motor coupling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fractional

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so ive been wanting to motorize my knock off corona mill for a bit. ( tired of doing it all by hand, wife wont help any more)

i was recently at a garage sale and picked up a dayton gear motor that was 50 rpm, 45 lbs torque 1/15 hp all wired up with a switch and a pot. and it worked! now my question is how do i hook up the 1/2 inch shaft of the motor to the shaft of the mill..

i was thinking put the bolt in the mill like every one that uses a drill then a 5/16 socket and a flex extender. but then im stumped as to how to get the extender and the shaft to mesh up so i can get it to turn.

any thoughts?

thanks

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=213438&stc=1&d=1406321434

10559935_10152258977153461_445115179094501406_n.jpg

I was going to suggest Lovejoy couplings, but nowadays they are called spider couplings...

Actually the Spider is the part that fits between the two Lovejoys. It is flexible material that prevent binding.
My question to the OP is that the motor speed seems very slow. I have a reduction geared Power Grindef that runs at 185 RPM which I'm told is in the ideal range.
Pix below:
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406326943.370341.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1406326960.809487.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

govner its a corona knock off im not looking to get it going super fast. i think 50 rpm would be about perfect. so that way i don't destroy the mill. i had a vacuum motor before and i would have to do some major down steping just to get it at 100. and there is no way i turn it at 100 rpms just cranking it by hand.... any way im not in a hurry to get the grain ground. (the motor was 8 bucks!)

stealth THANKS! thats exactly what i needed!

govner its a corona knock off im not looking to get it going super fast. i think 50 rpm would be about perfect. so that way i don't destroy the mill. i had a vacuum motor before and i would have to do some major down steping just to get it at 100. and there is no way i turn it at 100 rpms just cranking it by hand.... any way im not in a hurry to get the grain ground. (the motor was 8 bucks!)

stealth THANKS! thats exactly what i needed!

100rpm is less than 2 turns per second - it is pretty slow!
My concern would be the 1/15 HP since most people recommend at least 1/3 if not 1/2 HP. But you are decreasing the speed... but still if you take a straight proportional relationship between torque, speed and power you would expect at least needing 1/8 - 1/12HP. This is based on the recommendations for a roller mill so a corona might be ok (or may be even worse).
The good thing is once you buy the lovejoy/spider coupling if you do find out the motor is underpowered all you are out is the cost of the motor ($8) plus possibly 1x lovejoy hub - since you still need the other hub on the mill side and the rubber spider no matter what motor is driving it :D

matt exactly!. if it dosent work found 1/2 hp motors at the homes for habate restore there was 4 sitting there on the shelves for 50 buck each. so we will find out on monday. when i get the couplings. ill grind a lbs of 2 row i have left over and see if it will work.

Latest posts

Back