the miles in when you do a couple Iron Butt rides a year.

Going to take the courses to become a licensed MSF instructor next month. That should be fun and interesting. Looking forward to helping some new riders get a safe and educational start to their motorcycling life.

Daily ride:
1998 Honda VFR800Fi in street ride trim
282547_2323351684462_1401602_n.jpg

and in long distance tour ride trim.
310312_2416970904884_2129371092_n.jpg

Former now retired street ride:
1996 Suzuki Bandit GSF600S
2256_1098092293743_3242_n.jpg

Classic bikes and Project bikes:

1982 Honda CX500 Custom
2256_1098089613676_5358_n.jpg

1973 Honda CB350 - Currently disassembled Vintage Race bike. I need to stop building new brewing gear so I can work on and race this again.

1972 Honda CB450 - Also currently disassembled waiting for a build, thinking street tracker on this one.
25185_1422239637224_715248_n.jpg

I MISS my bike, I had a Yammy Fazer in Belgium, left it there I moved back to Canada. Haven't picked up a new one since being back, no time plus wife isn't working since she's home with the new baby so I'm trying to keep expenses low. Used to take that puppy for a spin on the Ring road around Brussels, zoooooom!

Getting to work and back was a pinch because I could white line...woohoo!

Okay. Motorcycle helmets. Go.

I've had a KBC and a Nolan.

The KBC was okay. It got to be kinda noisy and the padding got mashed down. The clear visor also started making things look kinda rainbow oil spill sheeny and wavy. I had it 3 years and wore it a lot. Usually while motorcycling. It was time to get a new one. I got a Nolan.

The Nolan N90 was great until the tinted visor started scratching inside the helmet. It's never been dropped. I don't know what happened. It's gotten worse and the clear visor is worn where the anti-fog shield was. I took it off because it wasn't really doing anything anyway. It's getting noisy as well. All that and at near 3 years old, it's time to replace it too.

I'm looking for DOT, modular (flip up face), integrated tinted visor with clear visor, removable padding and good ventilation that can be closed off in cold weather. A one piece full face would work if I could take it off and on without jacking up my glasses. That was a problem with every full face I tried on, and I wear small wire rim flex frames. Under $400 would be nice too. Not black. Prefer not Chinese, not for a helmet. Japanese, Korean, German and Italian is okay. I think the only USA helmets are Seer, and those are motorcycle cop style. No face protection. Simpson is car racing only, I think.

This sounds like a familiar post :drunk:

Back