Most you’ve ever dry hopped with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people say too much dry hopping can cause a grassiness (maybe dry hopping too long as well) and others say it can lead to oxidation issues. I'm not a firm believer but I've done as much as 10 oz of dry hop to 6 gallons of beer (in a 5 day and 3 day dose) and had no problems at all and the aroma and flavor was very good.

Are there any firsthand accounts of grassiness? Or of oxidation?

Is it another brewing boogeyman which, when the curtain is lifted, is not even there?

I’m at 8.5oz dry hops in my current 5gal IPA, thinking of throwing in 2more for good measure

I think the biggest thing is the diminishing returns. You could, theoretically, dump 50oz in a 5 gallon batch but I doubt it would really impart more aroma than 6oz-8oz.

12oz definitely imparts more aroma and flavor than 6oz. 50oz would probably not taste good.

I went heavy on the hops a few times. I got a sort of bitter astringent raw hop flavor I didn't like. I've brought my hops down to 2 or 3 oz in 5 gallons and like the result

I went heavy on the hops a few times. I got a sort of bitter astringent raw hop flavor I didn't like. I've brought my hops down to 2 or 3 oz in 5 gallons and like the result

Big dry hops need some age. Your dry hop rate can safely be consumed 36 hours after dry hopping.

Personal preference. I didnt like the flavor of my heavy dry hopped batches

I dry hopped an IPA with 12.5 oz and another one with 10 oz hops and I did not enjoy the flavours and aromas. The ones dry hopped with 6-8 oz were far better tasting and I actually got some vegetal/grassy notes, I did not like at all.

Cryohops are a new thing and great for dry hopping. They're twice as concentrated hop pellets, but without all the vegetative matter (allegedly) that can cause grassiness. So you can use half as many to get the same kick, which also means less trub. Still not a ton of hop varieties in this form yet but the most common ones are there.

I did a 3lb. flameout addition once but I've never dryhopped more than 4 ounces. 10 years ago a 4 ounce dryhop would have been huge for any style but these days I've seen people doubling that.

I used 7 oz in a my last 3 gallon batch (Citra, Ekuanot, Simcoe) and it was my most flavorful and aromatic by far. No grassyness, no O2 issues.

Cool thanks for the info everyone.. I just did a hazy IPA with nothing but mash hops (not sure if they really do much but they sure smelled great), flameout hops, and dry hops. Overall I think I used about 19oz of hops including the dry hops...

8.5oz dry hop is where I stopped although I was tempted to throw in more. Aroma is amazing and the taste is delicious!! But while the aroma profile is great I really want it to fill a room which it definitely does not, I might look into cryo hops next time!! And also perhaps use something more pungent like Columbus hops... Cheers

I brew a lot of big IPA's, Pliny's, Double Jack's, etc. Rarely go over 8 oz, though often toss 2 oz in the keg. From experience there is not much to be gained by adding more. Different strokes...

Latest posts

Back