Most violent fermentation to date!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beersteiner2345

Reaction score
Man, Bell's yeast is insane!!!!!!

Two Hearted Clone is fermenting right now... pitched yeast that I collected from Bell's bottles and built a big starter with (stepped up 4 times to 1 liter) last night and it is REALLY going. I have the 5 gallons in a 7 gallon bucket. Never had kruasen hit the lid on this big bucket (I have on the smaller buckets), but it just clogged the airlock. Fortunately I heard the thermometer I had balanced on the lid fall off from the bubble due to pressure build up. I bet you the lid was about 5 minutes from blowing!

Replaced airlock with blow off tube, and when I pulled the airlock I got sprayed! lol I tried pushing the lid down to get the airlock to release but it was too clogged.

VERY excited about this batch! :rockin::rockin::rockin:

After placing the blowoff tube in, I heard it start it's constant stream of bubbles within 30 seconds! Temp is at 60 degrees in the Son of Fermentation Chiller. (This is my first batch with this too).

Gonna be good!!!!

Not sure how to photograph it to show what it's doing... but I'll give it a whirl. Already cleaned the spray off me, my ceiling (first time I ever mopped a ceiling), and the airlock is already cleaned and put up...

Since it's in a bucket you can't see the crazy action...

Will try to get the cup that the blowoff tube is going to... or maybe a sound clip of the tube. It's really crazy.

Which clone recipe did you use (if you don't mind directing me with a link?) and which Bells beer did you harvest the yeast from?

I love Two Hearted Ale, it's been MIA in my local stores lately, and I've been wanting to brew a clone for sure. It's a fantastic beer.

I used Two Hearted Ale os the source for the yeast too. But I have heard the yeast in the Amber is the same strain...

I made my own extract plus specialty grains recipe for it... see below:

8 oz. Vienna
8 oz. Cara-Pils
8 oz. 20L Crystal

40 minutes at 157 degrees.

7.5 lbs light DME

ALL Centennial hops (7.7% AA)
2.0 oz. - 65 minutes
2.0 oz - 15 minutes
1.5 oz - 5 minutes
1.5 oz. 1 minute

Used the Bell's yeast and will also dry hop with 1 oz centennial (11.4% AA) for a week in secondary. Fermenting at 60 degrees.

This is good for an OG of 1.070, hopefully about 7.5% abv, 53 IBU, and about 8.7 SRM on the color.

Still bubblin away... about once every 2-3 seconds now...

Chugged hard core for 3 days, been like this for 3 now too...

I had the same problem when I fermented my 1st 2 Hearted ale batch, although I didn't harvest the yeast from the Bell's bottles. The thing went super crazy and I just caught it in time from blowing up! Cleaned up the clogged airlock and she immediately started up again with wild percolating. I pulled my first pint from it 2 days ago and it turned out great.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back