Most sanitary way to test beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayden512

Reaction score
Hey all, just had a quick question on how everyone gets a sample for the hydrometer out of their fermenter.

Currently I'm using a bucket for my fermenter. I use a turkey baster that I soak in starsan to extract my beer. I use the bowl I sanitized my baster in to pop my airlock and set it in there. I then just pop my lid, extract beer, and then cap it back on.

I feel like this is up to par with little risk of infection but doing this 3 days in a row to see if fermentation scares me.

Thoughts?

I sanitize a 2-3 foot 1/4" piece of tubing, then take out the airlock and snake the tube down into the beer. I then suck the tube (quit snickering) and siphon a bit out into the cylinder for the sample. With this method the lid never comes off.

Just make sure that the tubing is either (a) straight when it goes in the bucket, or (b) the curve is placed so it goes against the bucket and straightens as it goes in. If not, the tubing will just loop above the beer and back against the lid, which is no bueno.

A small section of ss tubing screwed to the end of a 100 cc syringe straight through the airlock.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XN9FXS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J26U3R8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

2015-07-16 23.33.30.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I take a sample of wort as I'm filling my carboy, cool it to the correct temperature for my hydrometer's calibration and take an original gravity reading. After that, I leave everything alone until I see signs of fermentation subsiding. At that point, as I am racking to secondary, I will take another hydrometer reading to see what the gravity has dropped to. After a week or so in secondary, prior to bottling, I will take a final gravity reading and use it to calculate ABV. There's really no point in opening your bucket 3 days in a row during the initial fermentation to take a gravity reading. Once the beer is in the fermenter and bubbling away, you want to muck about in it as little as possible. :mug:

Dude I spray relatively fresh StarSan around the lid connection, wait a minute or 2, pop the top off, grab a sample with a sanitized baster, spray the lid real good, seal it back up and never had an issue

A small section of ss tubing screwed to the end of a 100 cc syringe straight through the airlock.

^^^this. You can also use a piece of sanitized plastic tubing and slip it over the end of the syringe. A full (100cc) syringe is the perfect amount for your hydro sitting in the storage case. Never had a sample go to waste, if you know what I mean.

A full (100cc) syringe is the perfect amount for your hydro sitting in the storage case.

As a nurse, the idea of using a syringe screams awesomeness. However, I feel so cheated by this and a few other similar posts on the forum: my hydrometer came in a two-piece, square-cross-sectioned case that won't work for sampling. The best I have ATM is the sampling tube/base that came in my original homebrew kit, which needs 8 ounces of goodness wasted (well, sort of at least) for each test. It's particularly annoying when dealing with smaller batches.

Anybody have any leads on particularly skinny sampling tubes/ graduated cylinders?

ETA: I guess I could just spend 13 bucks. Seems silly to buy the hydrometer just for the case but...

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrometer-Must-have-Winemaking-Easy-read/dp/B00GYIB0Y2/ref=pd_sim_328_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=02GA7RYMJSWWGW145S0P

As a nurse, the idea of using a syringe screams awesomeness. However, I feel so cheated by this and a few other similar posts on the forum: my hydrometer came in a two-piece, square-cross-sectioned case that won't work for sampling. The best I have ATM is the sampling tube/base that came in my original homebrew kit, which needs 8 ounces of goodness wasted (well, sort of at least) for each test. It's particularly annoying when dealing with smaller batches.

Anybody have any leads on particularly skinny sampling tubes/ graduated cylinders?

ETA: I guess I could just spend 13 bucks. Seems silly to buy the hydrometer just for the case but...

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrometer-Must-have-Winemaking-Easy-read/dp/B00GYIB0Y2/ref=pd_sim_328_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=02GA7RYMJSWWGW145S0P

I ordered the skinniest grad. cylinder I could find that will stand on its own, but it was still bigger than necessary for an SG sample. Coincidently, it works great for holding the plastic storage case for my hydrometer, which has a round bottom and will not stand by itself.

I sanitize a 2-3 foot 1/4" piece of tubing, then take out the airlock and snake the tube down into the beer. I then suck the tube (quit snickering) and siphon a bit out into the cylinder for the sample. With this method the lid never comes off.

Just make sure that the tubing is either (a) straight when it goes in the bucket, or (b) the curve is placed so it goes against the bucket and straightens as it goes in. If not, the tubing will just loop above the beer and back against the lid, which is no bueno.

That's a great way and I've been using the same technique for a few years. Cheap and cheerful and seems the least intrusive to the fermentor. The syringe with PVC tubing or SS tube is a great alternative, but needs some extra, specialized equipment.

Lifting the lid is a no-no in my book, until ready to rack to secondary (rarely needed) or package (bottle or keg). And when I do, I spray and mop Starsan around the rim area with a small cloth until I'm sure it's clean and sanitized to my standards.

I always have a few PVC tubes (e.g., the skinny 1/4" and a 3/8" for regular racking) soaking in a bucket with Starsan, so they are ready to go, and always sanitized.

I also use the skinny 1/4" one to rack "air free" into a keg that's been pre-purged with CO2. I snake it through the gas or liquid threaded stub after removing the post and dip tube. Keep the PRV open to vent.

I have spigots on all my buckets. Just drain enough out for sample and bam Bobs your uncle. It does suck a little star san in through the air lock, but better than having to open the bucket.

Above method with the skinny tube is for a hydrometer gravity reading and a decent taste sample. I have one of those plastic hydrometer jars, and takes about 200 ml (6-7 oz).

For routine gravity testing I just take a drop out with a long thermometer stem and use a refractometer and a conversion calculator (Brewer's Friend).

.... for each test. ....

I test using a refractometer (very small sample) for all but the last measurement using a hydrometer after I am sure the fermentation is complete. With beers that I make consistently a final hydrometer is usually not necessary as the fermentation always (mostly) finishes the same so a °brix measurement is sufficient.

Straws!

I had a box of 500 straws (I think they were a few bucks) and tried them a sample sticks.
Put you your finger over one end, dip a inch below the surface, remove and replace finger, move to refractometer and remove finger. Discard.

If the level in a carboy is lower I just slide two straws together.

They are dispensed one at a time from the box and I am assuming they are clean and safe to use as is.

(Trouble is I forget to drop them in the garbage so sometimes end up with straws stuck to everything)

Tom

I use a three-piece sample thief that came with the Brewer's Best starter kit I got when I first started brewing (this past October). Seems to be doing OK so far.

large-myLHBS-306.jpg

Take it apart and fill/spray with StarSan, then put it back together; dip it in the fermenter, suck the sample through the hole in the top, and deposit in the hydrometer test flask. I do that 1.5 times and I have my 8 oz or so that I need for my hydrometer test. I then take it apart and either wash it immediately by hand or pop it in the dishwasher.

I recognize that the process - both in practice and in description - has a bit of a phallic connotation, but I'm comfortable in my manhood.

suck the sample through the hole in the top

I haven't used one of these in a while but I do not think you are supposed to suck through the top, just place your finger over the hole!! Shake if you need to to get a bigger sample. Putting your mouth on anything just screams contamination to me!

I haven't used one of these in a while but I do not think you are supposed to suck through the top, just place your finger over the hole!! Shake if you need to to get a bigger sample. Putting your mouth on anything just screams contamination to me!

That's what I used to do, but it was inefficient. I now do the sucking thing and it works just fine! I don't put any spit into the fermenter or anything, and no part of the thief that gets saliva on it touches any part of the fermenter or wort, so all's good!

Hey all, just had a quick question on how everyone gets a sample for the hydrometer out of their fermenter.

Currently I'm using a bucket for my fermenter. I use a turkey baster that I soak in starsan to extract my beer. I use the bowl I sanitized my baster in to pop my airlock and set it in there. I then just pop my lid, extract beer, and then cap it back on.

I feel like this is up to par with little risk of infection but doing this 3 days in a row to see if fermentation scares me.

Thoughts?

I use a party faucet on my corny or the valve on my bucket, depending which I am using at the time. I just make sure to not pull any air through the blubber when pulling a sample from the bucket.

I know I'll be labeled a heretic, but here I go. Sanitize my hydro with starsan, pop open the lid, (gently) put in the hydrometer in, take the reading, remove hydro and replace my lid. No infections yet (about 375 gallons so far). YMMV

I know I'll be labeled a heretic, but here I go. Sanitize my hydro with starsan, pop open the lid, (gently) put in the hydrometer in, take the reading, remove hydro and replace my lid. No infections yet (about 375 gallons so far). YMMV

I would never be able to read the hydrometer that way - poor vision. But I see nothing wrong with putting the hydrometer in the fermenter.

I use a sanitized measuring cup to get the sample. Very simple.

Exactly the way I do it. Simple and no issues so far.

I would not assume that a straw without an individual wrapper was sanitary

With all due respect, if I was making insulin I would feel the same. However, I am dipping about a square cm of glossy plastic safe for food products from a covered box in for about a second.

The first 100 times I did it I was anxious, the second 100 I was worried, the next 100 concerned, a 100 more and I would still give it a second thought. Now I feel it might actually become part of my process.

Tom

I ferment in a bucket.
And have a 5 gallon bucket of Star San that I replace every 6 months.
I drop the hydrometer in the starsan, and a minute later I put the hydrometer in the beer.
I have a wine thief but no longer use it.

I've got a wine thief and it does what it's supposed to do, but I find it a bit messy. I'm only 2 batches in so maybe I just need to hone my technique, but every sample I've pulled with this device so far has resulted in a bunch of dripping inside the chamber (fridge) and all over the floor at my feet before I'm able to dump the sample into the hydrometer cylinder.

I really like that syringe-through-the-airlock-port idea. Not only does it look cleaner, but taking off the fermenter lid makes me nervous.

I've got a wine thief and it does what it's supposed to do, but I find it a bit messy. I'm only 2 batches in so maybe I just need to hone my technique, but every sample I've pulled with this device so far has resulted in a bunch of dripping inside the chamber (fridge) and all over the floor at my feet before I'm able to dump the sample into the hydrometer cylinder.

I really like that syringe-through-the-airlock-port idea. Not only does it look cleaner, but taking off the fermenter lid makes me nervous.

If you are using a bucket, I would just sanitize a measuring cup, It will be faster.
On your wine thief, it might be defective, or dumb question:you are plugging the top hole with your finger right? It shouldn't leak more than a drop or 2.
I usually hold the thief in for a couple of seconds to fill up (hole unplugged). Then plug the hole and fill the hydro tube. Repeat 2-3 times until full.

I often take my OG sample using my refractometer then never take another one.......

You keg, right?

I keg now, but have bottled a few without taking a final gravity sample. I do this only if I have made a starter or re-hydrated dry yeast. Have gotten good active fermentation quickly and didn't have any reason to think it had stalled. I had only one overcarbed batch and that one I did take a final gravity reading.

Exactly the way I do it. Simple and no issues so far.

I ferment in a bucket.
And have a 5 gallon bucket of Star San that I replace every 6 months.
I drop the hydrometer in the starsan, and a minute later I put the hydrometer in the beer.
I have a wine thief but no longer use it.

This is the method I use, never had an infection in hundreds of gallons brewed. People have told me that that is the worst way to do it because it's the most high risk way. I simply answer back, So you are telling me that sticking something plastic (tubing, thief etc.) that could have tiny scratches where an infection waiting to happen could be hiding is safer?

I just pull a sample as I am transferring to the kegs. Ill transfer about half way, clamp the tubing, pour about a cup into a pyrex dish, then resume filling the keg. All beers have been attenuated fully every time. I must be one lucky son of a....

I'm planning to take a reading tonight to see where things are at (beer has been fermenting for 4 weeks). My beer is fermenting in a bucket and the whole take the lid off drop in the sanitized hydrometer etc seems like the best bet.

My only concern is that my apartment always has windows open and an exhaust fan running. I can of course close those windows and let things settle, but, are there any other precautions I can take? I'm planning to wipe down all the surfaces where I'll be working with sanitizer as well as the bucket lid itself. Hopefully that will help minimize the risk.

-- Nathan

Back