Most overrated high priced beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dale's Pale Ale. Bought a case and drank half of one can. Nasty, nasty stuff. I tried to give it to my dad and my father-in-law, but neither would take it. I literally couldn't give it away. Yuck.

Hahaha! I saw this thread and thought "fat tire!" I really like some of their other beers, but that one just doesn't do it for me. There is a sweet funk to it that I cannot place my finger on. I try it again every now and again... one is OK but I cant have more then that.

generally anything from dogfish head. I do enjoy their Festina Peche but that is honestly about it. I really respect what they do for the industry but all of their beers taste sweet and under attenuated to me.

fat tire may be a quality brew, but the insane amount of hype it gets almost automatically makes it overrated. a caviar milkshake couldn't get as much blind adulation
Agree with others here, I don't get the attraction for FT. Caviar Milkshake... classic line cracks me up yet I'd probably try it! :D

For me, over-rated doesn't mean do I like it or not. It means what beer is getting credit beyond it's quality. I like Guinness, but I would agree that it is over-rated.
Guinness = not bad - easy quaffer for me, but I don't think it's a craft bier at all!!! Isn't Guinness 2nd only to Budweiser in worldwide sales? If not I know it's high up the ladder.

Sam Adams beers, they are all so bland and blah, might as well be drinking BMC.
After I first got into craft bier a few years back I too found SA bier to be somewhat lacking, or at least many of them particularly Boston Lager & never have cared for their brown... AT ALL! But I'm coming back around to them. As my pallet has developed I now get nice nuances etc. from several of their brews, even Boston Lager is quite good these days. My fav. SA brews in order. (non imperial/special) Pale Ale, Black Lager (when fresh, I've had some real nasty bottles of it), Noble Pils, & Scotch Ale

I would offer up a few biers that for me haven't stood up to their hype/reputation.
Yeti - regular yeti, the oaked expresso version is great, reg yeti not so much
Anchor Steam - Tried it at least 6 times, never had a good experience, yuck!
Abita Strawberry Harvest - A bit regional so many won't know it. People look forward to this seasonal release where as I hate it's seasonal release as it takes up space on the shelf that would be better used by most anything else... anything but Abita Strawberry Harvest!

Schlante,
Phillip

I'm going to omit BMC because its not relevant to any discussion. Heineken, Stella...both very disappointing if that is the best you got. If you are referring to mass produced alleged micro brew beer...I am going to go with Pyramid.

That's hilarious. Before I opened the thread I thought to myself "Fat Tire. I just don't get why people love that beer so much."

I though the same exact thing. Im not saying I wont drink it given the choice between that and BMC, but its second to last to those. I dont get what the hype is about.

Heineken
Fosters
Killians
Most Sam Adams brews
Anything by Magic Hat
Budweiser American Ale
Shock Top
Leinenkugel Original

BTW... in the realm of cheap-ass swill, Strohs is severely underrated.

And why are people hating on Fat Tire? It's certainly not worth the price you pay for it, but it's good. Their winter beer (2 below, maybe) was really good, I think.

Summit EPA

Good beer, I like it and all.

BUT, I live less then a mile from the brewery and every bar near me charges import prices for it. Go to the bar and all domestic taps should be $2, not Summit, it appearently is not domestic, even though there is not a beer that is brewed closer to the bar then Summit.

Most of what comes in the Sam Adams mix pack. To me they all have the same sweet finish at the end. (Does not include the winter pack, I like that one except for whatever they throw in the 6th spot to fill up room this year)

Fat Tire was so hyped, I was expecting one of the best beers I had ever drank. After drinking my first one last night I don't understand how the hype ever got started.

Fat Tire was so hyped, I was expecting one of the best beers I had ever drank. After drinking my first one last night I don't understand how the hype ever got started.

I would let you know but every time I go into Ruby their menu says they have it, but when I ask they always say they "just ran out" so there is either BS here or someone loves it.

Shame on you for even HINTING that Fat Tire is overrated. :mad: It's very refreshing, with a nice bread and hop nose, slight citrus taste, with a hint of esters to finish. It's one of the better beers out there.

Fat tire is terrible. Citrus taste?

For me it is Yuengling, Pyramid, Magic Hat, Samuel Smith and Anchor Steam. Then any beer brewed by a BMC company that poses as a microbrewery. I think Sierra Nevada is a bit over rated as well, mainly their IPA.

For me it is Yuengling, Pyramid, Magic Hat, Samuel Smith, Anchor Steam, any beer brewed by a BMC company that poses as a microbrewery. I think Sierra Nevada is a bit over rated as well, mainly their IPA.

Anchor is produced by a BMC company? Are you ****ing kidding me? Do you even know what you're saying?

No that was not suppose to read like that, sorry. But they did just recently sell the company to a investing firm, I believe.

I'm a big fan of Newcastle but the price of it at certain places.... I go to school in the UP where a 6 pack of Newcastle cost about 12 bucks with deposit where down in metro Detroit, I found it for 11.99 a 12 pack.

I feel fortunate that I live above the Keweenaw Brewing Company where they offer their beers for 2.50 a pint. Quite tasty.

No that was not suppose to read like that, sorry. But they did just recently sell the company to a investing firm, I believe.

Well, technically yes, but the investing firm is big in the craft brewery game. They own a minority stake in Brew Dog as well and have been in the alcohol game a long time. And really, the "firm" is headed up by two guys who should have the best interest of the brewery at heart. If they **** it up, that will be sad, but it isn't like it is owned by a big megacorp. There's nothing fake about Anchor. They were pioneers in the industry, and continue to make good products.

Heineken
Fosters
Killians

I do like Molson Canadian and is pretty cheap. However, I believe Molson does brew Fosters Lager (Australian for, I mean, Canadian for Beer)
Plus, Fosters is not really that popular in Australia:confused:

Anything by Dogfish Head?

LOL!! Not every brewer's experiment warrants a $9.99 price tag.

The 90 minute IPA is "okay" but definitely not worth the price tag (nor is it something I would want to drink more than once in a great while).

Allagash makes some very good beer, but some of their Tribute and cellared brews are fetching a price tag near $20 a bottle. I'm just not sure they're worth that high a price (it's not like they had to ship the stuff here from Belgium).

And whoever said "Magic Hat" .... HAH!! I think I can count on 1 hand the number of beer I've tried of theirs I actually wanted to buy more than once.

I think I might be an outsider here, but I think all the complaints about beer prices are contrary to the way home brewers should be thinking. Lets's consider the market for wine. If you asked vintners and wine connoisseurs what the price tag is for the most prized bottles of wine, they'd be much high than the aged brett beers of Russian River, many Belgian beers, and the special releases of many breweries. Why do some, and especially us home brewers, think that the price tag for beer should be dirt cheap for BMC and no more than a few bucks extra for the greatest beers in the world? I've never really felt ripped off buying beer unless it's been infected or beyond its time. If I didn't like a beer, there are thousands of others who probably did and it just wasn't to my taste.

Overrated???
The Rodenbach Vintage 07
Consecration
Supplication
Eric's Ale
Jolly Pumpkin Noel de Calabaza
Cantillon Lou Pepsi

I kid. I'm drinking them all now! !!!!!!

I think I might be an outsider here, but I think all the complaints about beer prices are contrary to the way home brewers should be thinking. Lets's consider the market for wine. If you asked vintners and wine connoisseurs what the price tag is for the most prized bottles of wine, they'd be much high than the aged brett beers of Russian River, many Belgian beers, and the special releases of many breweries...

Aye, just because I find a specific pricetag a bit steep doesn't mean I'm NOT going to drink it (in the case of my aforementioned Allagash brews)

I do, however, think that there is some wiggle room to whine, just a bit, when the hype (and cost) of a particular brand outweighs the quality of their product.

I actually went out today and bought 2 more pints of the Avery "Sixteen" (at $8.00 a bottle) because:

A. It's on sale
B. It's a really nice beer that was only made once.

And why are people hating on Fat Tire? It's certainly not worth the price you pay for it, but it's good. Their winter beer (2 below, maybe) was really good, I think.

Fat Tire is facing a back-lash, a victim of its own success. It was hyped because you couldnt get it east of the Mississippi River for the longest time. So it was sort of taboo. Now that everyone can get it, the fad is over.

And I agree with you, its a fine beer. There is nothing BAD tasting about the beer.

Fat Tire is facing a back-lash, a victim of its own success. It was hyped because you couldnt get it east of the Mississippi River for the longest time. So it was sort of taboo. Now that everyone can get it, the fad is over.

And I agree with you, its a fine beer. There is nothing BAD tasting about the beer.

East bound and down, loaded up and truckin',
we're gonna do what they say can't be done.
We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there.
I'm east bound, just watch ol' "Bandit" run.

Keep your foot hard on the pedal. Son, never mind them brakes.
Let it all hang out 'cause we got a run to make.
The boys are thirsty in Atlanta and there's beer in Texarcana.
And we'll bring it back no matter what it takes.

Yeah, I remember when it was first introduced in Indiana. Everybody at IU was flipping out and it was being sold for $2a can. Yes... cans. If it were cheaper, I'd be drinking it all the time. It's tasty and quaffable. But yeah, over-hyped, and definitely overpriced.

For me it is Yuengling, Pyramid, Magic Hat, Samuel Smith and Anchor Steam. Then any beer brewed by a BMC company that poses as a microbrewery. I think Sierra Nevada is a bit over rated as well, mainly their IPA.

What do you think of Blue Moon? That's Coors.

Sierra Nevada's IPA is okay, IMHO. It introduced me to Citra hops, and I'm brewing a heavily modified clone of it right now.

It's going to be wierd as hell, though. Between an IIPA and an American barleywine. MO, munich, crystal 40, a bit of melanoidin + aromatic, and a couple pounds of honey. A little Magnum for bittering and tons of late Centennial and Citra additions. Going to dry hop with some Centennial and Citra, too.

I'm not talking about hard to find beers or extremely high priced beers. Just popular beers that aresold at "import price" in most bars that you might think why would anyone pay good money for that beer. Just curious to see what all of you think on this. Here is my list.

1. Heineken (I heard Heineken in Holland was 100% better, but I think what we get here in the states just plain sucks)

2. Corona (don't think it sucks, but it certainly isn't worth the price)

3. Guinness (I like it, but it doesn't hold a candle to most good microbrew stouts, and even other large commercial stouts such as Beamish.)

4. Harp (don't think it sucks its just not that good)

If it is possible to post a pole after the thread has some responses I might post one with the options being anything anyone wrote. Hope to get some responses I am curious as to what you all think on this issue.

Your top three are dead on and I've never had the desire to try Harp, but I bet I would agree on that one too. I would have a Heineken if in Holland and would definitely want to drink Guinness in Ireland. If I want a Mexican beer its Pacifico or Negro Modello.

Shiner Bock....I like the beer (a lot actually) but at import prices why?? I live 2hrs from the brewery why should I pay import prices on it?

Same with Sam Adams...

If your paying import prices on Shiner in Texas, than you are not arguing enough, I always get Shiner at domestic beer prices, especially when it's domestic beer night at some places. If the place refuses to serve you shiner at domestic prices then don't go there anymore.

cheers

I would agree with the majority of the posts.

Although, I really wouldn't consider Yuengling a overrated high price beer. In the Syracuse area you can get Yuengling for the same price as bud light.

Heineken and Corona have my votes for the most overrated beers on the market.

Back